Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 407

Options
  • 22-06-2011 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hey, anyone got an opinion on these cars?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A 307 with huge overhangs

I wouldnt unless its really cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Diesel or petrol? Good car to drive but I personally think Peugeot dropped the ball after the 406.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mackrel

Thanks, petrol I'd think but I don't mind either way. What would be your suggestion on spend up to around 5000. Looking for something like passat a4 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Well all cars have their issues, petrol or diesel. The Peugeot is a far superior car to drive than a Passat or A4 for that matter. The German stuff holds value much better than the French stuff so for 5k you should be 2 or even 3 years higher with a Peugeot.
    Get on to the Peugeot 407 fourms and trawl through the site to see what the known issues are - sorry I'm not to familliar with the issues.
    A lot of Irish people think anything French is rubbish, and some of it is, but not all of it.
    The Passat has some serious issues with a steering rack and parking brake, all of which are expensive to put right. But for 5k, you are looking at a car that has the mileage done and issues sorted out possibally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

I know someone who has one and it's given so much trouble. Only 5 years old and 25000 miles and so many things are after going wrong with it.

Not a nice car to drive either when ever ya push the accelerator there's a good bit of lag before it does anything. This is the petrol one by the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭thom119

my dad has a 2005 2l diesel
    I think it's a nice car style wise, plenty of room in the front and back, decent on diesel (dont know the exact figures)
    Bit of poke when needed and a good motorway cruiser

my dad's had a bit of trouble with sensors, but it's been covered under warranty.
    When you're buying one make sure to have a good look at the screen above the radio, my dad's one sometimes goes off for no reason at all, can be fairly annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

All you need to know is here...:)
    http://www.407owners.com/forums/

The petrols should be bought for small money and are pretty reliable..:)

The 1.6hdi's need to be serviced on the button or can cause turbo failure if not....Dmfs can also fail around 120-130kmls...but this is a common failure on nearly all diesels today...:rolleyes:

The 2.0hdi's are pretty reliable also but again dmf's can cause greif.

Genarally..Watch out for worn lower balljoints (these were modified from 08) they also tend to go tru a few abs sensors in there lifetime.

@thom119...the fading display above the radio is usally down to heat...these
    were also modified....:)

Best of luck...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Petrol 407s are dirt cheap these days and no complicated DPF, turbo or Common Rail injectors to potentially replace like the diesels.

Dynamically there are better cars out there though and not a patch on the 406 it replaced.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Petrol 407s are dirt cheap these days and no complicated DPF, turbo or Common Rail injectors to potentially replace like the diesels.

Dynamically there are better cars out there though and not a patch on the 406 it replaced.

The 406 is a brilliant car. Not even close to the amount of trouble from that fecking 407. One I can actually enjoy driving and get used to. Maybe some 407's are better than others but the one I drove was a right hape

the little display in that is also starting to go. as well as at least 10 other things. nothing wrong with the engine though except that it lags.

I have to say the 406's were one of the best peugeot models they ever made....:cool:
    But like all modern makes/models the 407's are packed with ecu's communicating with each other and if one sensor fails e.g. abs sensor it will cut the cruise control...Sat nav etc until that sensor has been replaced.
    I'm afraid its all part and parcel of modern cars today.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

I love the look, comfort and handling in a well sorted 407. Lovely car but I'd prefer go for the 1.6HDI myself over any of the petrol versions.

What type of real world MPG could you expect from the 1.8l model?

johnos1984 wrote: »
    What type of real world MPG could you expect from the 1.8l model?

Usally between 32-38 mpg's...:)

Row wrote: »
    Usally between 32-38 mpg's...:)
    They are shockingly cheap on the used market

They are shockingly cheap on the used market

Tbh if you can live with the running costs e.g. mpg and high road tax they are a grand car...:)

Row wrote: »
    Tbh if you can live with the running costs e.g. mpg and high road tax they are a grand car...:)
    I came close to buying a 1.6lHDI as a cheap car 2 years ago. In fact I had a deposit down. It was shockingly cheap. Was always a bit sorry I didn't go for it.

It was 3 years old, full service history, ex rep car all for 5k. No issues but was a little but ropey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭D16TURBO

Hi,

I've a 2005 2.0 HDi its got quite low mileage at 59000. But I do have some issues like the lower ball joint and the egr but these are easily replaceable.
    The egr needs to to be coded to the the car tho.

I went for the 2.0 as they are more robust and just an improved version of the 406 engine. Its not as economical (48-54mpg indicated) as the 1.6 hdi but you will lose the savings pretty quickly as they tend to give more trouble.

But to be honest I think its a great car. Its got plenty of gadgets standard, looks great and really nice to drive. Had it all the way to Genoa and it didnt miss a beat.

Had test driven a4's, passats and mondeos all the usual stuff and this was the best all round for me. :cool:

D16TURBO wrote: »
    the 1.6 hdi but you will lose the savings pretty quickly as they tend to give more trouble.
    I'm surprised at that as they are being put into everything.

I drove a new Mazda3 HDI this evening and have to say the engine was great as was the rest of the car. Very under rated

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Anybody got any thoughts on the SW models

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    Anybody got any thoughts on the SW models

Thats the one I drove and it was a complete hape. I hope the others are better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭D16TURBO

I'm surprised at that as they are being put into everything.

I drove a new Mazda3 HDI this evening and have to say the engine was great as was the rest of the car. Very under rated

Well that might be the reason we are aware of more problems because of the sheer number that are out there.

My mum had that engine in an S40 and was great until it went wrong. Main dealer serviced and it still acted up.

Daegerty wrote: »
    Thats the one I drove and it was a complete hape

:):)That one way of saying you did'nt like it..:)

The 1.6 hdi's in the Sw's are alittle under powered...I'd go for the 2.0 136 bhp...:)

The 1.6 hdi's need tlc when it comes to servicing....its better every 3rd service or so to use a good engine flush before dropping the oil and refill with 5w 30 fully syn oil.
    I have the 110bhp (407) and have used mobil 1 5w/30 esp fully syn which has a low ash content (dpf friendly).Saying that I change oil and filter every
    9k mls and have had no problems....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭StevePH

This looks decent value (in my my not-so-expert opinion!) for an 05 motor -
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Peugeot/407/1.8***Sa/201107201315628/advert?channel=CARS
    ..it is a model not highly thought of my many...or could it give problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

colm_mcm wrote: »
    A 307 with huge overhangs

It sits on a lengthened 307 platform, just like the Passat sits on a lengthened Golf plat. Also the interior is far superior to the 307s.

pajo1981 wrote: »
    It sits on a lengthened 307 platform, just like the Passat sits on a lengthened Golf plat. Also the interior is far superior to the 307s.
    I still think the 407 weather petrol or diesel is under rated value in this sector

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I've had a 2004 407 for three years, only problem I had was an issue with the earth wire connected to the rear light cluster, made error messages come up on the computer. Great car to drive, no complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Davidtipp

Anyone with 407 questions, shout!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I still think the 407 weather petrol or diesel is under rated value in this sector

I often thought about buying one but always said Nah. I owned two 405`s fairly reliable only for the old back axle. The 89 one was a GTTD IIRC. It had every extra at the time. Definitley the nicest car I ever owned and thats out of 30+ cars....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Davidtipp

D16TURBO wrote: »
    Well that might be the reason we are aware of more problems because of the sheer number that are out there.

My mum had that engine in an S40 and was great until it went wrong. Main dealer serviced and it still acted up.

Service intervals need to be halved to at least 10,000kms. They give no trouble then.

• Advertisement

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I often thought about buying one but always said Nah. I owned two 405`s fairly reliable only for the old back axle. The 89 one was a GTTD IIRC. It had every extra at the time. Definitley the nicest car I ever owned and thats out of 30+ cars....:)
    I had a 407 HDI coming with high mileage. Had agree to it only for the brother in law talked me out of it because it would explode any day now :rolleyes:

I ended up with a Clio forged by Satan himself

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement