Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous spiders in Ireland?

• 23-06-2011 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

So week or so ago I took myself down to the doctor after itching myself crazy for a few days. My inner thigh had swollen up badly and was so hard that you could knock on it like a door. She said my itching had made it worse than it would have been but it looked like a bite, and she said it could have been from a spider which I didnt even realise was possible in Ireland. Prescibed drugs and a few days later I'm fine.

But this morning after breakfast I went in to make the bed and this big spider the width of a golf ball is sitting on the bloody bed bold as brass. Stared each other out for a few seconds till I found a nice 3 wood and beat the bejesus out of him.

It hadnt even occured to me that we would have the type of spiders that would bite or even be as brazen to sit on a bed like that-anyone any other spidy experiences?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

plenty of big ones around my place, think they are called a house spider r somethin, big black legs on them, i read last year somewhere they can bite but its not harmful to humans. Heard storys of spiders coming into the country in boxes of fruit:eek:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The false widow is the only spider in Ireland that has any significant medical venom.

Ive had a few around the house--well in the shed out the back and under some old wood that was left around.They look exactly like a black widow except the back of them is marble coloured.

The bite is supposed to be like a wasp sting but some people can have an allergic reaction to the venom and can require medical treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2054982518

Take a look at this to see some of the horrors we live with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

tishandy wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2054982518

Take a look at this to see some of the horrors we live with.

Ugh no I dont think so - ignorance is bliss! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i've noticed over the past few years, biggish black spiders in my garden, at least a 100 living amongst my vegetable gardens. Haven't done anything about them as I'm sure they help keep other garden insects at bay. I've caught one or two and they look like they could give a nasty bite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sausages79

imho the only danger with spiders in ireland is people running away from them and running into something - or the fights with partner over the poor little things being banished outside...

Advertisement