Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA health Promotion NUIG

Options
  • 23-06-2011 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

just got accepted into this course and was wondering if anyone could give me some info on it? is it difficult, hours, assignments, workplacement?
    I am really interested in the area of health promo and the modules look great! but is it worth the 9000eur fee and realistically what are the job oppertunities after completion?
    any info will be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭MrTsSnickers

Hi ya, I did this course (I opted to apply for the Post Grad Dip) a few years ago. This is MY opinion only. It was interesting at times, although at other times I found it frustrating. The course load is very doable, I really really enjoyed my placement. Is it worth it? I think yes and no, yes in the sense that if you've a genuine interest in the subject area you'll love it, I was iffy before I went in to it. You also need a 60% overall grade in order to be considered able to do the actual thesis to get the MA. This point I think is not made clearly enough, some of the people who were (and had paid to do) doing the masters course were a bit annoyed that they didn't know it before they went in. The lecturers are helpful and if you were in trouble at any stage they were willing to help. I have seen some jobs available, make sure to pick your placement well, as they are likely to also be an excellent ally and provide you with a good professional reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭38Flowers

Hi ya, I did this course (I opted to apply for the Post Grad Dip) a few years ago. This is MY opinion only. It was interesting at times, although at other times I found it frustrating. The course load is very doable, I really really enjoyed my placement. Is it worth it? I think yes and no, yes in the sense that if you've a genuine interest in the subject area you'll love it, I was iffy before I went in to it. You also need a 60% overall grade in order to be considered able to do the actual thesis to get the MA. This point I think is not made clearly enough, some of the people who were (and had paid to do) doing the masters course were a bit annoyed that they didn't know it before they went in. The lecturers are helpful and if you were in trouble at any stage they were willing to help. I have seen some jobs available, make sure to pick your placement well, as they are likely to also be an excellent ally and provide you with a good professional reference.

Hi there
    I know you posted this reply ages ago, but just wondered if you could tell me what kind of jobs people go into after doing this course. Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭MrTsSnickers

At the risk of putting you off, I did HP a few years ago then went on to do a masters in a different but related subject, I'm unemployed and actively volunteering. I've gotten a few interviews but nothing has come of them. Decent course but don't know about current, entry level employment opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭38Flowers

Thanks for the reply.You'd think with all the problems with mental health and obesity for example, there would be jobs. But it's the same everywhere I suppose- there just isn't the money to create the jobs yet.
    I would say the only route from that point of view is volunteering in related organisations, getting experience and providing workshops in a certain area(drugs/mental health/etc.) for schools/organisations/companies, something like that. You'd have to learn from someone who's already doing it( giving workshops/consultancy), but it seems like that would be the only route you could take,if you wanted to stay in it. Best of luck with the job hunt and thanks a million for the reply. Really appreciate it.:)

Advertisement