Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel Prices for big events

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Vizzy wrote: »
    Been trying to "book" the various hotels(single room in each hotel) and to be fair Dooleys and the Bridge don't increase their fees very much next week.
    The Tower is booked up from next wednesday so I can't get info for the Tall Ships festival prices but the price for next Weds is €150 versus €65 for tomorrow night.

This is the very point that I am making,if other hotels can hold their normal prices next week,how can others justify a 2.5 times increase ?

The Tower, just like any other hotel has a fixed numebr of rooms. xx Singles, xx doubles xx twins xx suites.

All of these rooms are priced differently.

On a regular midweek they will usually be discounted (€65 for a good hotel room is very cheap), with an event, they will revert to their normal prices, probably €100 or so, but once the standard rooms are gone, you're left with the suites or premium rooms which are always more expensive, even on a mid week in January.

They can't create extra rooms.

All hotels also have to abide by the maximum room price as provided by them each year to Bord Failte - this is the published rate, so its not in their interest to have this too high as people won't look at them.

And finally - you're leaving it very late to book for what is quite a big event, that's your fault, not the hotel's!

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

Most people are unaware that hotels are not allowed to raise their rates for special events. Each room has a maximum price set on it and the hotel can't charge above this price. The price is usually €350 - €500 per night.

When you get a hotel for €75 a night you are getting the room at a greatly reduced rate. It's not that hotels are raising their rates in peak times, it's that they are dropping their rates in quiet times.

Supply & demand, but the begrudgers will always cry "Rip off Republic". I am not involved in the hotel industry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

MajorMax wrote: »
    Supply & demand, but the begrudgers will always cry "Rip off Republic". I am not involved in the hotel industry

I think we can all learn a valuable lesson here, when Ireland held the Autumn interantionals last year and there was empty seats around the stadium, the IRFU straight away revised their ticketing prices for the 6 nations.

For hotels to reduce their prices, people have to stay away.

ssbob wrote: »
    For hotels to reduce their prices, people have to stay away.

Hotels have reduced their price and now Ireland is the CHEAPEST place to stay in Europe (Hotels.com survey), and for that reason tourism numbers are up substantially already this year. (CSO figures)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

maxer68 wrote: »
    Hotels have reduced their price and now Ireland is the CHEAPEST place to stay in Europe (Hotels.com survey), and for that reason tourism numbers are up substantially already this year. (CSO figures)

Sorry for hotels to reduce their prices for big events people have to stay away, I am sorry that i disn't get this point across.

In fairness most hotels make an effort on normal weeks and you can see a massive reduction in prices.

Can you tell me where you heard that about tourism this year as I am unsure about this? And how do you know that it is specifically down to cheaper hotels?

• Advertisement

ssbob wrote: »
    Sorry for hotels to reduce their prices for big events people have to stay away, I am sorry that i disn't get this point across.

In fairness most hotels make an effort on normal weeks and you can see a massive reduction in prices.

Can you tell me where you heard that about tourism this year as I am unsure about this? And how do you know that it is specifically down to cheaper hotels?

A hotel has to take ina certain amount of money. They budget that they can take in €xx on certain week and €xx on others. This allows for very low prices on some weeks, subsidised by the higher prices on other weeks.

That how hotels, trains, planes, ships work worldwide. And I say fair play to the waterford hotels for still charging reasonable prices for what is a very big event in the area. - Try getting a decent hotel under £200 in London during Fashion week!

Tourism figures for 1st 3 months were released about 10 days ago and widely reported upon in the newspapers.

Advertisement