Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant find the transcript of my dispute resolution

Options
  • 23-06-2011 2:58am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me where i can find the thread on a dispute resolution.
    Last posted to yesterday
    Originally requesting a list of cmods
    About a ban from Christianity over calling someone a "LIAR" in capitals because of incitement to hatred by that poster
    I did a bit of research on that poster and would like a copy of my work. I have since found more examples.
    Was the thread removed?
    Why?
    I don't think it looks good when someone posts ( with references) about someone else promoting hate and you then remove their drawing it to your attention.

I hope I'm in error about this.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It's been locked and removed due to the legal threat you've made.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Spear wrote: »
    It's been locked and removed due to the legal threat you've made.

I didn't threaten anyone. I was banned for calling someone a liar. when I appealed and pointed out the lie is probably incitement to hatred but that deciding on that was not up to me but up to a court of law you removed my notice of that.

I advised you about something I considered illegal and that in showing it to you you are now aware of it and can't deny you are not aware of it. If you are so sure you are correct why have you removed it from dispute resolution?

It isn't up to ME to enforce the law if a law is being broken. It is your responsibility. If you wish to ignore or hide from others what has been brought to your attention, that is up to you. One has to question however that if you are so sure you are right why are you deleting the notice of it being brought to your attention?

Now can I please have a copy of the posts I made to that thread?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It's a matter for the admins now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

ISAW, why do you want the posts please?

Darragh wrote: »
    ISAW, why do you want the posts please?

I dont have to give you any reason but I will in any case.
    I suffer from a psychological disability which results in me having attention problem. Ironically it also means I am capaple of intense focus for short periods.
    the long and the short of it is that i could for example read two 100 page reports and understand them and then forget where I first came across the reports.

But given the posts listed several different sources showing the continued lie ( and I have since found more) I do not see why I should have to go through over seventy pages of posts again (in a single thread) and pages of other threads to relocate the continued use of the word "clergy" and "priests" and linking it to 5.8% . In fact there have been even more instances since you have been shown this lie. In another post gigino is claiming 4% as a published fact but alleging it is even higher and posting a repost which shows that 4% were accused and not 4% were convicted.

It is wrong of you to ban people because they bring this lie to your attention and to allow the poster to continue lying. You however don't seem to care about that. You think it is just my opinion and that you are right. however as i stated I don't claim I am right just because it is my opinion. It would be for a court to decide whether or not i am right. But when I tell you this you don't seem so sure about how right you were and you hide all the information I submitted to you in defense of my case that someone is lying and spreading hate.

I don't think that is a very noble position to hold.

Then when I ask for my information back you adopt the Authoritarian "Why do you want it?"
    line.

Now how about you answer me a question ...
    If the poster was not lying and you are correct then why are you hiding the case from other people?

And yet again Ill tell you. I have debated Holocaust deniers elsewhere. But I did it without my hands tied behind my back by people censoring or deleting what I wrote. I am all for free speech but why do you allow the hatemonger to speak and the person who points out they are a liar to be banned?

• Advertisement

ISAW wrote: »
    I dont have to give you any reason but I will in any case.

Well, actually you do. If you want help on this from an external source and an employee of the company, you will have to help me out on this. This is a privately owned website and you are subject to our Terms of Use, as you agreed to when you signed up or in to your account.
    I suffer from a psychological disability which results in me having attention problem. Ironically it also means I am capaple of intense focus for short periods.
    the long and the short of it is that i could for example read two 100 page reports and understand them and then forget where I first came across the reports.

But given the posts listed several different sources showing the continued lie ( and I have since found more) I do not see why I should have to go through over seventy pages of posts again (in a single thread) and pages of other threads to relocate the continued use of the word "clergy" and "priests" and linking it to 5.8% . In fact there have been even more instances since you have been shown this lie. In another post gigino is claiming 4% as a published fact but alleging it is even higher and posting a repost which shows that 4% were accused and not 4% were convicted.

ISAW, I say this to you with the greatest of respect and having studied in a seminary to be a Catholic priest myself - let it go. It doesn't matter. There's a well known saying on the internet "Hater's gonna hate" and you trying to battle against people's ill researched or badly thought out posts or opinions that aren't based on facts is only going to cause you stress and headaches. Let it go. It doesn't matter how big or small the percentage, the sad fact it that it should never have happened at all.
    It is wrong of you to ban people because they bring this lie to your attention and to allow the poster to continue lying.

You however don't seem to care about that.

You think it is just my opinion and that you are right.

You need to be careful here. You can't just use "you" to anyone - we've never communicated before about this issue. You were dealing with the moderators and other posters in that forum, not with me. So lay off the "You don't care" bit, because I do. However, what YOU have to do is accept that people can be wrong and WILL be wrong and ARE wrong in their facts and just point it out and MOVE ON. That's all you can do.
    however as i stated I don't claim I am right just because it is my opinion. It would be for a court to decide whether or not i am right.

You're making a lot of people jittery with this talk about "courts". I don't believe you're looking to bring anyone to court over this - are you?
    But when I tell you this you don't seem so sure about how right you were and you hide all the information I submitted to you in defense of my case that someone is lying and spreading hate.

That's because it appeared you were threatening legal action against the site or against a user. It's standard practise of us to do that with anyone and everyone. Nothing personal. We're just seeking clarification on your position.
    I don't think that is a very noble position to hold.

It is however a necessary one.
    Then when I ask for my information back you adopt the Authoritarian "Why do you want it?" line.

It's actually a genuine question - I was/am seeking to clarify that you do not intend to pursue legal action against Boards.ie. The reason I do this is because (a) there are other ways to resolve these issues, (b) it would take up a LOT of my time and (c) it would cost you more money than you could imagine and ultimately it will achieve nothing, because someone eventually will find that 5.8% "fact" again and bring it up again.

Now how about you answer me a question ...
    If the poster was not lying and you are correct then why are you hiding the case from other people?

This isn't a case of someone not lying or lying or me being correct or hiding anything, it's a case of following legal procedure. If you can clarify/confirm to me that you do not intend to take legal action over this against Boards.ie, your thread will be restored and you can continue the discussion. Simple as that.
    And yet again Ill tell you. I have debated Holocaust deniers elsewhere. But I did it without my hands tied behind my back by people censoring or deleting what I wrote. I am all for free speech but why do you allow the hatemonger to speak and the person who points out they are a liar to be banned?

Firstly there's no free speech on Boards.ie. NONE
    . Not for you or for anyone! You are subject to our rules and our terms of use and your presence here is at our sole discretion. Every member, moderator and admin is.

We'll follow up about the other poster seperately but if you can get back to me on the points I raised above confirming you accept them, then we can get everything back on track!

Just so you know, I'm away from the office tomorrow or Monday but one of the Admins or my colleague Dav will come back to you, if your response is reasonable and well thought out :)

Just so you know, I'm away from the office tomorrow or Monday but one of the Admins or my colleague Dav will come back to you, if your response is reasonable and well thought out :)

Ill wait till after Monday then.

Just fyi I'm in the office (though have a few meetings) this week, so if you want to follow up with me here, please do.

Cheers

Darragh

Just fyi I'm in the office (though have a few meetings) this week, so if you want to follow up with me here, please do.

Cheers

Darragh

Yes I'll have a more comprehensive reply later but I'll deal first with your expressed desire to protect the corporate entity of "boards" ( what I referred to as "you") from legal damages

Over a year ago in the same thread I pointed out a legal problem - that the specifics of discussion were it appears sub judice i.e. they were discussing the specifics of a case that was currently ( that that time) in the courts. I suggested people be carefull about this because it could affect the actual decision of the court. I brought this to your attention not because I wanted to protect or damage boards but because my conscience and my duty as a citizen told me it was the right thing to do.

As regards the current "legal" issue ( hate speech). When someone says the current Pope was a Nazi and the entire Roman Catholic Church hierarchy are/were involved in a huge coverup and words like "I hate the church..." are used by posters I thought the use of such lies coupled with the extremely nasty comments were hate speech and that you should be made aware of that. Also I have dealt with Holocaust deniers in the past and the posting pattern is apparent - invent and/or massage statistics and then move to something else when challenged and when challenged on that return to the invented stats and maybe change them a little more.

As regards past experience in training as a priest. So what? I have past experience where due to an ink stain form the old pens the first layer of skin was rubbed from my hand (using sand as there was no soap), and where the pole of a sideline flag was broken over my back by a Christian Brother. I was ten at the time. I never claimed damages from them either. Nor do I hate the brother that did it or blame the church for conspiring to do it. I haven't forgotten it though. The idea that when I see something wrong I should "let it go" isn't really a convincing argument to me.

I hope that answers your query as regards claiming damages from you for myself but if it does not then I remind you that hate speech is criminal as I see it. It isn't a civil suit where I do or have to do anything. It is up to the Gardai or the DPP to do take case and not up to me. I am just drawing your (boards) attention to what might be a future problem. If you are going to punish me for that then I would argue that actually would make the problem worse. Why not just simply allow someone to challenge the hate speech rather than ban the poster who points out that hate speech is apparent, the argument made is based on a tissue of lies and draws attention to the motives behind the posts?

Finally , as regards the ban itself. I was ( as I understand it) banned for calling someone a liar. At the time I honestly thought I was banned for shouting "LIAR" because I had been using the word "lie" and "liar" for weeks before that. I pointed this out to the mod and posted without using "LIAR" but in the meantime I had received an infarction and the mod had pointed out that "liar" was also out. I only read his clarification after I posted another reply in thread.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much for that response. Good to know you're not taking legal action, and I appreciate you taking the time to warn us. You're quite right, too.

I'll go back to the Admins with this now and hopefully they can help you further.

Cheers

Darragh

Thanks very much for that response. Good to know you're not taking legal action, and I appreciate you taking the time to warn us. You're quite right, too.

I'll go back to the Admins with this now and hopefully they can help you further.

Cheers

Darragh

Eh Darragh?

Ive waited a week and I still dont have my DR thread back.
    The ban was a three day ban but I would still like to appeal it even after it was finished.
    I would like to appeal it.
    The original poster is still trolling hate speech and claiming Ratzinger was a Nazi and when I respond to this my replies about this being are cut.
    But I have a long rebuttal prepared and want it addressed.
    I was banned from Politics because my posts are too forensic not because I broke any rule
    I dont want to suffer the same fate for telling the truth in Christianity just as I exposed the pro atheist agenda in politics.

Another week Still no sign of thread?
    Admins where are you all?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hello ISAW.

Just to let you know I've asked for an admin to come and look at this. It shouldn't be too much longer.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hold off a while ISAW. I'm not dealing with this but will try to get it moving again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

DR thread has been re-opened. I'll mark this one closed/resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement