Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

moving ditches

• 23-06-2011 12:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭

I' thinking about moving a few ditches around the fields.

What is the best way to get rid of them. To bury them or draw them to a swampy part of the field and level them out.

How much should it cost for a man with a machine for 1 or 2 days.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I may be wrong on this but hedges are protected under cross compliance(?) and you need to plant an equal amount of hedging to replace what you are digging up.

Or is that just a proposal like needing planning permission to knock a hedge?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

what do you mean by moving them? I suspect this could be a troll thread, surely every farmer knows that ditches can't be removed because of wildlife habitat?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

5live wrote: »
    I may be wrong on this but hedges are protected under cross compliance(?) and you need to plant an equal amount of hedging to replace what you are digging up.

?

That would be my understanding too - and pretty severe penalties to follow if things go wrong, plus the time of year is totally inappropriate for obvious reasons!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

I would have thought, you can actually carry out ditch removal, without penalties provided you do it at the right time if the year, and you are NOT in REPS or any other environmental scheme. Of course within reason. Not flattening in sight. Am I incorrect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

First i heard that ditches were protected. They are protected in reps. Nothing in cross compliance to stop anyone leveling a ditch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Maybe OP could define what he means by a ditch?

Around me it would typically be a minor watercourse. Hedging may or may not be involved. However interference with a watercourse may have implications too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Box09

No you are not allowed to remove a hedgerow or ditch under cross compliance as 5live said. You will be penalised unless you replace the equivalent length.
    First i heard that ditches were protected. They are protected in reps. Nothing in cross compliance to stop anyone leveling a ditch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Box09 wrote: »
    No you are not allowed to remove a hedgerow or ditch under cross compliance as 5live said. You will be penalised unless you replace the equivalent length.

So it is the same as being in reps without getting the payment. Could you post a link where it states that you cannot remove ditches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Box09

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/farmingschemesandpayments/crosscompliance/landscapefeatures/Hedges%20and%20drains%2012%2008%2009.pdf

So it is the same as being in reps without getting the payment. Could you post a link where it states that you cannot remove ditches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

Box09 wrote: »

Excerpt from that link, answering the OP original question, abou "moving" a ditch. So it's not over restrictive,

Q Do I now need approval to move a hedge?
    A No, provided that an equivalent replacement hedge has been planted prior to
    removal.
    Q Can I remove a hedgerow that is no longer stock proof?
    A Yes provided there is good reason to do so and a new hedgerow of equal length is
    planted in advance on the same holding.
    Q Can I remove a section of hedge and replace it elsewhere on the farm in order to
    improve the efficiency of machinery use?
    A Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 ryanp3

what is the story with moving/burying walls? I presume the same rules don't apply as ditches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

A little off topic but yesterday I found that one of my landlords has sawn down over a dozen big ash trees on the side of the land without ever mentioning it to me. This land is included in my SPS, Should I notify the dept of the goings on or what as I presume I would be considered to be break cross compliance regs. I couldnt do anything about it, lovely trees and all :(

Advertisement