Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card Protection

Options
  • 23-06-2011 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi there

I first took out my credit card in 2003 when i decided to do a years travelling. I never signed up for any CC Protection but over the years a company have been debiting my card for this CC Protection and i am wondering (a) how do i find out who this company is and (b) am i entitled to a rebate for the money they have debited? I know in the UK a rebate is possible and i have a feeling that this company who have been debiting my card are UK based. It was an annual fee of €25 but has increased to €35 in the last couple of years.

Is it not illegal to do something like this without the card holders consent?????

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

During the application it should have been explained to you and you would have to sign a form. If you didn't sign the form allowing payment protection you should be entitled to a refund. You have to contact the bank as they are the ones that have made the mistake. The payment protection company were not at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I just queried this myself today! Its optional. You can opt out by writing to them request it be removed.

However, with it there (if unemployed) you can make some sort of claim. Not sure how it works but I believe they will pay a percentage of your bill for up to 12 months or until you next gain employment.

Not entirely sure on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I first took out my credit card in 2003 when i decided to do a years travelling. I never signed up for any CC Protection

I'd be very surprised. I'd bet if you checked the application form you provided, you either agreed/didn't untick a box.

Advertisement