Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunsoghly Castle - St. Margaret's

• 22-06-2011 11:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭

It took me a while to find out the name of the castle but I've always been curious about it when I drove past. Does anybody know what condition the castle is in and is there public access to the it? I had a look at the satellite pictures on Google Maps and saw there's a farm yard and various outbuildings just behind it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

That's the one that was used in the filming of Braveheart IIRC. I believe it's in pretty good condition, but unfortunately it's privately owned so there's no public access. There's plenty of info in the Web if you do a search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Since I posted I've found more info on it. Yea it's an awful pity there's no public access & it's a pity the owners don't do more with it. It would make a great tourist attraction especially since it was used in Braveheart.
    It looks like it's in very good condition. Here's a good photo of it;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eigjb/3204574863/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I recommend the OP get If a Towerhouse Could Talk: The History of Dunsoghly Castle and the Plunkett Family by Eddie Jordan. It's a recent publication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Back in the 70's myself and my brother used to go to Dunsoghly Castle to do some plane spotting. The house closest to the castle used to hold the key and all you had to do was knock on the door and ask for the key. We then climbed the stairs to the top where there was a good view of the airport.

I would say all that changed as insurance became a major factor. I would imagine that the owners can't take the risk of a claim.

A terrible shame but it's a sign of how things have changed in this country.

The very interesting chughes,
    Obviously they couldn't let people in nowadays because of insurance purposes but I've also read that in recent times people who have tried to get a closer look at the castle have been hunted off the land. So I'm wondering is the castle owned by the same people that owned it back in the 70's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭BollickyBill

PWEI wrote: »
    It took me a while to find out the name of the castle but I've always been curious about it when I drove past. Does anybody know what condition the castle is in and is there public access to the it? I had a look at the satellite pictures on Google Maps and saw there's a farm yard and various outbuildings just behind it.

I was in Killarney recently and I visited Ross Castle which is a towerhouse like Dunsoughley. The guide there mentioned Dunsoughley and said it was the only one of these towerhouses with the original roof timbers still in place. I've never been in it so I can't verify that. To quote another poster, yes it is a pity that it is not open to the public. The place in Killarney makes a few bob from tourists. It's also a pity that the producers of Braveheart didn't leave the wattle village they built for the set of the film. That would definitely generate an income for someone.
    Another little known fact about Dunsoughley is that the '80s group Cockney Rebel filmed a video there for one of their songs. It was either "Come up and see me-make me smile" or their version of "Here comes the sun", I'm not sure which but it was one or the other.
    Regards,
    BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭BollickyBill

PWEI wrote: »

Fair play to you. I brought back memories. Jimmy Saville must be a fair old age now.
    Regards,
    BB.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

This is what I found :

The castle was built by Sir Thomas Plunkett probably some time around the middle of the 15th century. It consists of a central block, four storeys high and square corner towers, which have corbelled roofing.

The wooden roof on the top floor, which has been partially replaced, is the last original 15th to 16th century roof in the country to survive. It served as a model for the modern reconstructed roofs at Rothe House, Kilkenny and Bunratty Castle, County Clare.
    Just to the south of the castle is a smallchapel which has lost its chancel and which bears over its north doorway a representation of the Instruments of the Passion inscription I P M D D S and the date 1573.

Parts of the old bawn of the castle are incorporated in a neighbouring farm building.

ACCESS IS VERY RESTRICTED AND REQUESTS MUST BE MADE IN WRITING TO THE KEYHOLDER, MRS MARY WALKER.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 xmac1x

Well I can confirm that the timbers on the roof are the best preserved medieval towerhouse timbers in Ireland. However It was built by Robert Plunkett around the mid 1400's. There isnt a current keyholder as the castle is a national monument in ownership of the state since 1914 and is landlocked by the surrounding farmland.

You should read "If a towerhouse could talk" if you are in anyway interested in the history of the castle. Some great photos of the castle and the very colourful history of this particular branch of the Plunkett family.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

xmac1x wrote: »
    Well I can confirm that the timbers on the roof are the best preserved medieval towerhouse timbers in Ireland. However It was built by Robert Plunkett around the mid 1400's. There isnt a current keyholder as the castle is a national monument in ownership of the state since 1914 and is landlocked by the surrounding farmland.

You should read "If a towerhouse could talk" if you are in anyway interested in the history of the castle. Some great photos of the castle and the very colourful history of this particular branch of the Plunkett family.

Can you apply to live there? You know how you can live in national momuments in the UK, can you do the same in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 eddiethecastle

Hi Guys
    great to see so much interest in this wonderful almost forgotten towerhouse, the seat of the Plunkett family for nearly 400 years.
    As the author of" If a Towerhouse could Talk" I think i should be able to answer any questions you might have. the book was the result of nearly 3 years research and writing, and is the only work on this castle covering the entire period since it was built up to the present day.
    To fill you in briefly, conservation plans are in the pipelin between the National Monument service and the landowner and I am confident that they will eventually lead to this gem beingiopened to the people who own it, the citizens if this country.
    So watch this space and feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to answer them.
    If you live in Blanchardstown get the latest free newspaper the Gazette and there is an article on a recent visit I arranged to the castle with over 50 people from varous history and heritage groups. I hope to be able to repeat the visit in the not too distant future
    Im new to boards.ie so be gentle and patient.
    Regards
    Eddie

Fair play Eddie and welcome to Boards.

If there are any more trips being organised in future, I'd love to attend, if that's possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Hi Guys
    great to see so much interest in this wonderful almost forgotten towerhouse, the seat of the Plunkett family for nearly 400 years.
    As the author of" If a Towerhouse could Talk" I think i should be able to answer any questions you might have. the book was the result of nearly 3 years research and writing, and is the only work on this castle covering the entire period since it was built up to the present day.
    To fill you in briefly, conservation plans are in the pipelin between the National Monument service and the landowner and I am confident that they will eventually lead to this gem beingiopened to the people who own it, the citizens if this country.
    So watch this space and feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to answer them.
    If you live in Blanchardstown get the latest free newspaper the Gazette and there is an article on a recent visit I arranged to the castle with over 50 people from varous history and heritage groups. I hope to be able to repeat the visit in the not too distant future
    Im new to boards.ie so be gentle and patient.
    Regards
    Eddie

Is your book available in Hardback? Following this thread, sounds like it would be very interesting, and a keeper -hence would be nice to have in hardback, but was only able to find it in paperback on a quick online search.

Hi Zagato

unfortunately its not in hardback. I self published and the hardback would have cost much more.I hope in the future to have it printed in hardback but for now its only available in paperback

Regards and thanks for the enquiry
    Eddie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Me and my Dad viewed this place about 15 years ago. We knocked on the key holders house Lovely man and woman let us in and gave us a brief history of the tower:)

Hi Zagato

unfortunately its not in hardback. I self published and the hardback would have cost much more.I hope in the future to have it printed in hardback but for now its only available in paperback

Regards and thanks for the enquiry
    Eddie

Thanks for getting back, I suspected as much, it's a very expensive process alright

Hi Ronan

yes, I too have fond memories of visiting the castle with my dad in the early 1070s. Unfortunately safter Braveheart was filmed there, access was erstricted due to Occupiers Liability Act and Health and Safety etc. I remember getting the key as a teenager and letting ourselves in and getting out on to the parapet / roof. Things were much simpler then and none of us were injured, nor did we do any damage to the old castle.
    Nanny State mentality has a lot to answer for.
    Anyway, hopefully the castle will again be accessible to the public in the not too distant future

Regards
    eddie

Hi Ronan

yes, I too have fond memories of visiting the castle with my dad in the early 1070s. Unfortunately safter Braveheart was filmed there, access was erstricted due to Occupiers Liability Act and Health and Safety etc. I remember getting the key as a teenager and letting ourselves in and getting out on to the parapet / roof. Things were much simpler then and none of us were injured, nor did we do any damage to the old castle.
    Nanny State mentality has a lot to answer for.
    Anyway, hopefully the castle will again be accessible to the public in the not too distant future

Regards
    eddie

Jaysis Eddie, you must be one of the oldest posters on Boards if you can remember back that far :D

They dont call me "Highlander" for nothing!
    and I seem to remember some thing about older fiddles and sweeter tunes???:D

• Advertisement

Great to see you popping in Eddie, I've given your book as a gift to a couple of friends. :)

Hi Scientician
    sorry for delay in coming back
    Thanks for the support, obviously you bought two copies of my book.What is your connection with the castle? Did you live in the area at some time?
    I am delighted with all the interest as it is my aim to do my best to increase local interest and knowledge in Dunsoghly castle so that the public will again have easy access and possibly it will be a major tourist attraction for North County Dublin, on a similar scale to Bunratty or Blarney castles. Its every bit as good as any medieval castle in the country and the Plunkett family who built it deserve proper attention. Enough of the soapbox
    Thanks again

Eddie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Hi Scientician
    sorry for delay in coming back
    Thanks for the support, obviously you bought two copies of my book.What is your connection with the castle? Did you live in the area at some time?
    I am delighted with all the interest as it is my aim to do my best to increase local interest and knowledge in Dunsoghly castle so that the public will again have easy access and possibly it will be a major tourist attraction for North County Dublin, on a similar scale to Bunratty or Blarney castles. Its every bit as good as any medieval castle in the country and the Plunkett family who built it deserve proper attention. Enough of the soapbox
    Thanks again

Eddie

Hi Eddie, Can you give us some names of people who could gently lobbied to have the catle opened. There are some good sights around Fingal from Dunsoughly to Bremore and Drummanagh in Rush. The biggest airport in Ireland only 15-20 minutes drive and yet so little tourism. Would certainly be a great opportunity if Dunsoughly and other listed and historical buildings were put on some sort of tourist map for Fingal and North Dublin

HiLleo B

Just to update you on the tourist possibilities. At the moment, the landowner and National Monuments Service and OPW are in the final stages of a conservation plan for the castle in keeping with the landowners plans to develop the surrounding farmyard with tourism in mind. At this stage I am awaiting to see this final Plan and am very optimistic that it will indeed result in Dunsoghly castle being opened to the public , who after all actually own it (since 1914)
    As soon as I see it and I expect this to be in the immediate future, i will let you all know.It really is wonderful to see this level of interest in what has been my passion for a number of years.
    In th meantime I checked out the Cockney rebel link and I am amazed. In all my 3 years research and writing, i failed to turn up this gem.The video is incredible and really 1970s. Great Stuff!.
    Watch this space for further developments

Cheers
    Eddie

Hi Eddie,
    I live in Swords and the brother lives in Finglas so we're always passing the castle.
    I really look forward to being able to tour the castle at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Thanks for all the great postings about the castle just a quickie - would this castle be a "listed" building - and would this mean that the public should have access one day of the year (or did I make that up)?

I think you may have made that up.

It's not very difficult for a building to end up being listed, so it will certainly be listed - this is really not very relevant as it is already owned by the state. When a building is listed it mostly just restricts any alterations to it, but may also allow access to grants to perform renovations.

I'm pretty sure listed buildings don't have to give people public access 1 day per year -but to be fair I don't actually know this

Hi folks
    sorry for delay, but I was away in Wexford researching my current history project.
    Just to clarify the Castle status.
    1.Dunsoghly castle is a registered National monument owned by the citizens of this country
    2.It is a listed protected structure with Fingal County Council.
    3. It is also governed by the powers and requirements of the Dublin Airport Authority as it lies in the middle of what they call the runway red zones. These are the wedge shaped flight paths approaching the main runway.
    4. It is maintained and controlled by the Office of Public Works, which is part of the Dept of the Environment , Heritage and Local Government.

All of these bodies have a say and you might be forgiven for thinking that its somewhat overprotected, but I remain optimistic that common sense and pragmatism will ressult in this wonderful towerhouse being opened up at last to those who own it, we the public.

Hope that helps to answer a few of the questions raised. I cannot verify your suggestion that it should be open one day a year as I never heard of this before, but I may stand corrected. Anyone els have any thing to add on this

Regards
    Eddie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Book is also for sale @ Newbridge House in Donabate for those interested. I live right next to the castle, and was delighted to pick up a copy since I'd been passing the castle every day for years and always wondered about it's history :)

Would be great to see it open to the public.

I love castles :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I think I know the people that own the land. Well I did years ago so not sure if it's the same people now. Did Phil Lynott use the castle in a video?

Hi Kon Fusion, thanks for the support and the plug. Its particularly appreciated when you self publish and self distribute and self do just about everything.I too am passionate about castles and on a recent trip to Wexford came across two of the best I have ever seen, Rathmacknee with its almost complete bawn wall and a house within actually inhabited, and secondly Siggonstown Castle with the ruins of a 17th century manor house extension to the side.Both really impressive and worth a visit if youre ever in the area.
    Dunsoghly will be open to the public, just watch this space

Kind regards

E:pac:ddie

Hi Yosser,
    I know Cockney Rebel used Dunsoghly castle as a prop for recording "Here comes the sun". If Phil lynott used it I would be delighted to get the details if anyone can confirm. Wouldnt it be wonderful!!!:D

Eddie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Erithian

Eddie and others - as a first-post newbie I don't know if everyone else here is in Ireland and whether you can get BBC4, but you might like to know that the Cockney Rebel "Here Comes The Sun" video has featured in several of the 1976 archive editions of Top of the Pops that have been shown recently, and the castle is creating a bit of interest. Take a look at these threads (go straight to the bottom, they're long!)
    http://freakytrigger.co.uk/ft/2008/05/popular-76/#comment-903320

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=52465391&posted=1#post52465391

Good luck with the campaign to boost access to Dunsoghly.

Forgot to reply to this. Just wanted to thank you Eddie for all the updates. I look forward to the day when it's accessible to the public & I can take my daughters along to see it & tell them the history of the castle. In the meantime I will be getting your book the next time I'm in Donabate Demesne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Trademark

Only just heard of your book now Eddie. I went to school in St. Margarets and lived about a mile from the castle on the old N2. There was always a rumour in school that there was an underground tunnel linking the castle to the old church/graveyard up the road from the newer church in St. Margarets, never found out if it was true or not.

For people who haven't seen it in Braveheart yet, I have an easy way to remind them - "You know when the Longshanks baddie throws the sons lover out the window? Very next scene is farm yard kinda stuff with the castle in the background!"

It works for most people anyway :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 West Brit

Fly into Dublin last weekend, we landed from the East. I was sitting on the left hand side of the aircraft just before touch down I noticed what looked like an old Castle situated in a farmyard. Found it on google maps:
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=53.426641,-6.31602&spn=0.000003,0.002411&t=h&z=19&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=53.426555,-6.315881&panoid=Vq-sWL93R_HeDe2kFpwlbQ&cbp=12,298.03,,0,9.21
    Just intrigued to know what it was and what it now is if anyones got any more info
    Cheers
    WB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Threads merged.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 32 West Brit

Wow, it is a proper old castle! I thought it might of been some derelict Victorian folly just because it was in part of a farmyard rather then looking like a significant bit of architectural history would do. In a way its quite nice that its not surrounded by car parks and visitors centres and cafes etc. and left in splendid "rural" isolation (well as rural as you can be on the flight path) Its current situation seems to me charming and frustrating in equal measure though.if the tax payers of Ireland own and pay for its upkeep (and rightly so) then there must be a right of access to their heritage otherwise what's the point? Here in the UK it would be owned by the national trust or English Heritage and there would be access at least during parts of the year.

It is great to see so much interest in this fine old castle. You are perfectly correct in what you say.It is in great condition and in a natural surrounding not destroyed by commercial enterprise. On the down side, while the Irish taxpayers do in fact foot the bill for its upkeep, which is minimum , just enough to preserve it, access is denied as it is situated on private farmland.
    Hopefully this will eventually be resolved to the satisfaction of all parties and the poublic will be able to enjoy this gem of Irish history on the doorstep of Dublin. You really have to get inside the tower to really appreciate it.

Eddie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Aideen45

I think I know the people that own the land. Well I did years ago so not sure if it's the same people now. Did Phil Lynott use the castle in a video?

Hi Yosser Hughes!
    i've just by chance come across these posts while trying to find the Video recorded at the castle back in the early 70's....yes there was indeed a recording done there I was born in the cottages just beside the castle and can remember Thin Lizzy being there my older sister even got Phils autograph on the day......but i can't seem to find the video posted anywhere :-(

And yes the same people still own the land there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Aideen45

It is great to see so much interest in this fine old castle. You are perfectly correct in what you say.It is in great condition and in a natural surrounding not destroyed by commercial enterprise. On the down side, while the Irish taxpayers do in fact foot the bill for its upkeep, which is minimum , just enough to preserve it, access is denied as it is situated on private farmland.
    Hopefully this will eventually be resolved to the satisfaction of all parties and the poublic will be able to enjoy this gem of Irish history on the doorstep of Dublin. You really have to get inside the tower to really appreciate it.

Eddie

Hi Eddie can i first of all start with saying thank you so much for all the posts and information on Dunsogly castle. I was born in newtown cottages which are just beside the castle and a lady from the same used to hold the key for many years and as a child i was allowed into the castle when supervised by an adult.
    ive only come across these posts tonight while trying to find the Thin Lizzy Video which was recorded there in the early 70's but not having much luck finding it.
    I've only just found out tonight also that you have written a book on the Castle and i can't wait to get my hands on a few copies,
    thank you once again for all the info on here and like everyone else with an interest in Dunsoghly Castle i can't wait for the day when it opens again to the public, it's been to long since :-(
    really looking forward to reading your book,
    thanks so much!

Hi Aideen

thanks for the lovely comments. Regarding my book, I self published and self distributed and just about did it all myself to reduce costs. If you are interested in a copy or just a chat on the Castle <mod snip - no personal contact details in posts - PM only> I would love to talk to someone who lived beside it.
    I have an Australian family coming over in April who are descended from the Dunsoghly Plunketts.They bought the book on line through the publishers. I have some copies here and can arrange a sale directly. Are you based locally now?
    Love to hear from you

Regards
    Eddie:)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cs5

Great to see I'm not the only one with fond memories of being in this castle.

As a kid I visited the castle many times (lived in North Finglas) and have many fond memories of it. The last time I got access to the interior was in the late 80's. Myself and a friend cycled up from Finglas and got the keys from a nice woman in the cottages on the way into the village. We spent about two hours in total inside.

Myself and my wife drove past it today and I was saddened to see the entrance was all boarded up with corrugated sheets. I don't remember all those farm buildings being there in the 80s either.

I'd LOVE to see the inside of the castle again.

Will deffo pick up a copy of that book on the history of the castle.

Seems access to the castle has been an issue for some time:

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/1997/02/19/00066.asp

Hi to all those who have expressed an interest in this wonderful towerhouse at Dunsoghly, near St Margarets in Dublin.
    I will be at the Castle on Saturday bringing a local Historical Society to view and hear about the Plunketts of Dunsoghly, with access to the towerhouse itself thanks to the OPW.
    There is room for a few more visitors so if any of you are interested please let me know and just turn up on next Saturday at 2.30 pm, for a rare opportunity to see this magnificent historical towerhouse.
    Best directions are exit the M50 at Junction 4 (Ballymun / Naul).take the R108 (Direction Naul) and continue for approx 2.3 kms to a T junction. Turn right and (Direction Naul) and proceed straight to a roundabout. Go straight at this roundabolut and take the first left turn signposted Dunsoghly lane / Newtown Cottages (L7231) and follow this road into Dunsoghly. You cant miss the Catsle as it looms up in front of you and dominates the skyline.
    There is no charge or fees on the day. I will have some copies of my book on the day for anyone interested in finding out more information on the castle and the Plunkett family who lived there for 14 generations.
    Hope to meet some of you on Saturday

Regards
    Eddie Jordan

Would absolutely LOVE to but I'm working on Saturday. Shame it's not on Sunday. If you are ever doing it again I'd really love to tag along.

I had hoped to get along to this event but circumstances went against me. How did it go? anyone any pics? Will it happen again?

Hi Chughes

pity you couldnt make it.
    The visit went very well, with a group of 21 from Balbriggan Historical Society, plus a few friends and contacts. We also had a couple from South Carolina who were on holidays and saw the detasils on Boards, so take a bow Boards!
    I didnt take any photos but maybe some of the others did. I have taken so many shots at the castle over the last few years. I cant say when I will be doing another visit, but if I do I will certainly put up the details on Boards again for you.
    Hope to see you there sometime

regards
    eddiethecastle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭Six of One

We made it along to see the castle and were delighted to have done so. It was great to have Eddie there, he gave us lots of backround info on the castle and the history of the Plunketts. Tommy from the OPW was there too and he was talking about access to the castle which was interesting. I will post some pictures now.

Thanks again Eddie!

• Advertisement
Advertisement