Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

dgt sold somebody a FIAT..... Now who'd have guessed? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

dgt was knid enough to throw it in on the deal. the yellow bonnet had its work done. :) But Il be spraying it black. :)

Had any thoughts of wrapping it in carbon fibre..it would really compliment the yellow.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Antares wrote: »
    dgt sold somebody a FIAT..... Now who'd have guessed? ;)

Whaaaaat?

Had any thoughts of wrapping it in carbon fibre..it would really compliment the yellow.:cool:

It did indeed. But my biggest fear is a bubble in it then. :eek:

It did indeed. But my biggest fear is a bubble in it then. :eek:

nah you would be fine, do it in sections, heat gun and squeegee and youll be fine and if there is bubbles in it you could use your boards handle as an excuse :p

EDIT: Even the pros get bubbles from time to time, they prick them, heatgun and squeegee over them ;)

nah you would be fine, do it in sections, heat gun and squeegee and youll be fine and if there is bubbles in it you could use your boards handle as an excuse :p

EDIT: Even the pros get bubbles from time to time, they prick them, heatgun and squeegee over them ;)

Cool, But would a hair dryer do? I dont have a heat gun. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Not enough heat from a hairdryer. If you have ever felt the heat that comes out of a heat gun, you'll know exactly what I'm on about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Antares wrote: »
    Voodoo, that's a pretty sweet set up you've got there ! Fair play :)

Cheers! Everything I save on labour gets spent on tools, not saving any money (spent €99 on a socket set this morning), but gaining a half decent inventory over time.

It would but take a trip to your local aldi / lidl and you can get a heatgun for €15 if theres still some left over.

Not enough heat from a hairdryer. If you have ever felt the heat that comes out of a heat gun, you'll know exactly what I'm on about.

Cool, No I didnt. but I can imagine.

• Advertisement

It * might * be OK with the vinyl, but a heatguns the way to go.

It * might * be OK with the vinyl, but a heatguns the way to go.

Yup... How much are them yoke go for these days?

Yup... How much are them yoke go for these days?

See my post above aldi and lidl had them in recent weeks and they were between 15-20euro...I wrapped my front lip with an aldi one ;)

Cheers! Everything I save on labour gets spent on tools, not saving any money (spent €99 on a socket set this morning), but gaining a half decent inventory over time.

Fair play..thats the way I roll as well :) ...and I enjoy doing it as well...reckon I'm just starting to break even now..though I need a new trolley jack :pac:

Just as well a service only costs me > €40:D

See my post above aldi and lidl had them in recent weeks and they were between 15-20euro...I wrapped my front lip with an aldi one ;)

Sorry, missed that. :o Thanks, I must invest. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

.I wrapped my front lip with an aldi one ;)

Top or bottom? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

My first mod to car of any type in my life :D
    replaced default Opel corsa C radio unit with new. Now supports USB, Aux, CD, many SD cards.
    Bought radio unit in argos for like 65 euro.
    Then bought this casing/dash panel for 20 euro.
    So here we go:

fe411d2b.jpg
    8fa5e2a3.jpg
    c7b42c27.jpg
    5b4d160c.jpg
    c10d9668.jpg

Pulled out old system front panel using few flat head screwdrivers, then pulled out the system itself using 2 pairs of pliers, had to cut off standart antenna port, and re-wire a bit, change the way wires go through dashboard so it all fits in, placed new bracked/panel up, pulled radio inside (antenna was awkward as it's really short) Done.

I feel so proud :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Listens to Spin! :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

arleitiss wrote: »
    My first mod to car of any type in my life :D
    replaced default Opel corsa C radio unit with new. Now supports USB, Aux, CD, many SD cards.
    Bought radio unit in argos for like 65 euro.
    Then bought this casing/dash panel for 20 euro.
    So here we go:

Pulled out old system front panel using few flat head screwdrivers, then pulled out the system itself using 2 pairs of pliers, had to cut off standart antenna port, and re-wire a bit, change the way wires go through dashboard so it all fits in, placed new bracked/panel up, pulled radio inside (antenna was awkward as it's really short) Done.

I feel so proud :D

Looks grate job done, just wonder do you like if in panel there grey/silver ish color section? i would paint it make look same as all dash.

just my 2 cents

• Advertisement

Mar4ix wrote: »
    Looks grate job done, just wonder do you like if in panel there grey/silver ish color section? i would paint it make look same as all dash.

just my 2 cents

Yeah I was thinking so as well but bother much for now

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Listens to Spin! :eek::eek::eek:

I don't get it, why do ppl dont like spin fm? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

lift1.jpg

Passed. :D
    Tester was "afraid to put his feet down".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Love the E38.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭phoenix_nights2

Bought a Soft Top for my Surf here in NZ. The pic below is from the supplier showing the tint versus the non-tint. Went for the tint.....will have to wait till summer to install though :rolleyes:

Window%2BTints.JPG

The recipient
    132616088480427.jpg

Soft top on my other surf
    20112011797.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

FINALLY some decent weather to get around to projects.

Fitted a Parrot MKi9200 to my car yesterday. The antiquated Jag headunit is the one thing that p!ssed me off with the XK8, it's not easily replaced with a standard DIN unit due to the curved bezel.

The main reason I wanted the upgrade was #1 to be able to play music off memory stick and #2 to have a hands-free car-kit. I guess for a lot of Parrot customers, it's the other way around. As a media player, it's pretty good, the quality of playback is superb and it's quick to traverse folders and directories. I just wish it had voice-control of such things. The only other thing it misses is that it does not remember the folder/song last being played with the car was switched off. Not a big deal though.

Under the central console in the car there's provision for a Jag car it- but with mono sound only. I just used that location to hide the Parrot's brain and to get earth, 12v permanent and 12v ignition. The L&R channels were routed into the boot and cut & spliced into the feed from the CD changer. At the moment, a CD needs to be installed and spinning for the headunit to be activated.

Nice system, the Parrot.

IMG_1357.jpg

th_IMG_1356.jpg th_IMG_1358.jpg th_IMG_1359.jpg th_IMG_1360.jpg th_IMG_1361.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

arleitiss wrote: »
    I don't get it, why do ppl dont like spin fm? :D

Because noneof us have ever heard of spin fm in this country and if its anything like spin 1038, it'll be full of crap :pac:

Ordered a radio fascia for the 406. 40 yoyos in Hallfrauds or 10 delivered to my door from fleabay :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Diar

tinted the back windows of the A4 myself.
    wish I got a darker tint though. :(
    [URL="[IMG]http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w455/Diarmolo/DSCN0385.jpg[/IMG]"]DSCN0385.jpg[/URL]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Not a bad job at all!

What did you use?

Tallon wrote: »
    Not a bad job at all!

What did you use?

What do you mean?

Window tint film 35% VLT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Diar wrote: »
    What do you mean?

Window tint film 35% VLT
    I mean to put it on, Water, Credit Card etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭kyote00

After nearly 15 years of driving Alfas for my everyday car, I decided to try something different so got this yesterday.....

was fairly mank to start with.

clayed it, paint cleaner, machine buff and polish.....

289leo4.jpg

30bzbk3.jpg

2z69fo2.jpg

A few small tidy ups to be done ....

Tallon wrote: »
    I mean to put it on, Water, Credit Card etc?
    1) clean the glass in side and out until it spotless Using washing up liquid and water.
    2) spray the glass on the outside with washing up liquid and water. rest the tint in the glass cut to size.
    3) press the tint firmly against glass to cut to the exact size
    4)wet the in inside of the glass with the mixture.
    5) remove the adhesive cover film on the tint using tape and spray the adhesive side of the tint with mixture as you peal it off leave the bottom 50mm connected.
    6) transfer to the inside.
    7)force out all the liquid from under the tint starting at the top, heat the if required to remove bubbles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

kyote00 wrote: »
    After nearly 15 years of driving Alfas for my everyday car, I decided to try something different so got this yesterday.....

was fairly mank to start with.

clayed it, paint cleaner, machine buff and polish.....

A few small tidy ups to be done ....

Very nice, very nearly went Scooby myself just recently but decided not to in the end, have other priorities at the minute so a fun road car is off the list

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

nice jobs lads.

i finally put on the xlink, works good. need to tidy up the b/t wires and mic. Put the usb stick into the housing with a led to illuminate,. not very elegant but will do me fine.

i can copy all my mp3s into folders (100 per folder) and access via steering controls. no id tag so i will need to improvise with some old skool methods too.

never thought there be a day i could listen to radio kerry this far away. :)

next job is alloys and eibach springs.

7611735900_4c8005ab4b.jpg

7611726436_c3cd6bb628_z.jpg

7611750140_2dba86f273.jpg

7611728220_fc14076789.jpg

7611732774_ff881c6468.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

nice jobs lads.

i finally put on the xlink, works good. need to tidy up the b/t wires and mic. Put the usb stick into the housing with a led to illuminate,. not very elegant but will do me fine.

i can copy all my mp3s into folders (100 per folder) and access via steering controls. no id tag so i will need to improvise with some old skool methods too.

never thought there be a day i could listen to radio kerry this far away. :)

next job is alloys and eibach springs.

You could use Tag & Rename to make your life easier, or use some freeware for the job, here's a list:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-mp3-tag-editor.htm

Because I know what a pain it can be to have hundreds of mp3's all with title "Unknown"

it wont handle names..

i can just stick all my different genres into different folders.

using the steering controls to flick between tracks and album's is a big plus though.

I can always chuck all my music into my phones memory and use that to stream.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I can always chuck all my music into my phones memory and use that to stream.

Phone works for me. Have an 8 gig card in it and use the inbuilt mp3 player hooked up to the car's stereo via the AUX input.
    Simple but effective.

theres 32gb in my phone but i will just use the usb stick, the xlink also remembers the last song played and if you got b/t connected it will resume playing once a call ends etc.

all very good.

I went OTT with a 3m usb extension but theres just a few seconds lag between starting up a song.

* no aux in my unit, if there was i would not have rippped it open :p

you need to open it to get access to its ports, i believe its an alpine head unit.

gave the inside a cleaning, leather looks good. Cleaned the pipes with brasso.

will put on the alloys next week when springs arrive.

if cars could talk this one would say, ' i love you too man..:p', the last owners did not treat her so well. Least it was not modified and totally original. 50quid extra from insurance to get the springs on.

7616772130_487bd44eeb_z.jpg

7616770538_6318e1a163.jpg

7616768506_81aa0d4e81_b.jpg

7616825440_aafeba4fe8_c.jpg

7616763442_93d22cf222_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Picked up a set of m-sport wheels today for it. Miles better than the stock ones.

DCBEDA6A35B0485F96FB60FE4E5676F4-0000326601-0002938359-00500L-A1FE4E068D4F4BBB99DBFF8E81B566B9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Better get some stuff on here...

406 got a coolant change
    Image246.jpg
    Image247.jpg

Only to find my rad is bolloxed :mad:

Binned the old radio
    Image249.jpg

For an even bigger pile of crap!
    Image2511.jpg

I have a fascia ordered, this one to be exact :)

Fuelling problem... Sender out job!

Bench off
    Image252.jpg

After drilling the cover off and battling with the plastic cover, I found find this sorry sight...
    Image253.jpg

And after more cursin' and hammerin' I got it out. Horrible
    Image254.jpg

Cleaned up, back in, primed up. Drives so smooth again :)

Then got a battery for it. No more bad starting
    Image255.jpg

Enough of that car...

The van got brighter lights. Stupidly powerful xenon yellows. Light up everything :D
    Image258.jpg

It's very hard to capture the brightness of the bulbs...
    Image257.jpg

Had a rearrangement of cars up here too. More room to manoeuvre :)

Need shut of more of those cars....!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

My diamond shaped BMW key decided to act the maggot, as the lock button kept engaging even though it was not being pressed. So, these keys are not meant to be opened, so had to crack it apart, while at the same thinking I'd feck it up totally.

Once opened the button on the PCB looked ok, but came apart a little to easily, to the point where the bits went everywhere. Having put it back together, it stopped making the click noise when pressed so was convinced I had missed a part when disassembling. Either way, it wasn't sitting right, so decided to strip out the boot open button to donate to the lock button. This worked well, and I found that the metal strip that makes the contact is what actually makes the click as it flexs.

It is now locking at my command as intended, and the key is currently been held together with trusty gaffer tape. I'll leave it a week or two to make sure it is 100% before glueing it back together, but the tape and a single tie wrap are doing the job for the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

fitted the 98 spec tail lights there yesterday, really shaping up i feel :)

35lgadu.jpg

vd1n50.jpg

21nr3me.jpg

23t60q1.jpg

2iuck2c.jpg

2uf9jpg.jpg

14cwvb7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

My god that's immaculate inside and out ^^

Wonder would it suit the reversing-lamps being smoked ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd leave them as they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Car is looking well andy - though I think personally I prefer the older shape lights on the rear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

cheers for the nice comments :)

i'm trying to go the opposite route to every other glanza and get it back to as standard as possible. its lowered, but thats the only modification, won't be messing with anything else.

if i could find an original toyota lip kit i'd fit it but other than that now i'm pretty happy with it. a set of good rubber before the NCT next month and she'l be right :D

andyseadog wrote: »
    cheers for the nice comments :)

i'm trying to go the opposite route to every other glanza and get it back to as standard as possible. its lowered, but thats the only modification, won't be messing with anything else.

sometimes less is more :) it looks well in its standard spec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

I bought it :)

resizeimage531218445.jpg

resizeimage531797905.jpg

resizeimage531900624.jpg

resizeimage531976576.jpg

Some craic :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement