Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good cycling books

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Nope. He made a mistake, he was honest about it and he is a reformed character. Better than the guys who deny everything in the face of overwhelming evidence.

Everyone deserves a second chance, he is making the most of his. I admire him for that.

But didn't they have to kinda drag the truth out of him?
    I prefer those who don't cheat

F*ck all that sh!te. He didn't make a mistake. He deliberately cheated.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Hermy wrote: »
    But didn't they have to kinda drag the truth out of him?
    I prefer those who don't cheat

F*ck all that sh!te. He didn't make a mistake. He deliberately cheated.

Yes, but he has also come out as one of the most outspoken riders about doping, which I think is a good thing -certainly much better than the wall of silence put up by Vino, DiLuca etc etc. He's freely and openly said that he wouldn't have admitted to doping if he hadn't been caught, but once he was he's (in my mind) been suitably repentant, and is visibly working to make the sport a better one.

Also, I like him for this:

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

Millar is a legend!
    I can't stand Millar

I didn't have too strong an opinion either way, and haven't read his book, but having read this Guardian interview I'm leaning towards Hermy's opinion.

Yes, but he has also come out as one of the most outspoken riders about doping...

Just thinking, has he had any run-ins with Armstrong? You know the way Armstrong gets upset when people speak out like that.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

Just thinking, has he had any run-ins with Armstrong? You know the way Armstrong gets upset when people speak out like that.

There's one mentioned in the interview I linked to in the post above yours.

Very ambiguous comments, aren't they?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

He's said before that he has had run ins with him, but also that he's a friend, and acknowledges that without some help from Armstrong, he'd never have got the breaks in the pro ranks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Just started reading it too, good to know. Millar is a legend!

Robert Millar is a legend. Had taste in sunglasses also, however some of his haristyles were, well lets just say best left in the 80's.

He is one of the type of anti doping advocates that will quite happily pontificate about the bad boys ofthe peleton, you know the guys that everyone loves to hate - Ricco, rasmusen.

Do you think he will ever say anything disparaging about Bertie, or Basso or Petacchi or Lance.

There are two types of dopers in pro cycling. Those that are accepted back and those that are not. Very easy ti speak out against the latter and keep quiet about the former.

To be honest, I prefer Vino - at least he is not a hypocrtite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

To me, a doping hypocrite is someone who cheats while disparaging those who are caught, then gets found out later in their career. Or use their "clean" image for profit beyond simply winning a race but to forge an entire career from it.

Millar cheated, was caught and paid his dues, and has now returned to the sport a reformed character, a reborn cyclist.

I don't see how that makes him a hypocrite.

I don't see how that makes him a hypocrite.

Because there are guys that he refuses to speak about or condemn, and guys who having committed the same crime finds it very easy to condemn.
    In my book, thats hypocritical and at the very least simply unfair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

ROK ON wrote: »
    He is one of the type of anti doping advocates that will quite happily pontificate about the bad boys ofthe peleton, you know the guys that everyone loves to hate - Ricco, rasmusen.

Do you think he will ever say anything disparaging about Bertie, or Basso or Petacchi or Lance.
    Quite right. Very like tough man Wiggins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

ROK ON wrote: »
    Because there are guys that he refuses to speak about or condemn, and guys who having committed the same crime finds it very easy to condemn.
    In my book, thats hypocritical and at the very least simply unfair.

He does seem to be a bit inconsistent in that. But then again mostly the people he refuses to condemn are only "rumoured" to have doped, not caught outright.

But I do like him as a rider. I think he works bloody hard for the team and he's also a very good writer and I'm going to enjoy reading his book. Same as I enjoyed reading Kimmage's. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

Just finished David Millar's book "Racing Through the Dark, The Rise and Fall of David Millar"
    Best book I have ever read, which is saying something as I have read most of the good ones out there,
    10/10

+1

only a few chapters in, but so far it's a cracking read.

I think hypocrite is a slightly strange description. Is everyone who makes a mistake and then speaks out about it going to be branded 'a hypocrite'?

I think hypocrite is a slightly strange description. Is everyone who makes a mistake and then speaks out about it going to be branded 'a hypocrite'?

I think mistake is a slightly strange description.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I think mistake is a slightly strange description.

How does "error of judgement" sound to you? :pac:

Malari wrote: »
    How does "error of judgement" sound to you? :pac:

Nah, don't like that either.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Its not a story book but I reckon anyone who uses a bicycle in traffic should read Cyclecraft by John Franklin

http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/

Cyclecraft, published by The Stationery Office, is the definitive guide to safe and enjoyable cycling for both adults and children. Whether you are new to cycling, looking to extend your skills, or wanting to know how best to teach your children to cycle, Cyclecraft offers practical advice on how to ride a bike confidently and safely in modern traffic conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Just finished Wide-eyed and Legless, which was enjoyable.

Read Samuel Abt's book with LeMond (can't remember what it was called and have since loaned it on) and Fignon's book recently too, enjoyed both, taking each point of view with a cynical eye.

Interesting discussion above re Millar. I would like to read his book. His comments on his doping past are refreshing, but reluctance to have an opinion on Armstrong and Contador while blasting away at Ricco et al is very disappointing.

Can't say I think much of his hipster look either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Bumping this thread to say I bought WIDE-EYED AND LEGLESS by Jeff Connor in a local bookshop on Saturday (192 pages.) I read it in one sitting that night, which says I liked it.

It covers the story of the ANC Halfords cycling team in the 1987 Tour de France (Stephen Roche's year.)
    The team was Malcolm Elliott; Bernard Chesneau; Guy Galopin; Graham Jones; Kvetoslav Palov; Shane Sutton; Steve Swart; Adrian Timmis; Paul Watson.

Plenty of behind the scenes stuff about a disorganised, inexperienced, under-resourced team living the dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

Really enjoyed Bad Blood by Jeremy Whittle.

Also a great book for dipping into is Pedalare pedalare a history of Italian cycling. The last few times I've gone into the coffee shop at the local book shop I've read some of this book. The bits around WW2 and after have been really interesting. How cyclists assisted the resistance, how after the war the Giro lead to ethnic riots and how Bartali winning the 48 Tour de France is credited with stopping a revolution/civil war in Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I enjoyed Pedalare! Pedalare!
    Info here

Advertisement