Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of camervan rental along east coast.

Options
  • 23-06-2011 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

Myself and g.f are heading to Melbourne for 3 weeks in August. We want to travel along the east coast route and I was thinking would a campervan work out cheaper than say hostels etc?

We have no experience with travel in Oz as we've never been there before.

I checked up a few prices for the 3 weeks renting a campervan with Jucy.com and it works out about €1000 which is fine.

I would just like to find out if the costs would be more or less while using a campervan when you factor in gas and that.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Well Sydney to Melbourne alone will cost you about 150 in diesel. Done it in Feb.
    Somebody put a link up a while ago for a site comparing camper vans but my phone got wiped and i lost the bookmark.
    I'm also thinkin on doing this in September. I'll be flying from Melbourne to Cairns then working my way down to Brisbane to fly home to Ireland. Haven't looked at all the costs yet but when i do ill get back and post here.
    A greyhound bus pass valid for 90
    Days is $300 from Brisbane To cairns or vice versa. Hop on hop off at all major stops along coast.
    Looked at a weeks accommodation in gold coast for two and was 600.
    With juicy you need a 1500 deposit on the van too. Apollo rentals is 1000 deposit.
    As i said. Still lookingInto it myself so will post more when i know it.
    Would also appreciate any tips and advice others may have :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

We did Brisbane to Melbourne a few years ago and got a camper off Camperman Australia. It was grand. Wasn't the biggest of campers - it was a Toyota Hi-ace with the hightop roof. But it was grand for two of us and even managed to get it up the Blue Mountains! Never broke down once! And it only cost something like 2000euro for 6 weeks! We didn't have to put a massive deposit down either. Think it was maybe 100dollars! I can't remember how much diesel was then, think it was only a dollar a gallon, not too bad!

Campervan is definitely the way to go! My parents went after we did and they flew to most places but got a campervan from Cairns to Brisbane and said it was the best part of the trip because they could stop when they wanted to and keep going if they weren't pushed on a place!

Wish I was going back! You'll love Oz no matter what you do! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Thanks for the replies! Good info.

We are undecided as to the campervan, as we don't know how much extra it will cost in these parks to stay overnight. Anyone any idea about those costs?

We have our flights booked so we just have to figure out what way will be the cheapest as the 3 weeks in Australia is halfway through a 7 month trip here in Asia so we just want to make sure we don't go bust over there on accommodation.

The greyhound idea sounds good as well but then getting to and from places in the different cities would be a little harder.

We really don't know what to do at this stage but I suppose we've got a few weeks to decide what to do.

Would really appreciate any more info ye guys/girls could give us in deciding with the campervan or not.

Thanks again folks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

You want us to decide for you... well OK.
    GET A CAMPERVAN!!

There you go! :)

Australia is expensive and accommodation costs will rack up very fast!! It might sound expensive renting one for say 8 weeks for a few grand but that is your transport and accommodation right there minus fuel and food of course!

jank wrote: »
    You want us to decide for you... well OK.
    GET A CAMPERVAN!!

There you go! :)

Australia is expensive and accommodation costs will rack up very fast!! It might sound expensive renting one for say 8 weeks for a few grand but that is your transport and accommodation right there minus fuel and food of course!

Done!!! :)

• Advertisement

We are undecided as to the campervan, as we don't know how much extra it will cost in these parks to stay overnight. Anyone any idea about those costs?

Just on the parks, some of the camper rental crowds, the likes of Britz and Maui have deals with some of the parks and offer discounts. We joined Big4 for $20 and it meant you got a 10-15% discount off the price. We didn't think the parks were too dear, about $30 a night, I think. I think one place may have been $50 but then it was the Easter Bank Holiday weekend! The facilities in the parks are amazing! If you want to let me know your itinerary, I can let you know what parks we stayed in - some of them might be on your route! :D

Regarding the parks. We were only planning on parking in parks some days to keep costs down. Other nights just park up somewhere around the town.
    How safe is it just parking around town's for the odd night or so. Anyone any experience ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Howerya Carlo.

PM me here/on the other place with any specific questions dude. Im here in Melbourne atm.

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    Just on the parks, some of the camper rental crowds, the likes of Britz and Maui have deals with some of the parks and offer discounts. We joined Big4 for $20 and it meant you got a 10-15% discount off the price. We didn't think the parks were too dear, about $30 a night, I think. I think one place may have been $50 but then it was the Easter Bank Holiday weekend! The facilities in the parks are amazing! If you want to let me know your itinerary, I can let you know what parks we stayed in - some of them might be on your route! :D

Plan is to head south along the coast towards Sydney. Would like to get some info on possible parks please? :)

Plan is to head south along the coast towards Sydney. Would like to get some info on possible parks please? :)

No problemo, I'll look out the stuff (might be at the weekend cos I've a lot on this week) and pm you! :D I'm so jealous!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 smurnoff1486

Shoe Lover wrote: »

No problemo, I'll look out the stuff (might be at the weekend cos I've a lot on this week) and pm you! :D I'm so jealous!

If you're getting the info together would you mind sending to me also, myself and gf are heading in october for 2 years!! Can not wait!!

If you're getting the info together would you mind sending to me also, myself and gf are heading in october for 2 years!! Can not wait!!

No problem! Another person to be jealous of :p

Any chance you could send me the information too if you get the chance. Be doing Cairns to Brisbane in Sept Oct

Oh and a website i found for comparing prices
    Cheapmotorhomes.com.au

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 LisaRed

Hey me and my boyfriend are thinking of doing the same thing! Plan on travelling from Cairns to Brisbane (currently in Melbourne) by either bus or preferably campervan, even though it's a lot more expensive, it'd be worth having the freedom! Planning on leaving Cairns sometime in September so yeah if you find out any great deals or info on hiring vans for the east coast, please let me know, would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Lisa :)

What date you leaving cairns. Were leaving the 29th September to be in Brisbane on 21st October. Going to book a van this week sometime.
    Last time i checked a van was 1100 plus 2000 bond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 LisaRed

Hey, sorry for late reply, we're leaving Cairns on the 12th and don't have an exact time to be in Brisbane by, just whatever works out cheapest I suppose! What company did you end up going with if you don't mind me asking? There's just so many different options online, my heads about to explode :P !

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Sorry for resurrecting this thread again but i would like to hear what people did? What campervan company, costs, Time! etc etc.

Me and my girlfriend (possiblily 2 other too) are planning on flying to cairns in august (spend 3 days), campervan to Brisbane (3 weeks), fly to sydney (3 days) and home.

Any help/advice would be GREAT

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lippy11

Me too!!!

Flying into Sydney on the 8th of March and planning on spending a week or 10 days there, hiring a camper van and travelling up the east coast.. We only have about 3 weeks though because we plan on starting our regional work in Brisbane around the second week of April so anybody who has any info or advice would be greatly appreciated by me also :)!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 HungOver

here guys have a look into doing relocations for the campervan companies, would save serious bucks and still give you that great travel experience ----> http://www.standbyrelocs.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Amazon32

Would they take anyone with a full Irish license for this? Also do these prices include insurance?

• Advertisement
Advertisement