Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord and PRTB

Options
  • 23-06-2011 2:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭

Have just signed a lease and was wondering, is there anyway, without asking the landlord, of knowing if our landlord is registered with the PRTB? We were dealing with a letting agency but they had a disagreement and went separate ways. Following this the letting agent, who seems really nice, said the landlord was a so n so and we'd have difficulty with the LL etc and woul find it hard to ge our deposit back :/ anyway back to the question, is there anyway of knowing just incase shît hits the fan?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

It's not the landlord that is registered, it is each individual tenancy. you can check the register, although that is not updated quickly. When the tenancy is registered, you should also receive confirmation of same after a few weeks from PRTB. It has to be registered within 28 days of commencement, i think, or the fee doubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Did the letting agent not know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

When you say 'just signed' how long ago is just? The LL has 28 days to reg the tennacy. From your side of things it doesn't matter if they do or not...if they try anything shady you can still bring a case to the PRTB regardless if the LL reg's the tennacy with them or not. All that will happen is the PRTB will fine the LL for not doing it within the 28 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Did you sign PRTB forms when you were signing the lease? If not, then your tenancy is not registered, but you still have all your rights...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Thanks for all the replies

We signed the lease with the letting agency 3 weeks ago yesterday. We didn't sign anything with PRTB, it was litterally just 1 signature each at tg end of the lease

I didn't realise we could still file a complaint so that puts my mind at ease a little, hopefully there won't be any need :)

Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

January wrote: »
    Did you sign PRTB forms when you were signing the lease? If not, then your tenancy is not registered, but you still have all your rights...

Tenants don't now have to sign anything but do have to supply their PPSN.
    Registration by the landlord can be done on-line with the PRTB.

Aahhh I gave the letting agency my PPSN and was wondering what that was for, now I know :) thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

IPAM wrote: »
    We were dealing with a letting agency but they had a disagreement and went separate ways. Following this the letting agent, who seems really nice, said the landlord was a so n so and we'd have difficulty with the LL etc and woul find it hard to ge our deposit back :/
    Who did you give the deposit to?

the_syco wrote: »
    We were dealing with a letting agency but they had a disagreement and went separate ways. Following this the letting agent, who seems really nice, said the landlord was a so n so and we'd have difficulty with the LL etc and woul find it hard to ge our deposit back :/

the letting agent but it was passed to the LL as was the 1st month rent but rent from now on is being paid direct to the LL

the actuall lease was signed by me and letting agent, not by LL even after they parted ways is this ok?

the_syco wrote: »

the letting agent but it was passed to the LL as was the 1st month rent but rent from now on is being paid direct to the LL

the actuall lease was signed by me and letting agent, not by LL even after they parted ways is this ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Do you have a receipt saying that that the landlord has your deposit, or does it say that the letting agent has it? Otherwise it may become an issue 12 months down the road when the LL doesn't remember, and refers you back to the letting agent.
    So you have no lease with the landlord? Others here may be able to advise you if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Possibly a good thing.

Probably also best to take time stamped photographs of the house, one with todays newspaper in it, as proof of the condition of the house now, in case the LL tries to say X Y or Z wasn't like that when they last saw it (not saying they would, but better safe than sorry).

Deposit reciept is from the letting agent but we jus recieved a letter stating all further communicantions are with the LL and all monies have been passed on

not sure bout the lease, hopfully someone here can clear it up

Advertisement