Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Nice one, makes a huge difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

^ Nice

I have to stop buying stuff for my MR2 myself..got crysal clear front indicators and crystal clear side repeaters among other things...the postie will be busy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Nice one, makes a huge difference.

wow, your sig is huge. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

wow, your sig is huge. :pac:

Fixed. don't ban me, I don't know how to use MS Paint properly yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Hey....smarthole! Did you get my PM a while ago?

runs to read through PM box....yes I did...and no I don't:P But I'll ask around;)
    LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Sold my old 924, great workhorse of a car sturdy old bus.Sad to see her go to be honest. But now I can concentrate on the 924 Turbo. And by me I mean NissanDoc :pac:

Things should hopefully be in place to start on it properly soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 CrazyMark

got Atlas to fit new petrol tank on my Aerodeck, no more trail of petrol everywhere I park!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Today I began the long process of detailing/correcting/fixing the paint on the cars. I started on the 159 as that's the one that has it the worst. I took it a panel at a time and did the following, using the following:

Tar remover - Autoglym Tar remover
    Clay bar kit - Autoglym clay kit
    Paint Cleanser -Again Autoglym paint cleanser
    Polished it using the Super Resin polish
    Then used the AG Paint renovater which worked very well at hiding the swirl marks.
    A final polish and the coated with a cover of their HD Wax.

The results look much better but I'll have to take some Eringobragh-style pics with a proper camera.

To the detailers out there, is there anything I'm doing wrong with the above products or anything I could use/buy to really improve the result?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

All this detailing and there I was trying to take out a diesel level sender, covering myself in diesel and stinking out the car....

Dirty, dirty diesels! :pac:

Why am I still awake, I have to be in work for 7.... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

166man wrote: »
    Today I began the long process of detailing/correcting/fixing the paint on the cars. I started on the 159 as that's the one that has it the worst. I took it a panel at a time and did the following, using the following:

Tar remover - Autoglym Tar remover
    Clay bar kit - Autoglym clay kit
    Paint Cleanser -Again Autoglym paint cleanser
    Polished it using the Super Resin polish
    Then used the AG Paint renovater which worked very well at hiding the swirl marks.
    A final polish and the coated with a cover of their HD Wax.

The results look much better but I'll have to take some Eringobragh-style pics with a proper camera.

To the detailers out there, is there anything I'm doing wrong with the above products or anything I could use/buy to really improve the result?

I would have used the AG Paint renovator
    Then use the AG SRP

I would imagine the Renovator would strip off the srp again. But as you put a coat of HD wax on top at least it is sealed in again.

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    I would have used the AG Paint renovator
    Then use the AG SRP

I would imagine the Renovator would strip off the srp again. But as you put a coat of HD wax on top at least it is sealed in again.

Sorry I should have added that I used polish before and after the renovater, not really too sure why! Any products or tips you would recommend? The paint is in pretty poor nick at this stage.

Sorry I should have added that I used polish before and after the renovater, not really too sure why! Any products or tips you would recommend? The paint is in pretty poor nick at this stage.

If the paint is ni good nick and just dull then a DA is the way forward. If the paint is just bad then it is hard to say..

If the paint is ni good nick and just dull then a DA is the way forward. If the paint is just bad then it is hard to say..

It's not a metallic black as far as I know, it's just a standard flat black, it's had a tough two years and has quite a bit of surface scratching on it with swirl marks being all over it. I understand it will never be perfect but even to get it in slightly better shape, do you reckon I have enough with the products I have or should I invest more? I hear all this talk on here of this ''blacklight'' stuff and jetseal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

You won't be doing any paint correction until you start using a D/A and cutting polish. What you're doing is a paint enhancement by hand.

The method you used is after stripping the polish from the paint when you used the renovator but I see you used it again afterwards.

To be honest, anything you do will only have a short-term effect whereas a proper correction is what you need for long term results. If you have the time to be doing this and are happy to put so much effort into doing it for short-term outcome then work away but it's not ideal.

You won't be doing any paint correction until you start using a D/A and cutting polish. What you're doing is a paint enhancement by hand.

The method you used is after stripping the polish from the paint when you used the renovator but I see you used it again afterwards.

To be honest, anything you do will only have a short-term effect whereas a proper correction is what you need for long term results. If you have the time to be doing this and are happy to put so much effort into doing it for short-term outcome then work away but it's not ideal.

Right thanks for that MM, I'm a complete newbie at this tbh.. I just don't think I could justify €160 for a D/A...

Right thanks for that MM, I'm a complete newbie at this tbh.. I just don't think I could justify €160 for a D/A...

Didn't we have that discussion before? ;)

Either that or you offer up the car for demos on a detailing day boards meet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

Didn't we have that discussion before? ;)

Either that or you offer up the car for demos on a detailing day boards meet!

I offer up my new car when I get it! Actually raging I put so much time into machining the audi and then decided I need a gti... I need my head examined!

gollywog wrote: »
    I offer up my new car when I get it! Actually raging I put so much time into machining the audi and then decided I need a gti... I need my head examined!

But surely it made the A4 easier to sell? :P

Gave the Toledo another run of the D.A yesterday using finishing pad ( black ) and Menzerna Final Finish Polish P085RE,
    Topped it off with one coat of Collinits 845.
    Looking close to mint now.

Pics of Sideskirts and shine later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

But surely it made the A4 easier to sell? :P

Gave the Toledo another run of the D.A yesterday using finishing pad ( black ) and Menzerna Final Finish Polish P085RE,
    Topped it off with one coat of Collinits 845.
    Looking close to mint now.

Pics of Sideskirts and shine later.

Well yes theres that alright :) Just spent the morning washing it, clean and sealed the wheels, shine the tyres, cleaned the glass and sealed the paintwork. Looks decent. Need to valet the interior tommorrow and shell be in a passable state :)

Vectra,
    Im after spending a good few quid getting products for a silver car, but the car im going to look at is red :rolleyes:
    I heard sealants dont work as well on red as a good wax, whats your thoughts?

gollywog wrote: »
    Well yes theres that alright :) Just spent the morning washing it, clean and sealed the wheels, shine the tyres, cleaned the glass and sealed the paintwork. Looks decent. Need to valet the interior tommorrow and shell be in a passable state :)

Vectra,
    Im after spending a good few quid getting products for a silver car, but the car im going to look at is red :rolleyes:
    I heard sealants dont work as well on red as a good wax, whats your thoughts?

Funny thing you should mention that.
    My next car is going to be read as well :D

On the flip side of the coin.

I had some chemical guys Blitz when my son had the red civic. I tried it on it and it was really nice.
    The thing is that Sealants tend to give a more metallic ( colder ) shine
    Waxes appear to be warmer shine.

I would hold tough until you get your car and try what you have.
    If you like it well and good.
    If not then the only extra is a decent wax.
    I am currently stuck on Collinite 845.
    Simple to use and a really nice finish on both white and black so possibly will do for my red one as well.

HTH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

...or for anyone with a turbo, EGR valve and pipe :D

whats the mr mucsle cleaner job ?

• Advertisement

fanadman1 wrote: »
    whats the mr mucsle cleaner job ?

It's to take all the caked-on carbon deposits off the inside of the EGR valve and EGR pipe. I got a CEL on my dash a while ago to say that the EGR recirc wasn't up to spec. This meant taking apart half the engine to get at the EGR valve and pipe, letting the oven cleaner sit in them for a while then scrubbing it off.

It's a pain in the t!ts and on my car, it has to be done every 60,000km's. You don't even notice a difference, only 1 less orange light on the dash :D

****ing Rain!

The aldi trolley ain't gonna cut the mustard with the MR2 :(...couldn't even get the car up too the first notch on the axle stands.I realised its the first.

time Ive used this jack since getting the car...I used the Halfords 3 tonne jack and was impressed with it, I recently got a halfords trade card so might look into one of these

Anyway I decided while it was a dry day I'd get on with more rust proofing with the car on the ground...I've done the cavity inside the car...now I'm sorting the sill from within the arch..some oxidisation had started (but just specks)...I treated both sides with Hammerite Kurust (2 coats).

img1382medium.jpg

img1383medium.jpg

img1418medium.jpg

While that was drying I decided to clay and correct the rear bottom half drivers side..unfortunately the heavy cut pad (ideal for these gaps) is in bits

after the meguiars scratch X ...I was able to make a start at it but need to correct a few small bits when the new pads arrive.

Much the same as before...I'm going to post the previous owner a book: Washing Cars for Dummies :P

BEFORE:

img1387medium.jpg

img1388medium.jpg

AFTER:

img1397medium.jpg

(Still some correction due here but 80& improvment even with shite pad!)

BEFORE:

img1389medium.jpg

img1392medium.jpg

img1400medium.jpg

AFTER:

img1401mediumm.jpg

BEFORE:

img1390medium.jpg

AFTER:

img1398medium.jpg

END RESULT:

img1402mediumg.jpg

....and then there was rain!

I really should be finished by now!! Small bit left to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Will you do up a guide to that polishing?

I have one, I use it but I've never been able to get that good of a result (Not that I'd want them on the Jag) but it'd be nice to know the correct proceedure.

I have one, I use it but I've never been able to get that good of a result (Not that I'd want them on the Jag) but it'd be nice to know the correct proceedure.

Could do something up...think its the product more then the technique ;): menzerna PO203S with medium cut pad

You have the Kestrel DAS-6?

Thats the cutting polish on the panel BTW...I have yet to stick the LSP on the panel.

Could do something up...think its the product more then the technique ;): menzerna PO203S with medium cut pad

You have the Kestrel DAS-6?

I do.

I HAD pads until I decided to leave them soak in a bucket of water and washing powder, lol.

I do.

I HAD pads until I decided to leave them soak in a bucket of water and washing powder, lol.

Are they fecked beyond repair..I presume you tried drying them out?

Technique I had copied somewhere...think it was vectra who told me how to use the thing :P

Are they fecked beyond repair..I presume you tried drying them out?

Technique I had copied somewhere...think it was vectra who told me how to use the thing :P

Yeah, they're gone. The back came off one and the other is just literally a pad full of washing power. Might throw it into the machine, waste not want not :pac:

Yeah, they're gone. The back came off one and the other is just literally a pad full of washing power. Might throw it into the machine, waste not want not :pac:

Just steep them in some virgin hot water next time ;)..thats all I do..speaking of which I've shredded 3 x 3.5" pads on my journey but they got some good use! Ive all my original 6.5" pads :)

Ok found it: It was Curran that posted it (see below mine):

I'm a novice and my technique differs slightly but works for me:

Applying some light pressure on the DA (Palm place on below)...........

213785.jpg

........but allow the disk to spin freely (Mark the back plate with a maker like below so you know for sure its spinning:

BlackMarkOnBackingPlate.jpg

Speed 2, to spread the polish on one pass (don't let the disk spin) , move onto....
    Speed 3, to warm the polish up, two passes, move onto....
    Speed 4.5 - 5, to work polish until clear...4 passes.....move onto....
    Speed 2, to final refine...
    Buff off.

Vary high speed when working with plastics! and check heat levels with fingers regulary...

Tip:

take your time moving the buffer should be moving an inch per second apply ample pressure but allowing the pad to spin freely.

Curran wrote:

Working at about 2500 / 3000 rpm will be safe.

Generally.....
    Speed 1, to spread the polish on one pass, move onto....
    Speed 2, to warm the polish up, two passes, move onto....
    Speed 3, to work polish until clear...two or three passes.....move onto....
    Speed 2, to final refine...
    Buff off.

Work in small sections, 12" x 12" sections...bigger and the polish dries out or not worked properly.
    Take your time, be patient, dont expect full correction in just one or two hits. A panel an evening, or two a day off and enjoy it, because it can get tedious.

Hope this helps!

I throw my pads in the washing machine with all my mf cloths,
    They come up a treat.

As eringobraith said.
    Just enough pressure to not stop the pad spinning.
    I actually only allow the D.A's own weight when using the finishing pad. mayb just a slight bit of pressure.

• Advertisement

Don't we have a sub-forum for all this?! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Yes, yes we do. :cool:

Yes, yes we do. :cool:

Don't shoot the messenger :P

Don't we have Moderators to split and move posts :P :pac:

Moving on ladies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Fitted the opc rear shocks, firmer but much less bouncy than before, job well done

firmer but much less bouncy than before

Isn't that the point :confused:

Yes, I didn't know how they would react in a heavier 5 door

Ps....gtechniq rocks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Topped up coolant and oil, then changed the wheels for my track wheels.

Looks like I might be lucky to pick up a spot of somebody else in Mondello tomorrow, whose car has developed a fault.

/M

• Advertisement

Yes, I didn't know how they would react in a heavier 5 door

Ps....gtechniq rocks!

Mind me asking which gtechniq product you used? I was gonna get some of the nano composite polish if it's any decent like...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Make sure not to drop any oil on the track I want a clean racetrack for Saturday :pac:

My car doesn't spill oil. It only burns it.

/M

Mind me asking which gtechniq product you used? I was gonna get some of the nano composite polish if it's any decent like...

C4 trim restorer recommended by MM, expensive but it really does work and the tiniest bit lasts for ages. I did mine and the gfs car trim and we've over a half bottle left. If it last for a year of the 2 years it states I'll be happy

C4 trim restorer recommended by MM, expensive but it really does work and the tiniest bit lasts for ages. I did mine and the gfs car trim and we've over a half bottle left. If it last for a year of the 2 years it states I'll be happy

You asked me about its coverage or something like that and I didn't bother me hole replying! A little bit of that goes a long way as you know now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Today was fun. ish...

NCT retest is tomorrow (failed on rear ball joints) and whilst I got all my control arms, links etc in the post, still no sign of my struts from Bilstein (German efficiency me arse).

So was forced to replace just the ball joints today for the retest tomorrow, which means ill have to do the rest when the struts arrive. Wanted to do the whole lot in one go and get it aligned, sure what can ya do.

Starting work:
    190720127472.jpg

Caliper off:
    190720127483.jpg

The ball joint removal tool I made i'm really proud off, worked first time! And brilliantly too, its comprised of regular 3/8" threaded bar, two different pieces of custom length exhaust (thanks to the sound chap in Trufit Dundalk), two 3/8" nuts, four washers and two large pipe fittings at each end.
    Also thanks to sound chap in Micron Engineering Dundalk who dropped what he was doing to machine the edges of the exhaust lengths perfectly square for me. Fairly going on about this tool, but saved myself €300 on the BMW one, this only cost me about €22 in parts. :D

Here it is pushing the ball joint out of the carrier:
    190720127461.jpg

Nice empty carrier, sanded down and greased ready for the new one:
    190720127505.jpg

Here's the tool reversed, pushing the ball joint back in:
    190720127527.jpg

Tada!:
    190720127538.jpg

Incredible amount of torque needed to get these in, I thought before doing it there might be a chance of whacking them in or out, not a hope.

Replaced the intergral links too while i was at it seeing as they had to come out:
    190720127549.jpg

1907201275510.jpg

The offending articles from both sides:
    19072012757.jpg

The ball joints were rotted through, flopping about.
    I marked where the car was aligned before and matched it up after, will get it aligned in a few days when I get my struts.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

So the past few days....
    Washed the car. :)
    Photo0178.jpg?t=1342727313
    Pro drift cap. :cool:
    Photo0179.jpg?t=1342727293

Black paint adds 5bhp!
    Photo0194.jpg?t=1342727125
    Photo0193.jpg?t=1342727156

New mats. Lidle, but really are big! :D
    Photo0189.jpg?t=1342727175
    Time to test out these bad boys! :cool:
    Photo0195.jpg?t=1342727094

Biblical comfort....:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Spacers fitted to the car...looks great. Was too late to take pics...tomorrow...

EDIT: Feck it anyway, here it is:
    213895.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Voodoo, that's a pretty sweet set up you've got there ! Fair play :)

So the past few days....
    Washed the car. :)
    Photo0178.jpg?t=1342727313

Whats the story with the blue bonnet..Ive seen it up here a few times and wondered...good work btw ;)

^ He's a huge Tipperary supporter of course :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Whats the story with the blue bonnet..Ive seen it up here a few times and wondered...good work btw ;)

dgt was knid enough to throw it in on the deal. the yellow bonnet had its work done. :) But Il be spraying it black. :)
    ^ He's a huge Tipperary supporter of course :pac:

Ha! my Arse.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement