Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

It's great stuff isn't it? I used this ages ago on challengemaster's wing mirrors. They were gone a very light grey colour. When I applied that stuff they came up brilliant black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭wandererz

Installed a strut brace that i picked up a few days ago.

Before:

5JTeqh.jpg

After:
    mWk24h.jpg

mIVy8h.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

I never understood them strut braces, what are the purpose of them?

After installing the strut brace i was on a bit of a roll and decided to detail the interior before i handed the car over to the wife.

Nothing nicer than getting a new car that's been properly cleaned.

These are some after shots.

o8zwYh.jpg

YGWa9h.jpg

E1ZP5h.jpg

I never understood them strut braces, what are the purpose of them?

Stiffens up the suspension and allows for better cornering. Had a front strut brace on the S40 and it made a bit of difference. Hoping it will on this E46 as well, as i noticed it was a bit iffy cornering at higher speed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

It's great stuff isn't it? I used this ages ago on challengemaster's wing mirrors. They were gone a very light grey colour. When I applied that stuff they came up brilliant black.

Yeah, I think it makes a hell of a difference. Faded plastics bring the look of a car down a lot.

wandererz wrote: »
    Stiffens up the suspension and allows for better cornering. Had a front strut brace on the S40 and it made a bit of difference. Hoping it will on this E46 as well, as i noticed it was a bit iffy cornering at higher speed.

Aw right, I may regret this, but I thought it was to protect the engine in the even of a crash. :o

Aw right, I may regret this, but I thought it was to protect the engine in the even of a crash. :o

That's not a bad thought but it would only create more damage in the event of a crash I would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

After installing the strut brace i was on a bit of a roll and decided to detail the interior before i handed the car over to the wife.

Nothing nicer than getting a new car that's been properly cleaned.

These are some after shots.

Nice job, it's spotless. What products were you using on the plastics? Were you using commercial cleaning products, or off the shelf in Halfords type stuff?

I had a 320d with a similar grey carpet years ago and it was a pig to keep clean. Gave up on the mats and got a set of black ones, much easier to keep clean and looked good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

A strut brace helps stiffening the suspension alright.

The downside is, that if you damage one side of your suspension, it also transfers directly to the other side of the suspension, so in case of damage, your damage is even bigger.

A strut brace really only makes sense, if he car is used for performance driving. On dodgy irish backroads it can have a negative impact.

/M

• Advertisement

glynf wrote: »
    Nice job, it's spotless. What products were you using on the plastics? Were you using commercial cleaning products, or off the shelf in Halfords type stuff?

I had a 320d with a similar grey carpet years ago and it was a pig to keep clean. Gave up on the mats and got a set of black ones, much easier to keep clean and looked good too.

Thanks. Just used stuff i already had at home.

- Meguiars Interior detailer cleaner (that stuff does clean! Especially good for removing black scuff marks off the door panels and sills)
    - Turtlewax cockpit spray to polish things a slight bit and get rid of a light musty odour
    - Gliptone leather cleaner and conditioner for the steering wheel, gear knob and dash.
    - Lots of ear buds

Haven't worked on the carpets as yet. That's for another day. Thanks for the hint, may get some black ones. Would be nice to get the ones with the BMW logo as are on at the moment though.

Next step is to install multi function steering control switches - hopefully not too difficult a job.

Have some Zaino left as well from doing my own car a few weeks ago, so will be giving it a wash and polish later on in the week. Just need to fix a few minor scratches first and then hopefully it will be in near concourse condition.

...until the wife parks it in a shopping center car park of course.

Marlow wrote: »
    A strut brace helps stiffening the suspension alright.

The downside is, that if you damage one side of your suspension, it also transfers directly to the other side of the suspension, so in case of damage, your damage is even bigger.

/M
    True, but hasn't happened yet on the other car so fingers crossed.
    Marlow wrote: »
    A strut brace really only makes sense, if he car is used for performance driving. On dodgy irish backroads it can have a negative impact.

/M

It's only a 1.8L but there's a bit of performance driving when i'm behind the wheel! Thankfully it will only be used on the N11 most days. To be honest, i installed it to test the difference with and without. For 70 euro it's not much of a hit on the wallet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

It's only a 1.8L but there's a bit of performance driving when i'm behind the wheel! Thankfully it will only be used on the N11 most days. To be honest, i installed it to test the difference with and without. For 70 euro it's not much of a hit on the wallet.

The issue is not the 70 eur you spend on the strut brace. The issue is, that when you hit a pothole with either of your wheels, the force that comes through the shock transfers to the other turret.

If it gets hit hard enough to cause damage to one side, then the damage is on both sides.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Better tyres would probably make more of a difference than a strut brace tbh

Decent enough dunlops on them at the moment. Will know when i take it for a drive later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭youngblood

So there is hole in the upholstery on my car,not on car seat but down by gearbox on drivers side, the carpet for want of a better word, well ripped, cant be covered with mat etc, about 3 inches by 3inches

So just wondering, is there anyway to repair it?

Also have a straight slit on leather seats, about 2 inches long but afraid it might rip further,

Any help appreciated

youngblood wrote: »

So just wondering, is there anyway to repair it?............

Any help appreciated

There's FibreNew in Cork, I have never used them but they came highly recommended to me by more than a few people on the trade, a friend brought a Capri to them which needed quite a bit of work and he was delighted with the service.

You haven't your location displayed so may well be no where near Cork.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Washed the car and finally got around to correcting some of the paint.

BEFORE

The swirls are bad and the beading is non existent

b226a.jpg

a7852.jpg

AFTER

Menzerna PF2500 and heavy cut pad

063c0.jpg

Menzerna PF4000 and fine cut pad

b5043.jpg

After HD wax

8c735.jpg

Biblical Beading has been restored

cc476.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭youngblood

RoverJames wrote: »
    There's FibreNew in Cork, I have never used them but they came highly recommended to me by more than a few people on the trade, a friend brought a Capri to them which needed quite a bit of work and he was delighted with the service.

You haven't your location displayed so may well be no where near Cork.

That sounds perfect but no where near Cork, near midlands here, mullingar area-

So they repair carpet holes and that sort of stuff right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Unreal! Do mine next yeah?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Thank goodness for that :D

My economy drive continued this evening, managed 34.8mpg average coming back from sligo.

I'm not sure how much petrol I saved, but it can't have been worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Lads ifye think a strut brace will stiffen the suspension you're mistaken. The idea of a strut brace is to keep the car square under hard cornering, when an upper and lower brace is fitted it keeps the geometry in line

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Thank goodness for that :D

My economy drive continued this evening, managed 34.8mpg average coming back from sligo.

I'm not sure how much petrol I saved, but it can't have been worth it.

Sligo? If you went on the back roads, your car would be a right bone rattler. Thats were real test begins. :p

Excellent work conzy! How long did it take you?

Too long MM! Washed it, clayed it, washed it again, about 20 minutes with the heavy, 20 minutes with the fine and then waxed it. So that less than 10% of the car done in over an hour :p

Nice one conzy, finally got my knob off!

OiF52.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Nice one conzy, finally got my knob off!

Looks great, I'll do mine now:p

conzymaher wrote: »
    Too long MM! Washed it, clayed it, washed it again, about 20 minutes with the heavy, 20 minutes with the fine and then waxed it. So that less than 10% of the car done in over an hour :p

The more of it you do, the more confidence you'll get and the quicker you'll get the rest of it done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭tuborg_man

bought and cleaned up a set of e34 540 brakes for my e28, now have to find somewhere warm to fit them,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Gary ITR wrote: »
    Lads ifye think a strut brace will stiffen the suspension you're mistaken. The idea of a strut brace is to keep the car square under hard cornering, when an upper and lower brace is fitted it keeps the geometry in line

People never think of a lower brace...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I always assumed struts were for chassis stiffness, would I be wrong or is that what you're saying?

CianRyan wrote: »
    I always assumed struts were for chassis stiffness, would I be wrong or is that what you're saying?

Yeah theres nothing to stop the two strut towers moving independently. A strut brace stiffens the chassis by locking them together on top at least

Gary ITR wrote: »

Yep, like i said originally it's to improve the cornering. However it does that i don't care. First step is the upper brace as i was able to get it off a nice guy who ended up being rear-ended.

If it makes a difference it makes a difference. If not, then there's always alternatives.

In this case it's just an example of what i did to my car today...

dgt wrote: »
    People never think of a lower brace...

It's not very often you can find a manufacturer who makes a lower brace for a given car ;)

That's my understanding of strut braces, limit twisting/movement of the turret and subframe if a lower brace is fitted.

Sometimes it makes naff all difference, like here. The design of the car means the turrets are welded to the bulkhead :) some upper braces are designed like this
    Image1906.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

How well an upper strut brace will work depends on the car its fitted too. Modern cars incorporate a lot of chassis strength in their design for reasons of crash safety etc so old tech mods like strut braces have little benefit.

Uprated anti roll bars would give a vastly better and more noticeable improvement even with factory shocks/springs.

It's not very often you can find a manufacturer who makes a lower brace for a given car ;)

If in doubt, make one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

How well an upper strut brace will work depends on the car its fitted too. Modern cars incorporate a lot of chassis strength in their design for reasons of crash safety etc so old tech mods like strut braces have little benefit.

Uprated anti roll bars would give a vastly better and more noticeable improvement even with factory shocks/springs.

I changed the s line anti roll bar on the A4 for the thicker, stiffer rs4 one. Fits grand and made a really noticeable difference for around 100 bobs. Best money I spent on the car :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Anti rolls bars you say.. Hmm...

*scurries off to ebay.

Anti rolls bars you say.. Hmm...

*scurries off to ebay.

Have TD100 arbs on my van... Basically binned the standard arbs for thick heavy ones from a diesel Bravo.

Coupled with coilys and low pros there is no roll in the corners, its something else from a road car especially a converted van :D

No comparison, a worthy swap :cool:

• Advertisement

dgt wrote: »
    Have TD100 arbs on my van... Basically binned the standard arbs for thick heavy ones from a diesel Bravo.

Coupled with coilys and low pros there is no roll in the corners, its something else from a road car especially a converted van :D

No comparison, a worthy swap :cool:

Is there anything left original on your cars? :D

Apart from the subframe, rack and column.... No :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

He's got an Alfa interior on the Bravo... Likes to think he has a real car obviously... :D

*Waits for someone to point out they are the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

166man wrote: »

*Waits for someone to point out they are the same thing.

They are the same thing :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

lowered the glanza there yesterday :)

front before

photo06542.jpg

front after

photo06602.jpg

rear before

photo06552.jpg

rear after

photo06622.jpg

trolley jack got stuck under the skirt, so i had to use the jack from the boot to get it back :pac:

photo06582.jpg

and heres a photo of the difference with just the front down

photo06592.jpg

waiting until its clean to take pics of it all :)

edit, half me pics are fecking sideways ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

What's that 40mm all round? have you gone for a test ride yet?

yup, just 40mm springs in an "old" pair of shocks. its very (read : uncomfortably) firm. had a front and back seat passenger in it and no rubbing on 185 14's :)

only drove it a few miles to make sure all was well, dropped it off to be re-tracked this morning, take it for a good rip then :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

gollywog wrote: »
    NOOOOOOOOOOO! only kidding man, say it must be tough saying goodbye though?

It will be but I have the 8er to get back into and it should be in rude health by then with perhaps a few mods to make it even better....

andyseadog wrote: »
    yup, just 40mm springs in an "old" pair of shocks. its very (read : uncomfortably) firm. had a front and back seat passenger in it and no rubbing on 185 14's :)

only drove it a few miles to make sure all was well, dropped it off to be re-tracked this morning, take it for a good rip then :pac:

I hope lukozade sport are paying you to "advertice" there product.............now off to the shop I go, I feel some lukozade sport. :p

I hope lukozade sport are paying you to "advertice" there product.............now off to the shop I go, I feel some lukozade sport. :p

picked up the blackcurrent one by accident, tasted ****e :mad:.

i wanted to take photos with a tape to get ballpark dimensions of the actual drop but sure totoally forgot.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement