Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

How much for the rns510 if you don't mind me asking?

Lovely bit of kit

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

All came to €512, registered post with UPS. This ebay seller. They tend to end bidding at £380, so I wouldnt pay more than that, considering he has loads for sale.

Just off the phone with those lovely people at VW. Turns out they want 50 quid to retrieve for the Radio Code off my RCD 510. I thought they'd just need the chassis number and radio serial number, but seemingly they changed this a few years ago.
    Fingers crossed the code is written down somewhere on some documentation in the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Not today, but thursday and friday.

Dragged the R19 out of the garage, changed oil filter and oil, drained fuel and changed fuel filter. New timing belt and new spark plugs. All that on thursday.

And then tore the crap out of the poor thing on Mondello on friday.

942318_10151495936308682_1881103721_n.jpg
    935325_10151495936013682_1993608698_n.jpg

Now the engine, seats and steering wheel are gonna come out and land in my Volvo 340.

/M

Sorry for the terrible quality photos, couldnt be bothered going upstairs for the camera.

The interior bulbs set was this on here from user hq_auto_lighting_uk. It included 5 LEDs for the dome lights, 2 for the footwells (which I used in the door warning lights), 1 for the glove box, 1 for the boot and 2 for the vanity mirrors. As it turns out, the glove box in my CC is the same as the dome lights. I discovered this a bit late so the center bulb in my rear dome lights is yellow. Need to order another LED unless someone here has one going :D.

The License plate LEDs are these ones, by the same seller as above.

Interior before:
    IMAG0244.jpg
    After:
    IMAG0249.jpg

Boot before:
    IMAG0243.jpg
    After:
    IMAG0247.jpg

Door warning lights before:
    IMAG0239.jpg
    After:
    IMAG0248.jpg

License Plate before:
    IMAG0242.jpg
    After:
    IMAG0252.jpg

Also noticed the new radio CD drive whirring a bit while I was working on the lights. Maybe itd stop when I locked the car, maybe not, but I took the CD out just in case and that stopped it. Hoping its A) nothing, or B) will go away once I code the car up for the new radio.

QQ. All the guides tell me I have to remove/disconnect the Compass module from my car if im to put in sat nav. Anyone know anything about these compass modules? Wondering is it in mine or maybe it might just be a US thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

The RNS510s do whir a bit alright, nothing to be concerned about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

My brother took my car for NCT today. Had 5 failures to do with the steering rack :eek:

I was in the scrap yard buying an E36 rack for it when he was just going into the test center :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Bought some BMW coolant from Murphy and Gunn, wish I knew where it was actually leaking from...have only had to top it up twice in my time owning it, so it's definitely a slow leak!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

Sunny weather :-)

33c9iyr.jpg

fa8ykl.jpg

4rbvwn.jpg

657be0.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Really like those Puntos. Wouldn't mind a tjet version:cool:. She's looking well!

Thanks v much! The father has a mjet 90hp, they're a really nice car to drive and unreal and juice. Best small car on the market for the price IMO :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

Sourced an E36 rack in Watergrasshill. Couldn't wait any longer to try find an E46 compact one.

DSC_0022.jpg

Managed to bend all the pipes and get it fitted but it shoved the steering shaft into the exhaust again. So I have to take the exhaust out tomorrow and flatten the bit that it is hitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Huge shout out to dgt who gave his advice and expertise to the 156 this evening in fitting that leather interior you may have seen pictures of. Finally fitted after a good 4-5 hours sorting out various issues and making sure it all went in properly.

It's like a new car inside it really is. I'm genuinely astounded by how comfortable it is and just how well it looks. Will post proper pictures tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Proper pictures as opposed to the crap ones you just put up is it? :pac:

Proper pictures as opposed to the crap ones you just put up is it? :pac:

Feck off back to your 325 club with all your cronies.....:pac:

But yes will take some decent pictures early in the morning,weather permitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

166man wrote: »
    ...weather permitting.

solar powered camera?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Huge shout out to dgt who gave his advice and expertise to the 156 this evening in fitting that leather interior you may have seen pictures of. Finally fitted after a good 4-5 hours sorting out various issues and making sure it all went in properly.

It's like a new car inside it really is. I'm genuinely astounded by how comfortable it is and just how well it looks. Will post proper pictures tomorrow.

I couldn't have thought of a better way to spend a Tuesday evening after an exam, right up till nearly 1am :D

Bench needs a very small bit of attention but nothing difficult :)

I can say, it looks completely different now, it's something else to be in :) Amazing what a different colour interior does :eek: momos and all! :cool:

Strangely busy in town for this time of morning though.... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Picked up brand new second hand (:pac:) wiper linkages finally on monday, may have sourced some other goodies for the car too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

busy evening doing nothing :)

we gave the missus car a wash

2uo03v7.jpg

we gave my car a wash after (was getting dark by then)

2wqvofb.jpg

2v9qioy.jpg

also made up a set of these for my wheels. On the owners forum its all about what "JDM" wheels you have seemingly, Works, Enkeis, Advans, Rays Engineering etc etc. so its nice to make it clear that i'm rocking my original wheels which is almost more exclusive.

33tqtmx.jpg

wujsw0.jpg

always tinkering with different little decals in the car, they'l probably be gone in a week but for now i quite like them. I must say overall though i'm just so happy with the little glanza, all that money on preventative maintenance has really given it a great lease on life! feels like a car half its age.

threw a few more stickers at the civic too

14vts74.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

also made up a set of these for my wheels.
    Do you have your own vinyl cutter or something? :confused:

That Starlet Glanza ( :D ) looks really well when it's lowered Andy, keep it that way!

• Advertisement

Top Dog wrote: »
    Do you have your own vinyl cutter or something? :confused:

yeah :) if you're on facetube check out vinyl styling, thats us. website should be rolling very shortly too.
    That Starlet Glanza ( :D ) looks really well when it's lowered Andy, keep it that way!

thanks :) tis damn uncomfortable, not looking forward to dragging it to glendalough :pac:

thanks :) tis damn uncomfortable, not looking forward to dragging it to glendalough :pac:

True, I wouldn't know anything about uncomfortable suspension driving a 12 year old Alfa 156.....:pac: I do like it though, what's the power output again?

It can't be that uncomfortable.........!

I can safely say I've never seen a set of original Glanza wheels till I saw your car :) nice to see OEM for a change! :D

True, I wouldn't know anything about uncomfortable suspension driving a 12 year old Alfa 156.....:pac: I do like it though, what's the power output again?

true that, suppose at least my car will make it to the meet :p

130bhp from the factory, so probably a little less now. its not "that" quick, it just feels fast because it has the structural qualities of a damp paper bag.

dgt, its got 40mm unbranded springs in what i can only describe as burst, bottomed out shocks, looks and feels nasty :pac: and i've been searching for the original hub caps that came on glanzas but i cant seem to get a set, i'd totally use them if i could find them. i think they came on the last model carina too.

toyota-starlet-glanza-v-1-3-turbo-3615053-1.jpg

I know the feeling, been there done that :p

They're so close to Carina caps it's not right :eek: 14's too, I had several sets of those wheels here at one stage.... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

well not my car but got the phone call from my friend asking would i help changeing the diff in his serria we got stuck into that and had it out and the new one in in about 2 hours :P i wonder how fast would if of been done if we did not spend the time laughing and smokeing :L there were about 10 in the shed when we were done haha just as he was leaveing he told me that he would like to change the gear box some evening 2 :rolleyes: a well its the joy of haveing a nice big dry shed with a pit built in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Today I finally fitted a headlight bulb to Mrs Nissan Doctors car....Not a big deal you may think, especially for someone in my profession but...the car is a Toyota IQ, The bulb went, I took it out to find its a HIR2 bulb....never seen one in my life, rang suppliers in work, no one heard of them, researched online, found only one company in the world makes them - Philips, rang Philips bulb supplier from work, never sold them here so eventually had to go to Toyota and yes, they can get me one, in two days.

After all that, the other bulb goes straight after fitting the first new one:mad: €60 for 2 headlight bulbs in a week:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Today I finally fitted a headlight bulb to Mctors car....Not a big deal you may think, especially for someone in my profession but...the car is a Toyota IQ, The bulb went, I took it out to find its a HIR2 bulb....never seen one in my life, rang suppliers in work, no one heard of them, researched online, found only one company in the world makes them - Philips, rang Philips bulb supplier from work, never sold them here so eventually had to go to Toyota and yes, they can get me one, in two days.

After all that, the other bulb goes straight after fitting the first new one:mad: €60 for 2 headlight bulbs in a week:mad:

Could be worse. The headlight bulbs that were in my old Mondeo used to cost a 96 quid each for a Philips one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

So tonight the clutch pedal on my 03 Passat 110 TDi made a pop noise and went to the floor, is now floppy and not engaging. Got a mate tow home so it hasnt been looked at.

Thoughts? Cable? Mounting bracket?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

So tonight the clutch pedal on my 03 Passat 110 TDi made a pop noise and went to the floor, is now floppy and not engaging. Got a mate tow home so it hasnt been looked at.

Thoughts? Cable? Mounting bracket?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

and the man who owned the serria came back today :L
    into the pit again and droped out the gear box had a few bits and pices to change from the old box to the new but other than that it went smoothly enough :L arms are sore now from holding it up :rolleyes: after this week i think its times to invest in a box jack just to save myself a little :P all in all im happy for these men to ask me to do it cause its all experence for me in later years

Paid a visit to VW to get my radio code for the old radio. At least now its not a paperweight. Once im satisfied with the new RNS 510 ill pop the RCD 510 up for sale.

Just waiting on the GPS module. Stupid ebay shop estimated delivery for today at the latest, but havnt even marked it as dispatched. Contacted them twice with no reply. Quite annoyed. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Could be worse. The headlight bulbs that were in my old Mondeo used to cost a 96 quid each for a Philips one.
    Xenons??

Today. I'm at this

DSC_0237_zpsb81e853e.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

sean1141 wrote: »
    Xenons??

Today. I'm at this

Putting a vinyl depicting a shed roof on your motor? :pac:

Lights. Will do til I get HIDs

• Advertisement

I got bulbs too, waiting for dark to test them out :p

Got some nice stainless steel pipe for making tailpipe! :D

And I must finish the adapter later.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

dgt wrote: »
    I got bulbs too, waiting for dark to test them out :p

Got some nice stainless steel pipe for making tailpipe! :D

And I must finish the adapter later.....

One of these would be interesting on the 406..

403914_10150891865586853_1127662885_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ihavethepower

When you dont trust the VW design department, its time to take matters into your own hands... http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/5050886 Full-19992975.jpeg
    I think its a TDI

One of these would be interesting on the 406..

Going for somewhat sleeper not rat! Maybe on some other yoke around the haus.... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Back from mechanic yesterday.

240€ just gone. :eek:

- anti roll bar bushings and links,
    - 2 new tyres balanced,
    - headlights aligned.

In the meantime mechanic spotted one of rear shocks leaks badly, so went back home, took mcphersons off a donor car, back to garage and replacement done. :D

Free brake test on my way back home, thankfully passed. ;)

Car's ready for NCT. :cool:

• Advertisement

So.... I paid a visit to Cark on thursday... Found Ardennes' house!

1pjOWcw.jpg

We made short work of fitting the wiper linkages I picked up, at last the wipers actually stay on the windscreen :D

A while after and my car looked a little strange...
    TtP5vgA.jpg

Hmmm... what could we be doing

bUfHelX.jpg
    :D

Picked up the anthracite headlining, M-sport steering wheel and OEM dual-ciggy lighter for the centre console. Got home and found

6L1SKQB.jpg
    and 5L of Orchard autocare Citrus pre-clean waiting for me. Also have Bosch Aerotwin wipers, new Lemforder tie rods and rear wheel bearings on the way.

Also apart from destroying Ardennes' hub :pac: we also did some things with his car that got us very strange looks..... may be in the pics thread shortly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

A while after and my car looked a little strange...
    TtP5vgA.jpg

Move them diskholders while your at it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Fitted an LED strip inside the fog lights. While it was quite easy to get the passenger side fog lamp out the driver side was a pain to get to.

Also had to cut the strip in half as it wouldn't fit into the assembly.

Now have to wire them up properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Got down to the garage today and got the car on stands, leaving it sitting on €800 tyres isn't ideal :eek:

Wanted to check the AFR's at idle and throughout the rev range after the race weekend and now my engine is well and truly ran in, absolutely spot on, sitting at 14.0 at idle and richening up higher up the rev range. I have to say I'm absolutely delighted with my engine and I swear I will never have engine work done anywhere else in Ireland apart from DI Motorsport, to have an engine with such fine tolerances stand up to such abuse and not bat an eyelid. I expected it to use a little oil over the weekend (it hardly dropped under 5000rpm and redlined at 9200) but it used nothing.

Once I get the soft bit that connects the seat to the steering wheel sorted this car can be very competitive

All of you bollixes should come down to Mondello for the next round and wave the flag of GXR Racing, a team born from 4 blokes that met through the boards.ie motoring section!

Move them diskholders while your at it!

Nothing wrong with them :p They're in the least annoying place (for me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Nothing special, just my first time changing the air filter and spark plugs, much easier than expected, need to do the oil now. You can see the old plug beside the new, car is running well. The garage that done the service a year ago said they changed the plugs and the oil and charged me €200....not anymore:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

So yeah Challengedmaster found my house despite my best efforts.

Along with his headliner and wiper linkages, we put on new front discs and spark plugs on mine.

Then we washed the cars and got onto the real business.....

548317_574813782549319_392468890_n.jpg

401916_574813765882654_676984590_n.jpg

Cal is a genius with that 7d!
    Got some...pretty feckin sweet pics! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Theres no fanboi like an e46 fanboi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...]

Then we washed the cars and got onto the real business.....

[...]

Looked at the first photo and thought straight away, you're gone fishing. :D

joujoujou wrote: »
    Looked at the first photo and thought straight away, you're gone fishing. :D

In the second it looks like the rod is about to hit CM in the mouth :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement