Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

12 seater minivan hire USA

Options
  • 22-06-2011 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

looking into renting a 12 seater minivan in new york this year. The one thing that i am worried about is the licence requirements for driving 12 passengers as i think the max in Ireland on a full irish licence is 9. I rang the car rental reservations centre and they to were unsure. would anyone have any info thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

If they're happy to give it to you on your current license status I don't see the problem.

In the states of all places they're not gonna give it to you unless you're covered to drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

well thats the thing dont want to turn up with everyone and then be refused at the desk !!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

could you rent 2 normal minivans ? surely somebody else has a licence

yeah looks like that might be the safe option, a bit more expensive (thats why i was looking into just one) but better safe then sorry. dont fancy the walk from jfk =)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

whacker00 wrote: »
    yeah looks like that might be the safe option, a bit more expensive (thats why i was looking into just one) but better safe then sorry. dont fancy the walk from jfk =)

Ask them out straight can they give it to you on a regular license or not!

• Advertisement

whacker00 wrote: »

well have the money for 2 minivans ready, bring your second driver too as the fallback plan , the US doesnt catagorise vehicles by people capacity until the limit of 16 people so i cant imagine why they wouldnt rent it to you using their own laws . but just incase be prepared to rent 2 7 seaters

well have the money for 2 minivans ready, bring your second driver too as the fallback plan , the US doesnt catagorise vehicles by people capacity until the limit of 16 people so i cant imagine why they wouldnt rent it to you using their own laws . but just incase be prepared to rent 2 7 seaters

thanks mate defo the best way

also if your still stuck, once their over 18, the state of new york says its ok for them to ride in the bed of a pickup truck , rent a cehvy colorado or similar and get 6 in the cab and 6 in the bed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Give one of the "Downtown" locations in New York a call. Numbers should be listed on the rental companies website. I'd suggest Downtown rather than an airport location as they are usually a bit quieter so the staff have more time to answer questions.

Depending on when you got your licence, you may have D1 on it. I only discovered a few years ago that I can legally drive vehicles up to 16 seats, and up to 7.5Tons. Only passed one test in a Corsa, but got those categories as well.

Advertisement