Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Once, did a clutch change and didn't finish untill about 4am...

Or another time I locked myself in the garage and worked on a car the whole day...

I have the time and I love what I do, sure why spend it on anything else :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I once started working on front suspension at 11pm, sure it was only going to take an hour. That was a mistake...

I once started working on front suspension at 11pm, sure it was only going to take an hour. That was a mistake...

I think my favourite one was on the 406, needed a jubilee clip on the turbo, sure it's only a 5 minute job. 3 hours later and half the engine out I was wondering where I went wrong :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

dgt logic:

Need to do oil change...

Better take out engine!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

dgt logic:

Need to do oil change...

Better take out engine!:pac:

challengemaster logic:

Need to do oil change...

Better sleep and get MM and conzy to do it instead :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Washed, dried, polished, washed, dried, waxed, buffed... Then did the wheels, the door trims and the windows

It's unreal the difference it makes, can literally see yourself in it

531278_10150904815531436_715267348_n.jpg

409652_10150904815616436_627766952_n.jpg

483157_10150904815726436_1115072825_n.jpg

548208_10150904815926436_1741417152_n.jpg

581003_10150904816221436_1250724455_n.jpg

552443_10150904816436436_1959829368_n.jpg

376867_10150904817441436_1234517574_n.jpg

Nice job Tal! Cool dog too :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Ok it took more than 1 day, but from this:

ZQZmI.jpg?1

To this:

FbrVz.jpg?1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

challengemaster logic:

Need to do oil change...

Better sleep and get MM and conzy to do it instead :pac:

I think you're missing the part of the story where conzy put enough drink into me the night before to give an elephant a hangover :p

I think you're missing the part of the story where conzy put enough drink into me the night before to give an elephant a hangover :p

Yeah and you STILL couldn't handle it :pac:

Ciano - Nice job, reg visible in pic 2 though.

OSI - first sign of madness - taking out the lights to clean them, second sign of madness - talking to yourself about taking out the lights to clean them :D

• Advertisement

Fiddled with the exhaust....

What a hunk of crap me phone is :mad::mad::mad:

Once on a test drive, she went cooooo :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Target practise is all that was OSI!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

I washed my Accord, clay bar and all. Not an easy task in this weather.

have not used a clay bar before, when they are all gunk do you just throw them out and buy more?

I am waiting on new alloys and eibach springs. That's as far as things will go. 7th gen Accords look good for their age.

7569772402_c1e38aaf90_z.jpg

7569656328_62ec07a0c5.jpg
    7569655924_7b32e963f6_z.jpg

7569657822_b5774733e1.jpg

7569586426_8bc1bb14a1_z.jpg

White.... But that's just me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Not today but last week, finally got a chance to get my car onto the rollers, damn Couture Auto and their not opening on a damn Saturday lol!

Got Joe to tune it a wee bit and the difference is unreal. Far more mid range punch, not a huge gain to my peak number but tbh that's not important

531592_10150977703672825_679394242_n.jpg
    483228_10150977687767825_498991982_n.jpg

The yard there was manky so that's all the muck on the car and my front bumper needs to be refitted after a wee off at turn 2 in Mondello :p

I really don't want to sell it now but needs must!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

Fiona wrote: »
    Umnitza Orion V2 Predators are your only man. Expensive but you get what you pay for.

After reading around online I think you're right! Cheers Fi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Put on Irish ZV plates

Did you get black/silver pressed plates?
    Would look cool on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Yeah, they're the best on the market Alan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

Yeah, they're the best on the market Alan

Never had an issue with them when i had the e 46. The are k whole projector headlamp unit that you fit. Kennedydub on driver fit them on my car before i bought it so maybe drop him a pm about them?

Better:

213459.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

After replacing the left hand side engine mount on my T4 on friday and re-assembling the intercooler setup, my intercooler pipes started popping, leaving me without boost pressure. The issue was mainly one pipe, that wasn't flared at the ends.

So I went rummaging for some flared pipes in my parts collection and found a few bits and pieces, that did fit.

The initial solution on saturday worked, but left me with the turbo whining more than usual because there wasn't enough airflow and some of the rubber pipes were a bit squashed.

Second attempt today and all is good now.

293882_10150983930913682_1671756576_n.jpg

/M

Don't go with eBay CCFLs, you'll go through 5 sets of them in the life of Umnitza ones. The eBay ones have rubbish inverters that not only go kaput all the time, they interfere with parking sensors too. I've my Orion V2s for over 3 years now with zero problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Today I got my wrecked locknuts removed and ordered 2 tyres. the excitement :rolleyes:

On a happier note, I went Aldi crazy on Sunday

Washed car with turtle wax shampoo stuff that I bought a year ago but could never find and Aldi microfibre mitts
    Cranked up the aldi polisher and compounded the whole car bar the roof and bumpers with megs ultimate compound
    Polished it
    Cleaned the wheels with Aldi cleaner stuff which was pretty good stuff, the brushes are great
    Cleaned the leather

Then it rained and I went for a drive in the country and and I had a bag of chips in the car last night and kinda undid my good work a bit.

Don't go with eBay CCFLs, you'll go through 5 sets of them in the life of Umnitza ones. The eBay ones have rubbish inverters that not only go kaput all the time, they interfere with parking sensors too. I've my Orion V2s for over 3 years now with zero problems.

I'll be holding off buying any extra mods and bits for the next while...have other things that need sorting.

Coolant is leaking from the expansion tank:( I think it's coming from the cap, all signs point to that. New part ordered and coolant to top it up. I'm only down to the minimum or there abouts at the minute.

What part did you order?

What part did you order?

At the minute, I suspect it's the O rings on the filler cap. Worth a shot. Seems to be where it's coming from.

It's coming out really slowly, so it's really hard to tell, but I can see remnants of coolant from around there so here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

today i bought and put this in my astra
    7585127002_3f5230c7db.jpg

i dont really know why i bought it, never have before, but was in the motor factors today getting oil, oil filter, fuel filter, for a service tomorrow, and picked it up too...dunno why:o
    anyone ever used it...or anything like it

• Advertisement

spent the most part of the weekend putting on the xlink, rough job... too many wires.

still not complete as I will leave the unit attached to the dvd drive, will get a usb extension cable to bring the usb port out along the front., just need the usb port easily accessible for my memory stick.

have to attach the bluetooth to the visor next time too.

good unit that xlink, i can stream via blue tooth direct into my car speakers now...

always wanted to listen to radio kerry on the way to work.:P

7585372552_767e6877d3_z.jpg

7585370758_1d5026894f_z.jpg

7585369446_b92f084b6b_z.jpg

7585369446_b92f084b6b_z.jpg

7585356630_f85fa2513b_z.jpg

7585353242_da0e803c9a_z.jpg

7585351876_92a57f358c_z.jpg

Rich11 wrote: »
    today i bought and put this in my astra
    7585127002_3f5230c7db.jpg

i dont really know why i bought it, never have before, but was in the motor factors today getting oil, oil filter, fuel filter, for a service tomorrow, and picked it up too...dunno why:o
    anyone ever used it...or anything like it

Jesus..!!! :eek:
    I havent seen or heard of Bardahl in about 25 or 30 years.
    I even forgot it existed

ive bought that previously, is usually only for people who need it to cure oil burning or radiator leaks.

:D

and i wouldnt use oil cleaning crap in a car, if u want to clean your engine put in cheap crap oil and let it clean the engine out, then drain that and put in good quality oil.

them things also remove or could remove lubricants inside the engine itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

spent the most part of the weekend putting on the xlink, rough job... too many wires.

ya think? I put one in before in the Accord I had before and found it pretty simple.Online guide really helped though. :)

ya think? I put one in before in the Accord I had before and found it pretty simple.Online guide really helped though. :)

well it was 2 hours anyway,seemed ages. i had to nip to halfords for sockets too.

had you the touch screen unit also? its still not done, im waiting on a usb extension. don't want to rush these jobs/ :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭tuborg_man

Today I spent way to much money on second hand bbs alloy's. And gave up trying to fix my fiat scudo on a budget of zero and have agreed to sell it after I rip my taxi stuff from it.

• Advertisement

had you the touch screen unit also?

Nope.

Nope.

thought so, none of the Irish ones got that. You can imagine its slightly more tricky so? you should try doing it on the same unit and get back to me.

thought so, none of the Irish ones got that. You can imagine its slightly more tricky so? you should try doing it on the same unit and get back to me.

Mine wasn't an irish car, it was a Jap. :)

Fitted the Cupra Sideskirts to the Toledo today.
    Not a job my back and hips liked :(
    Too crocked to even dream of taking pics.
    Will get my son to sort some tomorrow.
    Good weather to be out though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I'll be holding off buying any extra mods and bits for the next while...have other things that need sorting.

Coolant is leaking from the expansion tank:( I think it's coming from the cap, all signs point to that. New part ordered and coolant to top it up. I'm only down to the minimum or there abouts at the minute.

In the E39 6-pots it's common, that the expansion tank itself is the issue for leaks. Could very well be the same in yours.

/M

• Advertisement

The 406 is running quite rough, me thinks the sender is clogged. Had a look at taking it out, this is going to be fun... :rolleyes:

OSI wrote: »
    Let's not kid ourselves here. We already know the engine is coming out :P

Well the sender is attached to the fuel lines, which go to the engine, which may be inaccessable....

One thing leads to another! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

dgt wrote: »
    Well the sender is attached to the fuel lines, which go to the engine, which may be inaccessable....

One thing leads to another! :eek:

Yeah but you'd use a blown indicator bulb as an excuse to take the engine out:P

Right full beam fyi :pac:

Hey....smarthole! Did you get my PM a while ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Got my new tyres today, a lot better than the bald ones that came off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Lads the axle stands and trolley jack are back in Lidl this thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭baldshin

They're back since yesterday, picked up the axle stands for €11.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

serviced my car today after work, just before the rain:cool:, oil, filter, didnt think i put it on so tight the last time i changed it:o, fuel filter: theres the old rusty one
    7592539362_8cc7c76eea_n.jpg

also, i through a can of bardahl engine flush into the car yesterday, and while i was draining the oil, the first bit was slightly thinker and a bit lumpy, so im assuming it was the bardahl which made it like that, through cleaning the engine, and it was only changed around 6/7,000miles ago

Just wanted to show the difference in the headlight situation:

213630.JPG

213631.JPG

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement