Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Land Drainage Costs

• 23-06-2011 9:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

Title says most of it

I've a 100 metre run at least to do.
    I'm looking for cost per linear metre all in*
    that people have been quoted/accepted
    from a contractor.

Fin type drain is allowed/acceptable

All in* means

You point out where drain is to go
    contractor does everything and supplies
    all matierials.

Thanks In Advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

A rough estimate:

100m

3 hours with a track machine: €120

20 ton of washed stone: €300 for to fill drain to within 2 inches of top

Drainage pipe €80 per 100m roll

€5 per ton to put stone into drains = €100

Total €620 + VAT. You will be able to reclaim the vat on drainage work done.

You would get much better economies of scale if you were doing 1000m of drainage.

Here's a link that will give you some better ideas:

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/2009/0404/farmmanagement/farmbuildings/feature.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

reilig wrote: »
    3 hours with a track machine: €120

Who is charging €40 an hour for digger work.I can get a lad to do it for €22 an hour,the days of big hourly rates for diggers is long gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Dazzler88 wrote: »
    Who is charging €40 an hour for digger work.I can get a lad to do it for €22 an hour,the days of big hourly rates for diggers is long gone.

depends on what quality you get. I got a lad before who was a bit cheaper in the short term but more expensive in the long term. He messed up the depth of the drain s in a field so the water flowed in from the main drain instead of flowing out.
    Learnt my lesson. Paid 35 hr last year when I was reclaiming a field. Worth every penny. He could crack an egg with the bucket he was so handy in the track machine.

So inother words you pay for quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

The man charging that is the man who has done his homework into what it is actually costing him to run a machine,allowing for everything. The man charging 22euro an hour is a busy fool.

I can get a digger for €22 an hour too. But its cash so I wouldn't be able to put it through the accounts. Also, the driver would get through about 1/3 the work that the driver for €40 per hour would get through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

I can get a digger for €22 an hour too. But its cash so I wouldn't be able to put it through the accounts. Also, the driver would get through about 1/3 the work that the driver for €40 per hour would get through.

Point taking.I still think there is definitely a happy medium between €22 an hour and €40.I appreciate that when doing drainage you need to get someone who is very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

€31 maybe ;)

Point taking.I still think there is definitely a happy medium between €22 an hour and €40.I appreciate that when doing drainage you need to get someone who is very good.

I suppose it depends on the size of a machine - a 20 ton machine would burn Eur 20 worth of diesel an hour. A 6 ton machine might only burn half that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

I suppose it depends on the size of a machine - a 20 ton machine would burn Eur 20 worth of diesel an hour. A 6 ton machine might only burn half that.

would a 20 tonne digger not be a bit much for land drainage ? im planning on doing a bit next year ( if the funds allow :D ) my digger man has a 12 tonne machine

polod wrote: »
    would a 20 tonne digger not be a bit much for land drainage ? im planning on doing a bit next year ( if the funds allow :D ) my digger man has a 12 tonne machine

I've seen plenty of lads using a 20 ton for land drainage. My local lad has 12 - 14 ton machines for land work.

My land needs wide pads too :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

it makes some job of land only its so expensive i was pricing 2 inch stone cheapest i could get was for a 20 tonne lorry load 220euro............handy if you have free draining land save that cost any way :D

Advertisement