Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a direct bus Limerick to Dublin?

• 22-06-2011 11:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

Can seem to find a direct bus on Bus eireanns site

With train 10euro fares gone and the new advance booking system very poor looking for a cheap bus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,464 ✭✭✭✭Victor

bigpink wrote: »
    Route 12: http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1302770042-12.pdf However, it doesn't seem to be in their journey planner.

Adult Single details... €9.90
    Student Single details... €9.90
    Child Single details... €9.90
    Adult Midweek Return details... €19.80
    Child Midweek Return details... €15.30
    Adult Day Return details... €19.80
    Child Day Return details... €15.30
    Adult Return details... €19.80
    Student Return details... €17.55
    Child Return details... €15.30
    Family Return details... €39.60
    With train 10euro fares gone and the new advance booking system very poor looking for a cheap bus
    You can still get them you just need to book ahead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

True you can get them but i looked for a matter of interest and the next 10 euro fare is in 2 half weeks
    There is the odd 16 euro at like 05.30 before you could always get an very early train one then the 10 or 11 am and one in the afternoon every day for 10euro i.i off peak

The 20.55 last train to Dublin was always 10 euro aswell often got it but thats 30 now online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

They do run direct buses, I got one the weekend before last. I'm not sure, but I think they may run two buses on the hour, one for the express, and one which takes in the stops all the way up.

There was an hour in the difference, as it happens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

And the price?

JJ kavanghs airport bus might be worth a look i think it stops in the city centre too

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Victor posted a full list of prices up there.

They don't always run the express bus though. You usually have to stop everywhere along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

And the price?

JJ kavanghs airport bus might be worth a look i think it stops in the city centre too

€17.55 return for a student, if you book online you get a 10% discount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 xxsunshinexx

There is a direct bus from Limerick to Dublin at half six on a sunday evening with bus eireann.. and as mentioned above two buses run at that time one that stops everywhere and one that goes direct, its the same price whether you get the direct or not.. but the direct has you in Dublin for nine. :)

On a Friday evening bus eireann have a direct bus coming back to Limerick at quarter past five and its takes slightly longer than the Sunday (2h 3/4 maybe)

They don't seem to advertise them at all.. I found them by accident! Maybe there are more times... I'd love to know if there are..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The 10e fares are not gone- you just need to look far enough in advance for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 carofrancais

Hi,
    I know this thread is a bit old but I just came across this bus and it is FAB! so comfy, really nice staff and Limerick to Dublin DIRECT via the motorway in 2hours 30... this company needs to be supported :)
    and a single is only €10

http://dublincoach.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 23 datrias

<snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

The problem with this bus is only one service per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

• Registered Users Posts: 23 datrias

True, but it is the most direct\fastest\cheapest. If demand grows they may add more departures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

The new bus service is really great.

I would be one of those people who would never consider travelling between Limerick and Dublin by bus, but the new service has completely changed that.

It's quick, clean, cheap and it gets you right into the centre of both Limerick and Dublin. And there's one every hour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

I often get the JJ Kavanagh bus to Dublin airport, its quite expensive at €20 one way!! Its also quite slow because it takes in every town along the way!

I've never got the Dublin Coach one, but its only €10 and its much quicker! Reached the airport 1 hour quicker than the Kavanaghs and you have to change at the Red Cow. I think the Dublin Coach buses have wi-fi to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭sav1980

I've used these guys before and they're really good
    http://www.kellytravel.ie/plaza-express/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭finbarrk

This is the best service. I can't see myself using the train too much any more.
    And it's safe to leave the car overnight in UL.
    Maybe that one on the previous thread is ok too but I haven't used it. Kellytravel.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

finbarrk wrote: »
    Maybe that one on the previous thread is ok too but I haven't used it. Kellytravel.

I tried out the Dublin Coach service last Thu and, even though I've got the free bus/rail pass :) , I'd much prefer to pay for this journey to/from Dublin! The hourly - prompt - schedule is great, the drivers are helpful, and the buses are clean (at least the two I was on). Just remember if you're parking in the UL carpark (far preferable/safer to parking at either of the Limerick, or Charleville train stations) that you need three single euro coins to exit ...

The dropoff/pickup stop, just opposite the Westin Hotel in Westmoreland St is perfect as you're right in the middle of town - and you don't have to cope with dodgy people on the Luas from Heuston! My only grumble would be that the seats aren't the most comfortable, but then it's only a 2 1/2 hour journey. So I hope this service continues to be successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

UL and pay for it. You must be mad. My mother used this service for 4 weeks up and down to hospital and parked in Annacotty, walked up the hill and hopped on the bus. Dropped her off in the same place. Handy as feck.

Oh and Major Gripe I understand is the toilet situation. They are not just locked, they are bolted shut. I presume this is because they have nowhere to empty the thing on the route so just lock it up but on a Friday evening when you might have to queue on Westmooreland St for a good 1 hour to get on a bus(mother had to when the tall ships were in town to get home to Limerick) then 2.5 hours on the bus you wouldn't want to have to use the toilet.

OK, each to his own! I had considered the Annacotty option, but didn't fancy the hike from parking the car to the bus stop - and I don't know the area. If I was using this bus service more regularly, then obviously there would be a scramble for the jogging shoes! However, for a reasonably stress-free transfer to Dublin city centre, every month or so, I won't begrudge UL three euro to park my car adjacent to the bus stop (and - as happened to me on Thu, the barrier can sometimes be left open, so free parking on my return! But this was just as well as I didn't have the correct change).

Hadn't considered the absence of onboard 'facilities', but I travelled out of rush hour - and although the bus was full both ways, there were no massive queues. Anyway, it is something people should bear in mind, and at least it's getting discussed here!

The main object of the exercise for me is ... getting to Dublin city centre from my home in West Limerick, quickly, in reasonable comfort and without too much transport-hopping, paying toll charges, or Dublin parking charges (or parking my car where it mightn't be when I get back)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I agree. I don't use the bus and my mother hates the bus but the "Green Bus"(as she calls it) has converted her away from the train. She is now recommending it to anybody who needs to get to Dublin and back.

She met a girl on the bus who said she had gone up to have lunch with her boyfriend who works in Dublin all week. Headed up at 11am on a wednesday morning and was home by 5pm. Mad Ted, Mad. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Can't sing the praises of it enough. Really like the fact that it leaves from Arthur's Quay in the city centre rather than the train station and arrives in the heart of Dublin city.

I'm incredibly curious as to how it makes money though! So many departures, so cheap, and the best fleet in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

would highly recommend the Dublin Coach / Green Bus, usually have to travel most weekends to see the bf or him to me on the same bus. Driver had asked me once would I like him to wait with me while getting collected late, won't forget it, just so kind, they're all great staff.
    Also let me take my case on if it's not busy, which is great being so forgetful or if I leave it under I ask them to remind me it's there and they have! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I didn't pay anything to park the car in UL. I left it in the car park beside the Aquatic center and walked back to the bus stop. There didn't seem to be any barrier there anyway. Maybe it was up when I was entering and leaving and I didn't notice it.

I didn't pay anything to park the car in UL. I left it in the car park beside the Aquatic center and walked back to the bus stop. There didn't seem to be any barrier there anyway. Maybe it was up when I was entering and leaving and I didn't notice it.

Knew I'd forgotten to mention something! Yes, there is free parking at UL, but I haven't had time to suss out where it is. The three euro car park is just opposite where the bus stops, so easy to find and more convenient if you're running late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

Can you park overnight at this UL car park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Sera wrote: »
    would highly recommend the Dublin Coach / Green Bus, usually have to travel most weekends to see the bf or him to me on the same bus. Driver had asked me once would I like him to wait with me while getting collected late, won't forget it, just so kind, they're all great staff.
    Also let me take my case on if it's not busy, which is great being so forgetful or if I leave it under I ask them to remind me it's there and they have! :P

Love stories like this! Fair play to 'em!

LK_Dave wrote: »
    Can you park overnight at this UL car park?

According to an earlier post, it would appear so.

Advertisement