Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 1961-2011

Options
  • 22-06-2011 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭

Some really lovely photos of Dublin from 1961-2011 I think Grafton Street came off worse but love the way most of the planted trees were given the time they deserved to overshadow some of the photos.Oh...someone was busy with a powerhose (look how clean the buildings are) ;)

Dublin,50 years apart

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

This was done by another Boardsie ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

looked better back in the day tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

looked better back in the day tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

So many nice buildings demolished and replaced by ugly modern buildings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Ha, did you see the big copyright message- guy has no concept of the internet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Looked better fifty years ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

LordSutch wrote: »
    Looked better fifty years ago!

And busier and more efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

You people are crazy people! I'm all for nostalgia, but the Dublin in the photos, with two exceptions, did not look better 50 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Einhard wrote: »
    You people are crazy people! I'm all for nostalgia, but the Dublin in the photos, with two exceptions, did not look better 50 years ago!
    Oh i agree totally! I think Grafton St has disimproved though and the majority improved. Im all about the trees right now though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

gbee wrote: »
    And busier and more efficient.

A busy picture with 20 lads on bikes and a pat the baker van equals an efficient city eh ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

When you switch to the new photos it's like someone with an afro has just sat in front of you at the cinema. There's trees in the way of everything.

ScumLord wrote: »
    There's trees in the way of everything.
    ....and its brilliant :D

A-Trak wrote: »
    A busy picture with 20 lads on bikes and a pat the baker van equals an efficient city eh ;)

I'll bet you they got their deliveries done faster, earlier and fresher.

ScumLord wrote: »
    W There's trees in the way of everything.

Yes. I love trees, but we have had superphenomenal growth in trees, some growing ten year's worth in a season. This is part of the weather changing phenomenon and they are dangerous and should be felled.

Trees should never have been left to grow to this dangerous level nationwide, I must add, but we have experienced rapid and unexpected but not unprecedented growth as tree ring analysis of ice age trees show. They usually grow to massive size and girth before the onset of colder conditions.

But. these trees represent more danger to the nearby building and tenants than the cold spells that are coming and more death will result as these trees, most, without adequate root structure, will topple over in the very storms that they are trying to prepare for and they will kill people.

A national felling program should ensue immediately, no tree by roadsides, no houses or schools within tree toppling distance, far, far too many have exceed their envisioned height from when first planted.

What we need to do is plant more forests with trees of all kinds.

What we need to do is plant more forests with trees of all kinds.
    While im on your tree loving buzz...im not sure a whole forest would do very well by the Spire :o:p

anniehoo wrote: »
    While im on your tree loving buzz...im not sure a whole forest would do very well by the Spire :o:p

I should have added, in more appropriate places than in a city centre. I'll keep my comments on the Spire for another thread. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

This was done by another Boardsie ;)

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Fago! wrote: »
    Who?

PaulW. Check the original thread in the Photography forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Yes. I love trees, but we have had superphenomenal growth in trees, some growing ten year's worth in a season. This is part of the weather changing phenomenon and they are dangerous and should be felled.
    wha?
    you have a source on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

PK2008 wrote: »
    Ha, did you see the big copyright message- guy has no concept of the internet

Guy, me, has a very good grasp of the net. And, I've successfully dealt with people who've used images before without my permission. :D

Nice to see people appreciate the work. Lots of publicity about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

great set of photos. one thing which always fascinates me about older collections like those are that bridges, dont look like bridges. I cant really put my finger on it, but there seems to be no joining if that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

great shots..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

The 1961 pics were doing the rounds last year, we discovered my grandad in one of them when we looked :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Jaysis there was some amount of cyclists back then!

I agree with others though, looks much better back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I will never, ever forgive the planners of this city, EVER.

The Grafton St / HMV change is astonishing.

...EVER

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

People still breaking the pedestrian lights at college green its around since then :)

The one thing that amazes me in the difference is all the cigarette advertisements is it a wonder a lot of older people smoke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I already mentioned that I prefered Dublin in the 1961 shots, and here's a few reasons why.

Picture No:2 Nelsons Pillar V the Spire, the spire looks too tall & too skinny, wheras the old Pillar seems to be in proportion with its surroundings (height & width)!

Picture No:5 Interesting observation in this shot, look at the tree in the 1961 picture (to the right of the white Ford Anglia), and now look at that same tree today! fifty years growth, (and yes it is the same tree), look closely at the branch growing out the righ hand side.

Picture No: 13 Christchurch looked good in 1961, cant see it now due to those bloody trees.

Picture No 19: Shame the photographer didn't take the pics at the same time of the day, Tide is in on the old 61 pics, and out on the new pics which makes an unwanted distraction on the Liffey pics!

Advertisement