Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom cowboys!

Options
  • 22-06-2011 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

I'm moving to a new address where the phone line has been disconnected by the former tenants.

Now I'd like to get it reconnected and get broadband through the line, but after speaking to Eircom they will only do this if I agree to pay them line rental for 6 months @€;25.47/month.Basically entering into a contract with them.

Add this on top of the €40/month that another provider has quoted me if I want just a basic broadband package!!

This company tells me that what eircom are trying to do is illegal! Eircom on the other hand state that they can basically hold the line for ransom until I agree to pay them the money!

Somebody plz help, I've spent over two hours on the phone today trying to resolve this!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Eircom are charging you ths because they are claiming there is no line in the place you are moving. They can charge what they want for providing a line, but they put it over 6 months so you'll prob get you calls and broadband with them as its too much hassle to do it any other way.

In the new place, plug in a phone and dial 199000.

If there is a line in place the recorded message will tell you the number attached to the line. If you do this and there is a line active, you just have to move your account which will be free, you can just carry on the way you were in your old house.

This will only owrk if you had an eircom account already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

It seems to me that ome cost is clearly required to activate the line. You can either arrange this with Eircom or some other provider can arrange it, but Eircom will not do it for nothing. Eircom can provide broadband in a package for the 6 months for less than €40 extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Is UPC an option as then you don't need a phone line?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Kavs wrote: »
    I'm moving to a new address where the phone line has been disconnected by the former tenants.

Now I'd like to get it reconnected and get broadband through the line, but after speaking to Eircom they will only do this if I agree to pay them line rental for 6 months @€;25.47/month.Basically entering into a contract with them.

Add this on top of the €40/month that another provider has quoted me if I want just a basic broadband package!!

This company tells me that what eircom are trying to do is illegal! Eircom on the other hand state that they can basically hold the line for ransom until I agree to pay them the money!

Somebody plz help, I've spent over two hours on the phone today trying to resolve this!

Hi
    same thing happened me, i moved into a house where there used to b a eircom line but it had been cut of - i was told (by them) that i had to go with them to get the line active again and that i would have to stick to a 6 month contract. I got my home phone and broadband for €54 per month and that included free landline calls and free mobile calls after 6pm and on weekends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kavs

I was not previously with eircom, I was with UPC and had a great package with them.

I'm wondering now is it even possible to get broadband with another provider during the six month period that Eircom want to lock me into.

ardmacha "Eircom can provide broadband in a package for the 6 months for less than €40 extra."
    ya but its a far inferior package, ie. 10GB download limit/month!

P.s(I have no need for a phone)

This is so frustrating that they can get away with this!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I was not previously with eircom, I was with UPC and had a great package with them.

I'm wondering now is it even possible to get broadband with another provider during the six month period that Eircom want to lock me into.

ardmacha "Eircom can provide broadband in a package for the 6 months for less than €40 extra."

Do the 199000 test. Or call 1901 from the line.

From eircom.ie:
    In–situ: If your home previously had an eircom home phoneline, all line work is in place and you wish to reconnect, the connection charge will be FREE (worth €24.99)

It could be free, dont mind the eircom sales team you called they might be just giving you worse case sinareo

They can as I said there's a charge to connect a disconnected line what ever way you look at it.

PS I couldn't move into a house if telephone broadband was the only option, its that expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Which provider do you plan to use for broadband in the new place? If its UPC as someone said you dont need that phone line. UPC dont use phone lines for their broadband.

UPC not an option its out in the sticks!

All this seems to be is a desperate ploy by Eircom to grab customers by holding the line for ransom.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So eircom putting you into a 6 month contract for a new phone line install is illegal?, this isn't accurate at all.

If you want out of the contract then pay eircom, if not then stay with eircom.

While I personally don't agree with this relatively new addition by eircom (6 month contracts on PSTN lines) its been around for about two years now and they do display it on their website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Talk to eircom

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi Kavs
    To have the eircom phone line activated it is true that you will enter into a 6 month contract, however unsuitable, this is not illegal but part of standard contract and business practice. We would never state that we can hold a liner for 'ransom'. This contract is to provide you a servicable telephone line to your premises. If yuo PM me your address / or old line number I can have a look at this situation for you.

Tony

Any update on this Tony?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Any update on this Tony?

Hi Kavs,

Thanks for PM.

Tony has replied to you and asked you to confirm some details.

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Any of the wholesale providers can activate an eircom line for you.

Just ring whichever your chosen provider is, and get them to do the necessary!

If you plug in a phone and dial 199000 you will get the line ID number read back to you automatically by the exchange.

If there's no line active at all, then you will need to provide accurate address information and that should be it.

It's generally no big deal if there's been a line there recently or if the wiring's in place.

If there's no wiring in place, then it gets pricy.

Advertisement