Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worried about my mam.

• 23-06-2011 6:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

My mam and Dad are in their 60's.She started to take in a student to help make ends meet.He is there two weeks ,and has another 2 I think to go, its a 28 day thing from what I know. It turns out that he opened a bank account for her address, after getting a letter from his college tosay that he is living there and also, he has been issued with a PPSN for my mams address.

Im not sure where he is from, but its through some college that he comes over with.Is this right?Im worried it would interfear with things like medical card applications or something like that.

Hes only here for a few days .What do you think, is it dodgy.Like I say they are in their 60,s and dont need the stress.Thanks,Cathy:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

He's not entitled to use your parents address to open a bank account without their permission.

In any event, it sounds to me like he is non-resident, and therefore not entitled to open a residency based bank account in any event.

I would contact gardai immediately and tell them that this fellow has, without your parents consent, used their address to open a bank account and that he also seems to have gotten a PPS number. They will need to speak to your mum and dad. Stress to them that he's only going to be around for a short time longer.

They will take it from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Thanks for that.Ill let her know, like you say its hassel but its something that will have to be done.Before we know it he could be claiming benifits /tax and not even live here anymore.Cathy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

It's not usual for newly arrived foreign students to be placed with a host family for a short period after arrival? Is this the case here or is the person only staying in Ireland for the 28 days? If they are only with your parents for a settling in period, it is perfectly reasonable and to be expected that they would use that address to open a bank account. Likewise if the person needs a PPS number, whether to satisfy an immigration condition or to exercise rights to work parttime, what other address could be used?

If you are still worried, maybe get your parents to put you in contact with the host college and check it out via them. It's hard to see what grounds exist for involving the authorities.

Reloc8 wrote: »
    He's not entitled to use your parents address to open a bank account without their permission.

In any event, it sounds to me like he is non-resident, and therefore not entitled to open a residency based bank account in any event.

I would contact gardai immediately and tell them that this fellow has, without your parents consent, used their address to open a bank account and that he also seems to have gotten a PPS number. They will need to speak to your mum and dad. Stress to them that he's only going to be around for a short time longer.

They will take it from there.
    I'm sorry to be so diect but this is sensationalism. It would be an implied condition of living in the home that the person be allowed to use it as their (temporary) residential address. ApprOaching the Gardai would indeed be wasting their time. See my other reply for the reasons.

Mam rang up the college and they said , if your not willing to allow them to use your address you cant get another student.She was very short with my mother.It doesnt FEEL right.If you know what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

Where are you getting this from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

To open a bank account you need proof of address. I wonder what he used.

Marcusm wrote: »
    It's not usual for newly arrived foreign students to be placed with a host family for a short period after arrival? Is this the case here or is the person only staying in Ireland for the 28 days? If they are only with your parents for a settling in period, it is perfectly reasonable and to be expected that they would use that address to open a bank account. Likewise if the person needs a PPS number, whether to satisfy an immigration condition or to exercise rights to work parttime, what other address could be used?

If you are still worried, maybe get your parents to put you in contact with the host college and check it out via them. It's hard to see what grounds exist for involving the authorities.

Are you for real ? You're saying that he's entitled to use a 28 day address to open an Irish resident bank account without mentioning this to the property owner ?
    I'm sorry to be so diect but this is sensationalism. It would be an implied condition of living in the home that the person be allowed to use it as their (temporary) residential address. ApprOaching the Gardai would indeed be wasting their time. See my other reply for the reasons.

Sensationalism ? Nonsense. It is absolutely not an 'implied condition' of living in that house for 28 days that a person be allowed to use it as a residential address for banking and other purposes.

cathy01 wrote: »
    Mam rang up the college and they said , if your not willing to allow them to use your address you cant get another student.She was very short with my mother.It doesnt FEEL right.If you know what I mean.

Common sense.

Common sense.
    This is the "legal discussion" forum, not the "common sense discussion" forum, it's assumed if someone asks a question they're looking for an answer in terms of what is and is not legally allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭happydayz8

without an address of residancy he will not be able to get a PPS and without a PPS he will not be able to open a bank account. That's the way it was with me. Maybe things have changed. For this reason I was emergency taxed for 4 month (PPS office screwed it up) and I had to go to the bank with my Manager to get my salary cashed in as they would not cash it in for me other wise. My mother sent me a cheque that they would not cash in for which reason I lived on stock cube soup and bread for about 4 weeks. How else would he handle it. Of course he has to give the address he is residing at at the moment. Your parents do not carry any liability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Im not sure where he is from, but its through some college that he comes over with.Is this right?Im worried it would interfear with things like medical card applications or something like that.

Obviously the thing to do is to mention that she has this new source of income and see what the medical card and revenue people say...

Seanbeag1 wrote: »

As a newly arrived foreign student he will have used a letter from his college confirming The address they have put him in. If he is from outside the EU he will also have had to register with the GNIB (with which Seanbeag, I imagine you are familiar) at that address.

I stand by my comments on sensationalism. Are you lot in the real world, foreign students bring very valuable money to Ireland, generate employment and VAT receipts. The system was too lax in the Celtic Tiger days but hopefully the DoJ and GNIB will have tightened it up. There would be few science or engineering faculties in many universities without foreign students.

It was a letter from the college to say he was staying there.It NEVER said, it was only for a few weeks.

I stand by my comments on sensationalism. Are you lot in the real world, foreign students bring very valuable money to Ireland, generate employment and VAT receipts. The system was too lax in the Celtic Tiger days but hopefully the DoJ and GNIB will have tightened it up. There would be few science or engineering faculties in many universities without foreign students.

I think mam and Dad are I , am concerned that they are using the address as a stop over, she thought it was like, getting a spanish student for a few weeks in the summer, like a lot of host familys do.Now, there are PPSN, and bank accounts associated with her. She thinks this person will be connected with her for LIFE.I know thats not the case, and will talk to Mam about it more, but can I reassure her that its not a scam, its legal.She is worried that she would be in trouble for trafficing people or something like that.
    PS, Thanks for taking the time to reply.Its also an interesting discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

It stands to reason if the Student is on a student VISA they are allowed work for a set amount of hours a week.
    See More here
    http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Student_Visa_Guidelines

If they work they need a bank account to be paid into. Chances are when they move they can update the bank of their new address.

If they are paid they need a Tax reference it will be written on their P60.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/personal_public_service_number.html

This student has landed in Ireland and as far as I can see is simply trying to get all this stuff sorted as soon as possible. Just like the hundreds of Irish backpackers as they stream out of airports and start setting up bank accounts and Tax numbers here.

As far as she knew he was here for a hoilday to learn the lanague. Having a student stay and a lodger are differet, arnt they?

As a newly arrived foreign student he will have used a letter from his college confirming The address they have put him in. If he is from outside the EU he will also have had to register with the GNIB (with which Seanbeag, I imagine you are familiar) at that address.

My understanding is that this student is only here for a month for a language education course.

OP what is this person a student of ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

As far as she knew he was here for a hoilday to learn the lanague. Having a student stay and a lodger are differet, arnt they?

But surely your mother would have looked into that before she took him on?

He is currently living at your parent's address, so if he is to get post surely that's where it would be sent? If he was to give any other address, he would be giving the bank, revenue etc false information. I imagine that he will change the address if he moves house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

I wouldn't worry, OP.

When he leaves, just make sure your parents send all correspondence that arrives back to the sender marked "No longer at this address" (don't get into an arrangement of forwarding correspondence to him as the sender may never find out then that he has moved address).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Ok im making the assumption that the student is only here for a month, if this is the case then it all sounds very fishey to me.

op your mother has nothing to worry about as she isnt in on anything untoward.

as was said above dont forward any post or dont agree to forward any post.

if they are only here for a month or even for the summer there would be no need for them to have a bank account or pps number.

Im suprised that the bank accepted the letter from the college as this is not proof of residence.

They wont get a PPS if they are only in Ireland for a month, there is a immigration status check as well as a address requirement. From the link I posted above.

Thanks all,Ill keep you updated and see how she gets on.

Yeah, see, not one person on this thread has made any comment adverse to foreign students, non-Irish nationals etc.

No one has suggested that there is any downside to immigration and tourism to this country.

No post to any extent has sought to impugn the integrity of what is going on in the OP's situation on the basis of race or nationality.

Simple issue, person staying some where short term, in this kind of 'digs' arrangement, short term being less than a month. Without any discussion whatsoever that person begins using that address for correspondence which is usually expected to be of some permanence (e.g. bank account).

You are saying that the person with whom they reside, who owns the property (their home) has no legitimate basis for concern in those circumstances.

I disagree - and that does not constitute sensationalism. Its yourself who's developed the them of race & natonality in this thread.
    This is the "legal discussion" forum, not the "common sense discussion" forum

They're not completely incompatible all the time but this tag line should still be a sticky at the top of the forum.

Ok got a bit more info.Hes from Brazil, hes olny staying with mam to open his bank account and get his pps and than hes moving into rented accomadation.
    Once its legal , thats all Im worried about,My poor Dads heart wouldnt take it.Cathy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

Ok got a bit more info.Hes from Brazil, hes olny staying with mam to open his bank account and get his pps and than hes moving into rented accomadation.
    Once its legal , thats all Im worried about,My poor Dads heart wouldnt take it.Cathy

There's nothing wrong with the arrangment as described and your parents have nothing to worry about. Even if he was flouting all kinds of immigration rules, it's not your parents concern nor are there any criminal sanctions that could be taken against them. There's even no sanctions that could be taken against the student if he breaks the conditions of his visa, other than revoke his visa and propose to make a deportation order against him.

The bottom line is that nothing he might do could blow back on your parents unless he starts dealing drugs or running a brothel (or some other form of criminal enterprise) from the house with their knowledge/acquiescence.

I wonder do Garda Immigration know he has no permanent residence after the month is up? I doubt he'd be allowed stay if they did.

I wonder do Garda Immigration know he has no permanent residence after the month is up? I doubt he'd be allowed stay if they did.

Does anyone have a permanent residence these days; I believe that he would be required to reregister with GNIB on a change of address.

Cathy

Your parents sound like nice people who fancy a bit of extra cash and/or company. They also have raised you well seeing as you care about them. Maybe it would be worthwhile having you meet up with the college to see what procedures they have etc. This will make you more comfortable that they'll be sent nice people. I imagine that the college is a fairly reputable one. Students coming here to work or from difficult backgrounds would probably be coming to join other friends and unlikely to go to the expense of signing up with a college who puts them with a host family. Hopefully, your parents will be able to introduce them to Ireland softly and they'll have a good time and you'll be able to make connections for the future. If his/her family can afford to send their child to Ireland to study they might very well fancy a house swap - imagine a couple of cheap weeks in beautiful Brazilian sunshine.

Irish banks these days don't lend money to anyone so I can't see the opening of a bank account as likely to lead to problems for your parents. If you're worried that it might throw them over income thresholds for soc welfare etc, sit down with them and maybe go through the numbers. I can't imagine that everything they receive from the student would be taken into account as there would be expenses.

Overall, you sound like a lovely daughter to be concerned but not everything turns put badly.

Marcus

• Advertisement

eigrod wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry, OP.

When he leaves, just make sure your parents send all correspondence that arrives back to the sender marked "No longer at this address" (don't get into an arrangement of forwarding correspondence to him as the sender may never find out then that he has moved address).

Seeing as this is the Legal Discussion form, it might be worth pointing out that even delaying the forwarding of his post may very well constitute an offence under the Postal and Telecommunications Services Act not to mind returning it all.

Yeah, see, not one person on this thread has made any comment adverse to foreign students, non-Irish nationals etc. ..

No post to any extent has sought to impugn the integrity of what is going on in the OP's situation on the basis of race or nationality.

You are saying that the person with whom they reside, who owns the property (their home) has no legitimate basis for concern in those circumstances.

I disagree - and that does not constitute sensationalism. Its yourself who's developed the them of race & natonality in this thread. ...

I don't think I developed a theme of race or nationality and I was unaware of either until Cathy's recent post. I was simply pointing out the facts of life for newly arrived immigrants - there are plenty of similar posts concerning outbound Irish emigration and the processes and procedures in the UK and Aus/NZ; I've even contributed to some of those as well.

I'm not sure if you've ever moved countries but sorting out bank accounts and registering with the local authroities is generally soemthing you need to do straightaway. The former to be able to settle your bills - hard to pay the host family without a EUR bank account. The latter to satisfy the requirements of the law in Ireland; if the student idn't register with the Garda and get the appropriate number "as soon as possible" after arriving, they would be commiting a crime!!!

I'm sorry if the tone of my post seems harsh but I generally only post where I can be of assistance whereas some of the posts here seem only to be jerk reactions from (dare I say it) a position of ignorance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Seeing as this is the Legal Discussion form, it might be worth pointing out that even delaying the forwarding of his post may very well constitute an offence under the Postal and Telecommunications Services Act not to mind returning it all.

do "An Post" know of this act..... could be worth investigating.

my understanding is that once someone moves from a place of residence to another it is thei responsibility to get all mail forwarded onto them (An Post offer a service which does this)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

do "An Post" know of this act..... could be worth investigating.

my understanding is that once someone moves from a place of residence to another it is their responsibility to get all mail forwarded onto them (An Post offer a service which does this)

Postal and Telecommunications Services Act, 1983
    84.—(1) A person who—

(a) opens or attempts to open a postal packet addressed to another person or delays or detains any such postal packet or does anything to prevent its due delivery or authorises, suffers or permits another person (who is not the person to whom the postal packet is addressed) to do so, or

(b) discloses the existence or contents of any such postal packet, or

(c) uses for any purpose any information obtained from any such postal packet, or

(d) tampers with any such postal packet,

without the agreement of the person to whom the postal packet is addressed shall be guilty of an offence.
    In my mind a "due delivery" is to the original address printed on the envelope and there's no legal obligation for the householder to forward it to a different address. I get mail addressed to previous tenants of my flat but it's not convenient for me to repost it during the week -- am I guilty of a crime for "delaying" the letter until Saturday?

Regardless, the odds of actually getting into any legal trouble for binning post addressed to a former tenant are zero.

Advertisement