Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

rizzee wrote: »
    Nice, i'll take a nose :D

Sporting GP or mk2?? Sounds sweet! Bit of kerbing on these alloys needs a good refurb... also have a set of gloss white ones that I bought on here but I think i'll just sell them on and stick to these... get some coilovers and ill be flying :)

Mk2 and mk1, both broom yellow :) both a hoot to go!

In a GP yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Wipers were acting up in the xanti, (wouldnt work on intermittent setting, or park where theyre supposed to wjen you switch em off) so took out the infamous blue relay , blew the dust off it and resettled the blades, put it back in and full functionality returns :)

Also refitted the horrible standard hubcaps, I actually prefer the bare steelies :O

And drove 200 miles in pure floaty floppy comfort :D

Considered washing, polishing & waxing it but having done 2 cars already this weekend, my arms are a bit too weary :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

Nice one! Had a white HGT rep mk2 facelift about a year and a half ago :) In a GP now, Black 3 door van with plans to convert to a car.... owned it just under a month and already spent a bomb on it to make it my own...the joys :p

Nice one! Had a white HGT rep mk2 facelift about a year and a half ago :) In a GP now, Black 3 door van with plans to convert to a car.... owned it just under a month and already spent a bomb on it to make it my own...the joys :p

Ooooh! Abarth bumpers, colour handles, leather wheel? :D

Have yet to drive a GP myself..... Seems a nice place to be though!

Customising can feel like a bottomless pit at times.... :o

dgt wrote: »
    Ooooh! Abarth bumpers, colour handles, leather wheel? :D

Have yet to drive a GP myself..... Seems a nice place to be though!

Customising can feel like a bottomless pit at times.... :o

And Abarth Mats! :D

Ah it is, I only have a 1.2 8v so i'm pretty sure it's the same engine as the mk2s unfortunately... and the GP is heavier so less power :/ tipped 170 on the m/way the other day though... ok ok downhill with wind, still counts :p

That's the fun of it :D

And Abarth Mats! :D

Ah it is, I only have a 1.2 8v so i'm pretty sure it's the same engine as the mk2s unfortunately... and the GP is heavier so less power :/ tipped 170 on the m/way the other day though... ok ok downhill with wind, still counts :p

That's the fun of it :D

It would be with slightly different euro standards :) they don't hang around even 8 valvers! You could turbo it..... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Mars Bar wrote: »

Does everything I want (MP3, Bluetooth for phone) but my Xperia Ray doesn't have feckin' speed dial (€300 phone and no speed dial :rolleyes:) so I'd still have to pull in to make a call if I needed to.

I'm an ass!

I figured out how to do the quick dial on the stereo.

We're all sorted and ready to go! :cool:

It would be with slightly different euro standards :) they don't hang around even 8 valvers! You could turbo it..... :D

Coilovers next on the list I think :D

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/FIAT-GRANDE-PUNTO-1-2-1-4-30mm-PI-LOWERING-SPRINGS-/330564242809?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cf72a0d79#ht_6258wt_888

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭frank gallagher

On the topic... Looked like someone flicked paint at my car til I got up close, some bird had the squits all over the roof.... Bastards!

Pity you didn't get her name, sounds like my type of woman

• Advertisement

Managed to rob a camera. Hopefully they will automatically adjust to size otherwise sorry for big pics folks.

http://i44.tinypic.com/35044yp.jpg

These are my white alloys, just need to be lacquered. Don't know whether to use these or else refurb my ones that I got today -

http://i43.tinypic.com/x6ix37.jpg

New Badges (and Punto logo at back gone) :D

http://i43.tinypic.com/9led6c.jpg

Kahn RSRs!!! :cool:

Sporting wheels suit the car better imo.... That's just me though!

Have you evo tail lights? Very nice motor :D

Thanks mate!! I'll have to agree, I think the sporting ones are very sharp and with a refurb looking like new i'd be more than happy to keep!

Just had a mate come up with his punto and tried on the Kahns, he really likes them! So might have them sold next week on his payday, small profit too :)

Nope just got smoke black tint on the back lights and a lighter tint on the front ones :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Thanks mate!! I'll have to agree, I think the sporting ones are very sharp and with a refurb looking like new i'd be more than happy to keep.
    OK OK, two things dude - €200 refurb deal on Groupon right now (Wheels for €199 at Eurosonics -http://bit.ly/ZAjPf1) and where the fiddles did you find the sporting wheels? I've been looking for them here (and correctly priced) for about 4 months!

PS: Red badges look well ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I'd google eurosonics before buying.... in Ireland the only place I'd be going for a refurb is wheel wizards tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭mondymike

Thanks mate!! I'll have to agree, I think the sporting ones are very sharp and with a refurb looking like new i'd be more than happy to keep!

Just had a mate come up with his punto and tried on the Kahns, he really likes them! So might have them sold next week on his payday, small profit too :)

Nope just got smoke black tint on the back lights and a lighter tint on the front ones :D

I'd keep the sporting wheels but paint the spokes anthracite myself..... Or something to that effect. It's your motor thou.

• Advertisement

advertsfox wrote: »
    OK OK, two things dude - €200 refurb deal on Groupon right now (Wheels for €199 at Eurosonics -http://bit.ly/ZAjPf1) and where the fiddles did you find the sporting wheels? I've been looking for them here (and correctly priced) for about 4 months!

PS: Red badges look well ;)

Im getting a full refurb on 4 tyres and respray for €200 in the next 2 weeks ;) Thanks though!! Them white alloys are FS if you know anyone :)

My dad has a sporting GP 1.3 90hp and bought all the factory extras when getting the car in 08'! He swapped me for my hubcaps yesterday as he wanted a smaller tyre (sound :p) !

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sathanlon

I tried bg44k in my 03 skoda . would have being better if I had put cold tea in it no change in the car . paid 20 euro for the can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

sathanlon wrote: »
    I tried bg44k in my 03 skoda . would have being better if I had put cold tea in it no change in the car . paid 20 euro for the can

How do you know it made no difference and what were you wanting it to do?
    Just curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Just finished washing mine, power wash and 2 buckets. The beading was phemoninal from the last time I waxed it in February, so I skipped going over it with another layer. I'm getting a new clutch kit installed on Friday to sort the juddering problem :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Fitted a front bumper. Was driving around without for ages.

8717942959_73437963e2_c.jpg

/M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Mapped like a mother****er.... My ears are fit to explode but worth it :D

923310_10151450593822825_334262289_n.jpg

Off to get two new tyres now and made an appointment for Friday to install a custom fit k&n induction kit :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Think about it, £7.50 for a small chip piece of plastic that increases power by over 30% ??

Not to be smart, but go faster stripes would probably give you more power :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Remapping only really gives decent benifits on turbo cars, on a non turbo all you will get is more lively throttle response at best

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Think about it, £7.50 for a small chip piece of plastic that increases power by over 30% ??

Not to be smart, but go faster stripes would probably give you more power :o

I was thinking that, obviously 30hp, more torque, acceleration etc is BS but I was just asking to see if anyone had used one before :)

I'll stick the the stripes so :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

I know this isn't really what I did today. But it's what I finished today. I posted the car in this thread as well before but I said I would put it all into 2 posts for anyone who missed it or forgot about it :P

This is it when I got it first
    DSC_0369.jpg

This is it now
    DSC_0012.jpg

Notice anything different? :D

When I got it first it wasn't running that great. I had to travel from Dublin back to west cork in it. The battery was gone and the belt for the alternator was on it's last legs. So the car was sluggish and didn't really run properly. Managed to get it home anyway then when taking it to a friends house it gave up within a mile of my house :eek:

I replaced the belt and the battery first. The car was then running properly. So then I decided to fix other little problems with the engine.
    DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0380.jpg

DSC_0383.jpg

Okay I lied. I wasn't fixing my engine at all :D It's out of a 728i so the sump was the right one to begin with.
    DSC_0382.jpg

No pictures of fitting the new engine. I wasn't risking the engine hanging over the car. So here it is just fitted. Still a long way to go. Not much space between it and the radiator.
    DSC_0388.jpg

This is the wiring almost done. I had to use a 328 wiring loom and cut off all the rubbers and adjust it to fit into the E30.
    DSC_0393.jpg

All wired up and ready to start once I fit the rad properly. And get the EWS removed.
    DSC_0397.jpg

Had to change the brake servo to a clio servo since a standard E30 one wouldn't fit.
    DSC_0028.jpg

Time to connect the gearbox to the axle. Old one is the one with the guibo and center bearing on it. Slight problem. Had to get a different one instead as the second one was too long as well.
    DSC_0400.jpg

Got a new remapped 328 ECU from the UK. It arrived on a Monday and I was in college so my brother put it in and tried to start the car. No good. I had to wait until the Friday when I would be home. First thing I did was open the fuse box as the aftermarket alarm had wires going into it. Straight away I see the fuel pump wires had come apart in the alarm loom. So I ripped it out and over my shoulder it went. I soldered all the wires back together the way they were first day. Sat into the car and it still wouldn't start but at least I had the system priming. Spent ages wondering what it could be but didn't try anything. Then decided to swap the fuel lines. Started first turn then :o I had put them in the wrong way around.

I then took it for the first drive. Only around my house. No further since it had no exhaust at all. It seems quick but can't judge properly.
    DSC_0034.jpg

I then sent it off to a welder to weld some spots of rust on the shell and to weld the exhaust. I had purchased a full stainless steal exhaust for €250. Bargain.
    DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0015.jpg

The engine was finally done. I added an E36 air con fan and must fit the temp switch this weekend.
    DSC_0003.jpg

This is it.
    DSC_0009.jpg

Now just to enjoy it and clean it up a bit more. Like not tie up the cone filter :o

I have done 350 miles in it so far with no problems to report. Except that it's too much fun to put the shoe down and burn lots of petrol. 0-60 is in the region of 6 seconds with more to come with an M50 manifold hopefully. Maybe S50 cams during the summer. We'll see.

I'm sure I'll have more to add shortly. Happy to answer any questions as well :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

The only q I have is....youve time for all that but yet you might not be around for the meet tomorrow? :P:D

The only q I have is....youve time for all that but yet you might not be around for the meet tomorrow? :P:D

:D:D:D

Yeah sorry about that. I'll be in Cork next week again so you can see it then if you want/have time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭r27

Thanks for the post above ^^
    Car looks great , where did you get the stainless exhaust ?
    Seen a few e30 track builds , you plan on doing a few laps in this ?

r27 wrote: »
    Thanks for the post above ^^
    Car looks great , where did you get the stainless exhaust ?
    Seen a few e30 track builds , you plan on doing a few laps in this ?

I got it in a bid on ebay. Needless to say the seller stopped putting the exhausts up for bid. Now you have to buy it straight :P

Not too sure yet. I'd rather take the E36 for a few laps since that has the suspension all done. The E30 has yet to have the suspension uprated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Fitted some LED bulbs tonight to the focus.
    A few pictures
    Inside after

image-1_zpsfa701f5d.jpg

Number plates 1 bulb changed
    0eafc609-2d50-4b76-8399-469e452785da_zps3a8726fc.jpg

Fully changed
    6a6c16c1-2dfe-4418-9d01-104c00766b4f_zps3024151c.jpg

I'm very happy with them specially inside there very bright which is what i wanted. I'm still waiting for some for the boot area as thats really dull at night. I bought them on ebay for a few cent each :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dh0011

changed the girlfriends air and oil filters, oil, plugs, gave the brakes a clean and topped up the coolant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

dh0011 wrote: »
    changed the girlfriends air and oil filters, oil, plugs, gave the brakes a clean and topped up the coolant

I'd say the girlfriend is running sweet now! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Tonight was the last time I'll actually see my car until I'm in Bishopscourt Friday night. So a few things needed to be done, the boys put the seat in and myself and Quazzie wired in a headlight switch and ran wires to both headlight units and they worked! Joe Power thought me how to solder properly (I could solder but now I can do it without making a mess lol) and the lights work!

When the car was built initially front facing lights weren't required, this year they are

480190_10151452404942825_1915056147_n.jpg
    303047_10151452405287825_2036490775_n.jpg
    428622_10151452405657825_1065769341_n.jpg

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

When I got my car there was an annoying bleeping sound when I turned on the ignition. Turns out its the parrot bluetooth set complaining that the microphone and display are not connected (fair enough, they didnt come with the car). The last 2 evenings I spent rooting around behind all the dash panels, and eventually found the parrot bluebox. Unfortunately I started looking behind the center console, traced some wires to the drivers footwell, stripped that out, only to find they looped back over to the passenger footwell.
    IMAG0200.jpg
    Found you!
    IMAG0201.jpg

For some reason, whomever owned the car before me cut the wires for both display and microphone. No idea why, surely a bluetooth system only adds value to the sale.

In other news, im awaiting a full set of internal light LEDs, and a new RNS 510 radio to replace my RCD 510 (GPS, Video playback, 20GB of internal storage for music).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

In other news, im awaiting a full set of internal light LEDs, and a new RNS 510 radio to replace my RCD 510 (GPS, Video playback, 20GB of internal storage for music).

Where did you get your RNS 510? Been angling for one for a while, just so hard to justify the cost!

Flee bay. Ill report back when it arrives, but fingers crossed its all fine and dandy. Its a version C, LED one. There are Newer versions out there, but crazy money.

• Advertisement

Finally fitted me new plates from Eire Plates, the red Fiat badge (such a big difference) new 16 SMD interior LED (old one went strobing oddly) and immediately put on the Heko wind deflectors, work great at cruising speeds esp. with the current winds.

Tyres and alloys to come shortly since I also sorted the wheel arches, missing two small plastic pieces too so must pick then up.

*Round 2:
    Booked in with George Dalton to get cruise control fitted next weekend. Ive missed it since selling the A3.

[size=-2]*First time down to him we spotted VW gave him the wrong stalks :([/size]

put on the Heko wind deflectors, work great at cruising speeds esp. with the current winds.
    On both sides or just the drivers side? First pic doesnt show em on the passenger side.

On both sides or just the drivers side? First pic doesnt show em on the passenger side.
    Both sides man, first picture doesn't even have them but the second picture does ;)

Finally fitted me new plates from Eire Plates, the red Fiat badge (such a big difference) new 16 SMD interior LED (old one went strobing oddly) and immediately put on the Heko wind deflectors, work great at cruising speeds esp. with the current winds.

Tyres and alloys to come shortly since I also sorted the wheel arches, missing two small plastic pieces too so must pick then up.

Great job with the badges makes such a difference! You only live 5 mins from me haha i'll keep an eye out this evening.. deliveries :pac:

Went to Red Power today then couldn't fit an induction kit or air filter cause the air inlet hole is far too small :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dh0011

got my car tracked today 4 wheel alignment - made some difference as it was a long way out. Even the gear changes are smoother now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I got a new clutch 3 piece kit installed today. Car feels better for it, but can still hear a faint juddering but not half as bad as it was. I still reakon it's flywheel related. It's enough to annoy me so I have to get it sorted. :)

I did plan to crack out the welder and make some adapters, alas I nearly lost the will to live trying to find the manifold. I can't find it

Perseverance pays off.... I found the f*cker :cool:
    Image622.jpg

EGR will be blanked.... I've cleaned the EGR itself rather well though :D

Not big enough yet.... Needs it's hole widened.... :pac::pac::pac:
    Image624.jpg

Out with this
    Image625.jpg

And the K750 made very short work of cutting to size :D
    Image626.jpg

Pikey aligned
    Image627.jpg

The Makita just wasn't going to cut it.... Out with this brute
    Image628.jpg

Getting there....
    Image629.jpg

And for a bleary eyed idiot high on burning metal and oil fumes, it's pretty much spot on on both ends.... ;) Need to make the holes bigger for extra movement!
    Image630.jpg

And that'll prob be me for a while.... Feckin exams....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Got rid of bulbs. LED strip instead. :D

253342.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

joujoujou wrote: »
    Got rid of bulbs. LED strip instead. :D

MG]

genius. I really like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Looks like you tried to make your reg into a QR code :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement