Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 Day Tourist Visit to Limerick

• 23-06-2011 12:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Have relations coming from Holland at the weekend but they are only in Limerick for one day , wheres the best place to go or do ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

The Hunt Museum is a must.
    If enough time a trip to Bunratty Castle would be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Ya i think we are taking them out to dinner in dirty nellies so I'm sure we will visit bunratty castle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Depends on the ages of your relatives and their interests tbh.

And if they are coming from one of the larger cities in Holland or from a smaller town.

They are coming from Den Haag and they are late 40's

RVN10 wrote: »
    They are coming from Den Haag and they are late 40's

Limerick city centre would be no attraction to them then imho given that they are from a city that is stunning in places and overloaded with great attractions.

Bunratty would be a good shout if you are heading out that way. Another thing that would be nice, especially given the weather forecast for the weekend, would be a boat tour on Lough Derg and the surrounding areas of Killaloe/Ballina look great in fine weather.

Shame they are not coming the following weekend as the Brian Boru festival would be on out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

It would be an embarrassment taking them into the city, to see what??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

At a stretch (because we know there isn't much in the City!):

Tour of Thomond Park
    Art gallery at People's Park
    Walk from the lake/bird sanctuary near Westfield along O'Callaghan and Clancy Strands as far as the Curragower (weather depending!)
    Stroll through the medieval quarter/ King John's Castle, old walls, cathedrals, etc (personal security depending!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

If its Saturday, take them for a stroll around the market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,340 ✭✭✭✭phog

Hunt Museum, Bunratty Folk Park, Cragganowen are always good bets for tourists, all doable in one day at a push.

Lough Gur and Adare is another option with the Hunt Museum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Think you have to book ahead for TP tour and it could be closed during the days around the JLS concert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,340 ✭✭✭✭phog

Mc Love wrote: »
    Think you have to book ahead for TP tour and it could be closed during the days around the JLS concert

You may have to now but I've brought small groups there twice and on both occasions we just turned up on the day and got in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Galway is a short enough drive :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Janneke

Randomly, I have a lot of friends from Den Haag who've been in Limerick, and when their parents were over what they enjoyed the most was visiting Glenstall Abbey and seeing the Russian icons chapel, the surrounding forest and gardens. They won't be impressed by Limerick town centre and they might find Bunratty a bit tacky, but they'll love the small Irish towns and countryside. And maybe bring them to buy some cheese in the Market on Saturday morning... ; )

And a tip for the Hunt Museum: it's free in on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

The Hague is a very nice place. They will think the city itself is a dump, so take them somewhere outside it if you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

It really is depressing when you cant even promote your own city or see what people actually think of it. Maybe the pigs in city council should have a look at this thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

Given that the visitors are from The Hague, they no doubt are aware of William of Orange's conquests, as he was born and is buried in The Hague, and is viewed as a bit of hero over there.

I'd hazard a guess that they may be interested in seeing a bit of the city centre, given the strong connections between Willem Oranje and Limerick:
    His forces were held out here in 1690; He was formally defeated in 1690 in what is now John's square.
    His forces came back here (Under Ginkel) in 1691. (John's Castle might be of interest).
    A few "billy houses" are currently in castle lane - that is what they became known as after his conquest here as we adopted a very dutch style of architecture round these parts.

The previously mentioned Hunt, and i would suggest the Cathedral (St Mary's). All doable in a few hours and still time to do the bunratty side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Skottoman

Well, we are coming to Limerick for a friends wedding all the way from California. We'll be there in Sept.

This will be my 3rd time in Limerick, but my wife's first. I'll probably only have a day to show her around the city, the rest of the the time we'll try and get out in the countryside with some friends. Anything new

I've already seen KJ Castle, Peoples Park, UL, many pubs, but I wonder what my wife would like to see in the city... We'll be there from a Wed to Sun.

I'll follow this thread to see what recommendations people give to the OP.

Cheers,
    Skottoman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

Skottoman wrote: »
    Well, we are coming to Limerick for a friends wedding all the way from California. We'll be there in Sept.

This will be my 3rd time in Limerick, but my wife's first. I'll probably only have a day to show her around the city, the rest of the the time we'll try and get out in the countryside with some friends. Anything new

I've already seen KJ Castle, Peoples Park, UL, many pubs, but I wonder what my wife would like to see in the city... We'll be there from a Wed to Sun.

I'll follow this thread to see what recommendations people give to the OP.

Cheers,
    Skottoman

FYI, limerick civic trust are doing guided walking tours of different parts of limerick such as georgian quarter, medieval area including the masonic lodge, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Skottoman

lockman wrote: »
    FYI, limerick civic trust are doing guided walking tours of different parts of limerick such as georgian quarter, medieval area including the masonic lodge, and so on.

That sounds pretty interesting! Good to know! Keep the tips comin...
    Cheers,
    Skottoman

Cheers for the heads up lads , I think we are going to head out killaloe way , do lough derg and finish off at Cragganoun

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    It really is depressing when you cant even promote your own city or see what people actually think of it. Maybe the pigs in city council should have a look at this thread!

To be fair RVN10's relatives are coming from an amazing city that looks great, has amazing buildings (old and new), has all sorts of museums and galleries, has great facilities and amenities, and pretty much blows Limerick city out of the water. Bars/cafes/eateries/shopping areas etc in Limerick all lag far far behind what is available to those people back home.

It is not a knock on Limerick because no city in Ireland matches the Hague in my opinion, and very few in the UK come close.

What Limerick does have is it's proximity to some lovely beauty spots like Killaloe, and has the likes of Craggaunowen nearby. Better to have people heading back home talking about how lovely the areas around Limerick are than have them going back home thinking how run down and poorly facilitated the city centre looks/is compared to their own city.

At least that way people leave with a positive in their head rather than a negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Contact the Limerick Civic Trust. IO'm sure they'd be delighted to help you out. AFAIK they are a charity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭abyss

Take them to "Living Bridge" at UL - but when will be dark enough to see the light on bridge. It's worth to visit. Next, take them walk (at daylight) along riverbank at UL - green, green green, lovely & refreshing. That was surprising thing for me and my friends. Saturday Milk Market is a good option too, but better will be Rathcormack or Castletownroche car boot sales - as they are alot bigger.

Advertisement