Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

primary schools ,educate together or local national school ,which is better ?

• 22-06-2011 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

hi all,my daughters present national school is going thru a teacher crisis ,she has an opportunity to transfer to a educate together school,im just wondering if anyone can shed some light on the difference's regarding curriculum .educate together school is on dublins northside

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The only difference in curriculum should be in RE.
    As for what's better? Every individual school is different. Being an Educate Together school or a Catholic school shouldn't affect the standard of teaching.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

It's also commonly said that there is a very definite difference in 'atmosphere' (for want of a better word) in Educate Together schools.

I have no personal experience, only what I have heard from quite a few people who have. Pupils call their teachers by their first names and there would appear to be a different emphasis on discipline and rules. (e.g. rules regarding hair/uniforms etc.).

I have heard it said that ET schools are less academically inclined, favouring a more holistic approach.

All that said, as Insect Overlord pointed out, the only curricular difference is in Religion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Kathnora

Yes, the only difference should be Religion. But...... a lot of the newer ET schools do have a large percentage of EAL children whose command of English may not be very good thus necessitating the teacher to teach the class at a lower level. Parents also seem to have a greater role in the running of the school too.... might not always be a good thing depending on the parent! Disciplne does appear to be more relaxed too and as we all know if it's too relaxed the work doesn't get taken too seriously.

Advertisement