Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a Club

Options
  • 23-06-2011 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,

any suggestions?
    I'd like to join a club in Dublin having given up my membership in my home town club for the first time in 30 years (I'm not that old, just joined very young) because I wasn't getting down there enough.

I'm looking for an active members club i.e. play Barton Cup, Pearce Purcell etc. and have plenty of club competitions e.g. with a competitive Captains prize etc.

I will not pay an upfront fee as I have always thought this idea was robbery even during boom times.

I live in north Dublin city (Glasnevin / Drumcondra) and am willing to travel (within reason) if needed.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Whats your annual budget mate?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭istaunton

Not sure what your price range is like but Corrstown have a playing rights membership. basically full membership with no up front fee.

here is the link http://www.corrstowngolfclub.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1012&itemid=70&Itemid=70

Member here myself and meets all your criteria above and only about a 15 mind drive from your location.

Any questions let me know. Or if you'd like to go out and play a few holes would be happy to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

Ashbourne / €1500 incl 1st yrs sub / unknown / Golfers Green Fee Chequebook
    Balbriggan / €4,150 incl 1st yr sub / golfnuts early 2011
    Balcarrick, Co Dublin / None / €670 (June to end 2011) / Balcarrick website 10/06/11
    BlackBush / €1,950 incl 1st yr sub / AldilaMan early 2011
    Corballis Golf Links / None / Pay as you play: €20 per round / Irish Indo article on 5th May 2011
    Corrstown / none / €1,492 (Annual membership) – boards early 2011
    Donabate €1,469 incl bar levy, GUI, insurances - boards early 2011
    Elmgreen / none / €850 full / €475 with reduced green fee of €11 / Sparkygirl 19/02/2011
    Hollystown / €1,090 / boards early 2011
    Hollywood Lakes / €1,500 (Full, incl. bar levy €50), €950 (Introductory – no voting rights, can’t win majors, 1 year offer only) – boards early 2011
    Howth / €1,000 / €1,413 (incl GUI + €100 bar) 2012 / Quinda 17/06/2011
    Kilcock €1,100 (per Boden08 – offer lasts till March 2011)
    Lucan None / €1,620 / Golfers Green Fee Chequebook
    Luttrellstown / €2350 Inc vat and GUI. No bar levy (Swampy early 2011)
    Malahide / €10,000 (down from €17,000), Annual Membership €2,000
    Skerries / €7,200 incl 1st yr sub /Jimdagym early 2011
    St. Annes / €5,000 incl 1st yr sub – boards early 2011
    The Island, Co Dublin / €20,000 / €1,465 / Irish Indo article on 5th May 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 16 johnebhoy99

I'd go to €1500, maybe a bit more depending on the club.

Thanks golfwallah, this is great.

I've played a lot of these clubs in the past but I don't know what the members are like in terms of participation in the club itself or which ones are run mostly from green fees paid by visitors. Any ideas from anyone on this front?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

The Island is probably the club with the highest proportion of visitor green fees.
    Corballis & Elmgreen are run by the council and reported losses last year.
    Of the rest, the only one I could find with published details of their accounts on their website was Balcarrick - but you can easily check this out for yourself on the other club websites.
    If you are interested in the accounts for any of the other clubs that operate as limited companies, you should ring them. Alternatively, you can get this information for a small fee from the Companies Registration Office (CRO).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I think Corrstown would be a decent bet, also maybe Beaverstown is worth looking into. Dont think they are looking for Hello money any more and its a nice set up out there. Ashbourne maybe too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Roganstown would be another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

mike12 wrote: »
    Roganstown would be another option.

I'd go with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Garda S Horgan

Beaverstown in Donabate is another top quality club and course

Yours etc,
    GSH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Figo69

St.Maragrets should have been added on that list!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Hi,
    I have heard that Corrstown and Hollywood lakes are impossiable to get out on at the weekend not sure how true it is.
    I play in Bellewstown about 30 mins from where u live it's good value at 690 a year, there are 3 comps a week and never any trouble getting out. It may be a option but Roganstown would be my first option if i was changing club.
    Mike

Advertisement