Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English with Drama/ English with Film, which one?

Options
  • 23-06-2011 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭

I am currently mulling over in my head two ( well actually three) potential combinations, which all involve English, as stated in subject, English with Drama and English with Film

What is English and Drama like and is it interesting? How much work/hours there are, is immaterial, I just want to pick something that is both challenging and enjoyable while benefiting my overall degree at the same time

As well as this, what are the subject streams/ electives like for both film and drama?

And is English with Film relatively new, or am I thinking of something else?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

Hi OP.

Hope these links are somewhat useful :)

https://myucd.ucd.ie/programme_info/film_studies.ezc?pageID=1331

https://myucd.ucd.ie/programme_info/drama_studies.ezc?pageID=1327

Hope you choose the one that sounds the most awesome, and have a great time in UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Hey thanks a million for links, but having read them I'd still like a personal opinion on the course and people's opinion on one of them/either

Cheers

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

If you go through arts omnibus, you can take all 3 in first year and then drop one of them for your degree. I did English, which is very interesting, but can't comment on the Drama or Film. I would recommend the omnibus though, so you can try them all yourself and then decide what suits YOU best.

Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Enzuigiri

I went through Arts Omnibus originally to joint major in English and Philosophy. I took both drama and film as electives. By second year I had dropped both drama and philosophy, they just weren't for me. Neither was English for that matter, but the department does offer a reasonable amount of choice as regards what areas you prefer regarding literature.

I will say that Film is the only reason I kept doing the course. The classes are not a walk in the park, and many on their way in make that mistake and it's often over-registered. For the first lecture, in E114, people were out the door. By the second lecture, the number had halved. By the end of the semester there were only about 15 of us who were always there. I ended up enjoying film a lot more than I thought I would, so much so I'm hoping to go back to do the M.A. next September. If you keep up with the reading (which never, thankfully, gets to the level of English) the classes can be great.

Having done both combinations, I'd go for film hands-down. As a tester, go into Hodgis Figgis or the IFI and leaf through a copy of The Cinema Book (Ed. Pam Cook). It's a solid basic barometer of the subject before going in to the more specialized reading. If that book interests you, film studies is for you.

And yes, English and Film is a new course. I ended up on electives essentially getting a joint major by going back in third year (09-10) and doing the new classes which were added to the undergrad programme. Had English and Film been available then, I would have jumped at it knowing what I do now from dealing with everyone in the department.

Whatever your choice, best of luck to ya.

Advertisement