Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fingal Count Council - Based on a true story

Options
  • 23-06-2011 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

I was sitting on the bonnet of the auld fella's car yesterday in the car park on Mill Street, Balbriggan. Two council workers were doing some maintenance on the cobble like pathway on the canal side of the car park where our car was parked. A third council worker was scraping clumps of grass off of the under side of his lawnmower car-thing. You know the type, the small orange ones that do be flyin' around the streets.
    Anyways, a 4th council worker comes walking down between my auld fella's car and the one parked beside it and greeted me by saying "Council workers doing just that.. working.. a sight to see isn't it?," I chuckled and replied "I'd have expect to see another fella standing around just supervising these three,". His smile became a little less broad and said "That's what I'm doing,"

He wasn't lying. He continued on his way over to the other three to stand and watch the one fella cleaning the underside of his lawnmower.

That is all.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Haha, some things never change! There's usually one standing around breastfeeding a shovel or sweeping brush too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

such deadwood and waste these workers.....cut out the deadwood and you save money...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

A few years ago I had a small shop in swords opposite pennys. The road was closed one day and I could see the diggers working away down the road. Went out for lunch and looked down into the hole the lads had dug. 12 guys in orange vests standing around. As I was counting the guys a woman walked by and goes "theres 12 of them standing around, i counted them 20 minutes ago". Fingal must give their workers a class in "standing around and looking unproductive" and these classes havent been cut from the budget by the looks of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The council are doing some painting in my parents house for the past 3 days. Every day 3 workers would turn up, 2 painters and 1 guy who was driving the van, who just sat in it all day waiting for the painters to finish!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

I still can't get over this. The amount of money saved on axing some of these dose bag' jobs would be massive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

not defending the council workers as i have seen first hand the army of lads used for a simple job.

but in defence of the construction trade as a whole.......

in event of a hole being dug and something was hit like a water pipe ( which is hard enough to locate)

generally what happens is

the guy that was driving the digger is standing beside the hole scratching his head as he cant continue digging.

the guy that was suppose to make sure the digger did not hit the pipe is wondering how he hit the pipe.

so thats 2 guys already. then the engineer comes down to "F" the head of the guys for hitting the pipe. Then the Foreman comes down to "F" the head off the engineer for not marking the pipe on the ground. Then the council arrives with their army to turn off the water and "f" the head off all the previously mentioned guys. then the safety officer may also arrive too.

so when it comes to private companies...... the people there , although they look like they are just standing around , all have specific jobs all of which involve "f'ing" the heads off each!!!!

hope that clears things up :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Old but relevant

contstruction-workers-funny-pictures.jpg

Hard-at-Work.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Reminded me of this:-

image001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

28% of all Fingal County Council expected expenditure this year is on salaries and wages.

A futher 5% is "other payroll costs".

This thread reminds me where money can be saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

To single out council workers is a little unfair.

I would like to see the company in Ireland that does not have deadwood but we cant blame all the workers for that. Fingal might need to be streamlined but from what I see around Rush some of them are decent, the street cleaner does a good job, the Binmen are better than most private collectors and dont leave bins in the middle of the road or if they spill rubbish the attempt to pick it up. Fingal have been of great assistance to many clubs and as far as I know have been good to quite a few tidy towns committees around N.C.D.

Also when m,ore of their services are privatised and we are paying through the nose we will probably be calling for them to be re instated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

My granny used to say every job is easy , once you're not doing it , she was right .They used to laugh at the council men on their bike's , with the shovel and the brush , little did they know , that's why the road's did't flood like they do now , or that there would be grit for cold morning's left for them to spread where needed. They kept gullies clean and ditches and stream's running and knew the run of them, where they were and where they went too .Who clean's the blood n vommit litter etc off the street's ,who clean's up after fly tipper's and burnt out car's and the damage after car crash's.I hope you never get to see a major sewage pipe erupt due to a burst or the release of a blockage , what it shower's and cover's you in - ain't happiness and joy, I can promise you that .What about the fire men their council as well , sure they only fill a truck with water , put out the odd fire , and probably play card's and drink coffee between pulling people out of car's, river's and the sea.
    Go around to any grave yard in N.C.D at present , their all spotless in time for the various blessing's of the grave's.
    That is due to the hard working men and women of the council , working flat out , despite the weather in recent week's to have the graveyard's and public area's looking spotless all across N.C.D. , yes indeed , me granny was right .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

You'd swear we were calling for public hangings of Council workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭The High King

You'd swear we were calling for public hangings of Council workers.

I agree. Off with their heads.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Any posts that include sufficient information that may allow specific individuals to be identified will be deleted and the poster will be infracted/banned

Thanks

Beasty

Advertisement