Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 407

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

A friend of mine has one of these yolks, a 06 1.6 diesel.

Think the wheel sensors are an issue with these, they are easily broken when changing tyres and they are expensive to replace.

I can't say I would recommend, it constantly has the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. He's had some stuff replaced already and now another sensor is gone and its in limp mode.

The interior is absolutely brutal looking compared even to a 98 passat I had, maybe I'm just used to German cars though.

The ride quality seems pretty good in fairness though but its not something I would drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Davidtipp

PaulKK wrote: »
    A friend of mine has one of these yolks, a 06 1.6 diesel.

Think the wheel sensors are an issue with these, they are easily broken when changing tyres and they are expensive to replace.

I can't say I would recommend, it constantly has the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. He's had some stuff replaced already and now another sensor is gone and its in limp mode.

The interior is absolutely brutal looking compared even to a 98 passat I had, maybe I'm just used to German cars though.

The ride quality seems pretty good in fairness though but its not something I would drive.

They are a weak point especially some fella dogging the tyre off with a tyre lever. Otherwise they're ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    Anybody got any thoughts on the SW models

I remember being in the boot of one (don't ask why!) and found it strangely claustraphobic for an estate.
    pajo1981 wrote: »
    It sits on a lengthened 307 platform, just like the Passat sits on a lengthened Golf plat. Also the interior is far superior to the 307s.

I think it's based on the C5 rather than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mackrel

I've been looking at a few of these 407's. Seem great value for whats out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

mackrel wrote: »
    I've been looking at a few of these 407's. Seem great value for whats out there.

Are you thinking of petrol or diesel..??

• Advertisement

Row wrote: »

Are you thinking of petrol or diesel..??
    Probably petrol but not sure. I've been looking along the lines of passat bmw a4 but these seem to offer great value for money which may well sway me.

Probably petrol but not sure. I've been looking along the lines of passat bmw a4 but these seem to offer great value for money which may well sway me.

Tbh there are no major problems with the petrol 407's thats if you can live with the running costs of a petrol...As you can see the resale value on petrol 407 is very poor.
    Best of luck...Just watch out for worn balljoints...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

I have had a 04 2.0 diesel for the last few years. The issues I had were:

1. Broken front spring. Not the car's fault. Freeeeeezing temperatures last Jan and enormous speed bumps.
    2. ABS sensor needed replacing. Rear left. Not a big job, I got a mate who works at cars to do this. We noted when doing it that the rear right had previously been done. As Row mentioned, this affected the sat nav, cruise control etc.
    3. Earth connection in the rear light cluster caused warnings when the brake pedal was pressed. Very easy fix. 10 mins on the internet and I seen how to do it myself.
    4. I have the xenon self leveling heads. One of them stopped working for a week (stopped self leveling when turned on). Weird. It is working now.

All in all I really like the car. It is very well finished. I have the HDI Executive with leather trim and a tiptronic/Auto box and colour sat nav. The car, in my opinion, is much better to drive than many of the others I have driven in it's size class (brother has an A4 and a mate has a BMW 3). It's handling is great with it's double wishbone at the front. I would agree that there is a bit of lag when you press go... but seriously, nothing major. I got mine remapped to 160 and it is excellent.

I think if you go in with your eyes open it is a great car. I had what I would describe as only minor problems. Also... way better to drive that the 406. Done know why some people love them so much.

On another note... does anyone know where to get a replacement lid for the armrest in the centre console? I had mine up in the lazy/comfy position, leaned over to open the passenger door and broke it :o

Satanta wrote: »
    I have had a 04 2.0 diesel for the last few years. The issues I had were:

1. Broken front spring. Not the car's fault. Freeeeeezing temperatures last Jan and enormous speed bumps.
    2. ABS sensor needed replacing. Rear left. Not a big job, I got a mate who works at cars to do this. We noted when doing it that the rear right had previously been done. As Row mentioned, this affected the sat nav, cruise control etc.
    3. Earth connection in the rear light cluster caused warnings when the brake pedal was pressed. Very easy fix. 10 mins on the internet and I seen how to do it myself.
    4. I have the xenon self leveling heads. One of them stopped working for a week (stopped self leveling when turned on). Weird. It is working now.

All in all I really like the car. It is very well finished. I have the HDI Executive with leather trim and a tiptronic/Auto box and colour sat nav. The car, in my opinion, is much better to drive than many of the others I have driven in it's size class (brother has an A4 and a mate has a BMW 3). It's handling is great with it's double wishbone at the front. I would agree that there is a bit of lag when you press go... but seriously, nothing major. I got mine remapped to 160 and it is excellent.

I think if you go in with your eyes open it is a great car. I had what I would describe as only minor problems. Also... way better to drive that the 406. Done know why some people love them so much.

On another note... does anyone know where to get a replacement lid for the armrest in the centre console? I had mine up in the lazy/comfy position, leaned over to open the passenger door and broke it :o

Thanks for the post. I'll let you know how I get on.

I have had a 04 2.0 diesel for the last few years.
    The car, in my opinion, is much better to drive than many of the others I have driven in it's size class (brother has an A4 and a mate has a BMW 3).

Driving....You're doing it wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

PaulKK wrote: »
    Driving....You're doing it wrong.
    Not necessarily if it's being compared to a 115bhp A4 or a 318 BMW.

Also depends how much value is being placed on handling and comfort.

johnos1984 wrote: »

I was referring more so to the 3..

Even a 318i would handle far better than a 407.

A 407 would be a lot more comfortable alright.

johnos1984 wrote: »

He had 2 A4'a, both 130bhp Avante, one was 'sport'. The sport one was too solid to be considered comfortable. The other one was fine, but I still prefer the 407. Driving position and comfort were way better. Mine has fully height adjustable electric seats, which I dont think comes on all models, so maybe that makes a difference too. I didnt find any difference power wise really as the 407 was 136bhp at that stage (before I remapped it). And in practice with the tip box the peugeot was actually a bit faster up to 60. It would do 60 in second gear so there was a full gear change of a difference.

As for the BM. When I went to buy the car I was actually heading off to buy a 320d. I was very dissapointed in the car because I really liked the look of them. I felt the ride was too solid, and when I was driving through a town I never felt as if I was in the right gear. The cabin is cramped. The pedals are too close together and I felt as if I was sitting at an angle as they were closer to the centre of the car. This was an 04 model. I drove the Peugeot and found it ticked all the right boxes for me. My mate has since got the newer 07 version and I tested that as well but didnt find a significant improvement.

As for handling and comfort, the car is set up for for comfort than speed. I obviously place importance in comfort. The 407 is a very smooth car. And handling wise I thin it is also quite good also. I am no boy racer so I dont go throwing it around corners like a tool, but I feel quite confident driving round most secondary roads at the speed limit and the car corners perfectly. The front is grippy and the back follows the front.

I am by no means a brand fan. Just giving my honest opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cootehill

Sorry for jumping into this conversation - I've had a 2007 407 for just over 2 yrs now and i have to say it has been the best money i spent. Not a minutes hardship with it. I bought it in the north and the spec was top class - full leather, sat nav the full works.Its the 2ltr HDI GT version. Like i said best car i've had so far

I know the 407's suffer from lower balljoint failure due to water ingress(Modified in 08) but i find the roadholding 0n the 407's unreal...Peugeot have always been passionate about roadholding and have always been well in there when it came to updated suspension systems.
    Like most french cars the 407's have been somewhat underestimated but tbh they have always been up there compared to the toyota's..vw's..fords etc..:)

I think French cars got there bad name years ago due to poor electrics...but this was due to the fact they were fitting elec windows/Remote C-locking in most of there models 20 years ago when all they other manufacturers were dreaming of these extras....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 fear tuath

I bought one of these 23 months ago private sale 60kmiles,its was a genuine car with full srevice history and i knew the owner.'now has 135k on is .Biggest heap of crap ever De pollution system faulty,ABS sensors ,Ball joints ,Particle filter (6oo euro),Crank pully disenterigated and nearly cost me my engine,front disks.Its now in Lee motors in Cork with the clutch bearing and fly wheel in bits looking at 1400 euro to fix and they want to give me 2500 on a trade,never again will i buy a Peugeot.:mad:

:mad:
    fear tuath wrote: »
    I bought one of these 23 months ago private sale 60kmiles,its was a genuine car with full srevice history and i knew the owner.'now has 135k on is .Biggest heap of crap ever De pollution system faulty,ABS sensors ,Ball joints ,Particle filter (6oo euro),Crank pully disenterigated and nearly cost me my engine,front disks.Its now in Lee motors in Cork with the clutch bearing and fly wheel in bits looking at 1400 euro to fix and they want to give me 2500 on a trade,never again will i buy a Peugeot.:mad:

The mad thing is that all modern diesels today have particle or (particulate filters which can block) dual mass flywheels..which fail around 100k mls+..:mad:
    I know if you get your main dealer to do all the repairs this will cost a fortune..there are alot of small garages out there who can do this work for alot less......when the particle filter..dual mass flywheel has been replaced then you should be fine for another 100k mls of motoring..sadly owners spend a few grand on these repairs and sell the cars off for a song...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ecospace

completely agree with fear tuath -a piece of crap. The mrs has a 06 1.6 hdi with only 60 k on the clock , in the last 12 months we have replaced

1. Front ball joints - again
    2. 2 of the abs sensors
    3. Rear light cluster

And just the other day the abs warning popped up again - more sensors i suspect

As the owner in the past of a 406, mondeo & passat among others i would say its the worst car in terms of reliability, build quality and tbh handling i have seen in quite a while. Stay well away is my advice

ecospace wrote: »
    completely agree with fear tuath -a piece of crap. The mrs has a 06 1.6 hdi with only 60 k on the clock , in the last 12 months we have replaced

1. Front ball joints - again
    2. 2 of the abs sensors
    3. Rear light cluster

And just the other day the abs warning popped up again - more sensors i suspect

As the owner in the past of a 406, mondeo & passat among others i would say its the worst car in terms of reliability, build quality and tbh handling i have seen in quite a while. Stay well away is my advice

1. Front ball joints - again common fault but modified in 08.2. 2 of the abs sensors common fault sensors are siemens vdo...once replaced they rarely give trouble.
    3. Rear light cluster no need to replace cluster only upgrade rear earth supply...:)

Name me a car that does not give trouble...??....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

I've a mate of mine with a 2004 407 1.6 HDi from new, with over 100k miles clocked up - they're very happy with the car, but that's from someone who had a Nissan Primera 2002 (02–08 model) which gave them a lot of trouble! Yes the 407 has had troubles too (as I have read here), the screen in the dash on his 407 is now hard to see, the only thing which is a problem is the button for opening the boot on the boot lid, the zero in (407) has stopped worked, the only way they open the boot now is from the key, is this an earth problem too, or does anyone know what the problem is?

P.S. I checked to see was the button disabled in the menu system - it wasn't. I also checked the contacts in the boot lid button!:confused:

• Advertisement

GeneHunt wrote: »
    the only thing which is a problem is the button for opening the boot on the boot lid, the zero in (407) has stopped worked, the only way they open the boot now is from the key, is this an earth problem too, or does anyone know what the problem is?

P.S. I checked to see was the button disabled in the menu system - it wasn't. I also checked the contacts in the boot lid button!:confused:

Open the boot and remove the flexible rubber conduit which holds the boot wiring harness...you should find a broken wire(s) blue or brown...:)
    The harness is cabled tied to the body in the boot (left side) this stretches the harness and inturn breaks the cables tru time...i have seen this happen a few time...i'll see if i can find some photos later and i'll post them up..:)

Heres a pic of broken cables in a 407 booth lid which feeds the "0" button..:-)..worth checking.

Image1314.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Monty.

As usual with cars these days, most of the major/pricey probs seem to be with the diesels.
    What are the petrol 407's like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Thanks Row for the quick reply, I'll check the wires the next time I see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

I've a 07 407 bought it with 40k on the clock now has 240k on the clock I use it as a taxi and it's the best most comfortable car I've ever driven

• Registered Users Posts: 32 fear tuath

Row wrote: »
    :mad:

The mad thing is that all modern diesels today have particle or (particulate filters which can block) dual mass flywheels..which fail around 100k mls+..:mad:
    I know if you get your main dealer to do all the repairs this will cost a fortune..there are alot of small garages out there who can do this work for alot less......when the particle filter..dual mass flywheel has been replaced then you should be fine for another 100k mls of motoring..sadly owners spend a few grand on these repairs and sell the cars off for a song...:confused:
    Got 407 pack today and its going fine again,what next to go wrong with it?i was told to keep an eye on the front suspension.

fear tuath wrote: »
    Got 407 pack today and its going fine again,what next to go wrong with it?i was told to keep an eye on the front suspension.

The only real problem with the front suspension on the 407 is the lower balljoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Hi,

Got an error message coming home today saying deplouttion system faulty anybody have any advice? it's a 1.6 hdi

Take it for a long drive. If it still persists you might need to get the dpf fluid topped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Take it for a long drive. If it still persists you might need to get the dpf fluid topped up.

This happened in dublin and i was going to carlow and was still the same later on. it also was a bit stuttery every so often and felt like there was a lose of power (acceleration) last part might have been paranoia

• Advertisement

racso1975 wrote: »
    This happened in dublin and i was going to carlow and was still the same later on. it also was a bit stuttery every so often and felt like there was a lose of power (acceleration) last part might have been paranoia

The "deplouttion system faulty" really be anything from turbo overboost,maf sensor,low fuel pressure,blocked dpf..etc...etc
    I have a contact with peugeot planet in around Dublin if you need to get faults read..;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement