Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need to stratificate seed?

Options
  • 23-06-2011 9:27am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I recently acquired some dried Lilac, Acer Rubrum, Tulip Tree and Strawberry tree seeds. Instead of stratification Im going to sow these in September/October and let Winter, Spring, Summer perform the steps naturally.

Anyway considering they are dried should I scarificate the seeds first?

Edit : Sorry the title should be "Do I need to scarificate seeds" ...... doh.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we had a strawberry tree die in the cold winter; i suspect they're limited naturally to the southwest because of the milder climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Cover yourself and do both. Could be a long time to wait only to have a failure. And you'll learn something from the experiment. Mulch any young growth for winter or pop a makeshift coldframe over them in the harshest weather.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

redser7 wrote: »
    Mulch any young growth for winter ......

Thanks dude, could you explain what you mean here?

Well some people protect perennials during the winter by mulching, ie covering them over with a layer of straw or leaves, something like that. Because these will be young plants might be no harm to give them a bit of protection. If they are in open ground best would be to wrap them in horticultural fleece. You can pick it up cheap in the likes of B&Q. Gives good protection. If they are in pots, you could put them in greenhouse or coldframe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

Actually looking at the stratification period for the seeds they vary from 12-18 weeks in the fridge. This will bring me up until Sept-Oct anyway so I dont think I'll bother.

I was planning to DIY up my own cold frame during the summer as I want to get some cuttings from my Photinia, will make it big enough for the pots I will plant the seeds.

So my plan is

-Scarificate for 48 hours
    -Sow in pots afterwards (early Oct)
    -Place pots in cold frame

When should I remove the (hopeful) seedlings from the cold frame?

• Advertisement

Have to say I'm by no means an expert :-) But I would imagine once things begin to warm up. Say early spring. Just lift the lid more and more at first. Be careful, even in winter, a sunny day can heat up a cold frame a lot. Just be vigilant.

Advertisement