Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭thats not gone well

Today I decided to hard wire in a phone charger, mainly because I use it as a GPS and it’s nice to have it fully charged on arrival.
    I got a 3m iPhone cable and a cigarette lighter adapter from lidl a while back that had usb slots.
    In order to run the wire from the glovebox to the drivers a pillar, I went through the lower dashboard.
    On the drivers side there are 4 screws, one to the left of the steering column, two to the right, and one low down under a panel.

img1169vq.jpg
    img1170qb.jpg

Slide it towards you first, then to the right to remove it from the centre console.
    You also need to be careful of the foot well light that needs disconnecting.
    Because I planned out the wire routing, I also removed the air vent and light control pannel.
    Two screws at the bottom, pull out at the bottom and then down.

img1165p.jpg
    img1163bm.jpg

On the back you’ll find the three bulbs that light the pannel, these often need replacing, a common fault on high hour Volvo S40/V40 s. Twist out using a flat head screwdriver. Replacement bulbs are dealer recomended becasuse of the odd fitment
    I had fixed these previously so no need this time.

img1164ng.jpg

Next onto the centre console,
    Removed the radio and heater control panel cover.(( anticipated having to remove the radio surround today but got lucky with skinny arms!) The 3 bulbs in the heater control panel often need replacing at the same time as the others, remove the 4 visible screws and the two more under the radio. The control panel can then be wiggled out. Again I had already done this.
    img1154aj.jpg

Onto the glove box, there’s a shelf in the glove box held on with two screws, remove them and unclip the shelf, revealing a nice hole for wires.

img1150ft.jpg

img1149ng.jpg

The easy part was actually feeding the wires through the dashboard and over.
    I fed the wires out thorough the a-pillar/dashboard panel gap.

img1157yye.jpg

Then as the famous manuals say, assembly is the reverse of disassembly.
    A handy little nugget for other Volvo S40/V40 owners is if you remove one of the blanks and see the below, your car is pre-wired for heated seats! Its also on my list of mods.
    img1161zh.jpg

img1160gn.jpg

I haven’t fully completed the job, need a multimeter to determine the positive of the adaptor so I can wire it to the fuse box with this;

img1177g.jpg

Thanks for reading :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

I cleaned mine :D And got horribly sunburned in the process

I'm on fire :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Don't clean in the sun !

Don't clean in the sun !

I didn't, I was in the shade, but I was sunburned anyways from being out earlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Don't clean in the sun !

You can clean in the soon, just don't wax or polish in the sun.

CianRyan wrote: »
    You can clean in the soon, just don't wax or polish in the sun.

Stupid question but why?

Stupid question but why?

Not sure really, I presume the stuff just kind of bakes onto the car.
    This is why we need the detailing forum... NOW! :pac:

Not sure really, I presume the stuff just kind of bakes onto the car.
    This is why we need the detailing forum... NOW! :pac:

Moar advices!! :pac:

I'll keep that in mind though

Cleaning in the sun more time for shampoo to dry into the paint/watermarks and all that bad kind of stuff.

Polishing and waxing is obvious you aint gonna get no proper hazing in direct sunlight.

Drying properly(good quality drying towel) and having the time to do it on a cool evening is the key to a spotless car

I do be staring at the car looking like a leopard with water spots during a fine day off muttering to myself "Just you wait until 8 o'clock boyo"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Cian, have you actually tried to wash a car in direct sunlight like the sun we've had the past few days?

First of all, the panels are roasting. The pre-rinse water will almost have dried off by the time you get to shampooing.

The shampoo will almost evaporate and we should all know that you can't let shampoo dry into the paint.

When you get to drying, the last few panels will already have dried before you get to them and will more than likely leave water marks.

• Advertisement

As for polishing im not so sure, hand polishing still kidna scares me as the paint always goes wonky and i panic and have to use a wet cloth to get it all off :p

(Saves for DA)

Not been shampooing, just rinsing and quick detailing.
    The front of my house is in shade from about 13:00 anyway so I have more time to do it than I don't.
    I usually go in sections with the hose and I've never found myself with a leopard print car! Good thing to keep in mind though, didn't know the shampoo would dry onto the car either.

Again, forum and stickies needed!
    As for polishing im not so sure, hand polishing still kidna scares me as the paint always goes wonky and i panic and have to use a wet cloth to get it all off :p

(Saves for DA)

Really? Comes off nice and clean for me. :)

Same as meself there, except I've no access to a hose :(

You probably don't live in a radioactive limescale crazy chernobyl hard water area like me then.

You probably don't live in a radioactive limescale crazy chernobyl hard water area like me then.

That's Galways for ya.
    Up in my cousin's on Cleggan we took samples of tap and rain water and looked at them under a microscope.
    Let's just say we were drinking filtered rain water after that. :pac:
    Same as meself there, except I've no access to a hose :(

Yikes! And I complain about not having a pressure washer...

Yikes! And I complain about not having a pressure washer...

Tis awful altogether :pac:

Bitta hot water in a bucket, does the job just the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Too much neg camber for big miles! Time to adjust :)

Before
    Image706.jpg

After
    Image707.jpg

Yeah yeah, my tyres are mismatched and one needs replacing....

IDTD getting it's head torqued down :) a right pig!
    Image708.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Replaced oil filter housing bushing today ( 11421432228). Took 3 hours, saved a good few finances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Since I had the front plate holder removed and the bumper smoothed, I needed something to hold a plate that didn't require the front bumper to be re-drilled. I sourced a kit from M-Fest in California, which after weeks of no response from their customer support and a PayPal dispute, they finally shipped last Friday and it arrived yesterday.

PMcGE90CustomPlateHolder-1_zps61366708.jpg

As it turns out, it was a piece of over engineered ****.

PMcGE90CustomPlateHolder-3_zps7e05606d.jpg

The tow hook adapter was temperamental and liable to pop the plate shaft out at any time. The shaft also stuck out a mile from the front bumper and the plate frame wouldn't secure to the shaft so it would just spin and / or fall off.

PMcGE90CustomPlateHolder-4_zps6b89d7c3.jpg

I visited a local engineering place with an idea yesterday afternoon. Using the car's original tow hook, he machined it into a shorter and more simpler version of the M-Fest version. Note the slats so it can be tightened with the supplied 10mm spanner in the BMW's tool box.

PMcGE90CustomPlateHolder-5_zpsc5c63723.jpg

We re-used the plate frame, but used countersunk bolts and changed the allen key bolt which secures the frame to the shaft.

PMcGE90CustomPlateHolder-7_zps0efb2a79.jpg

With the modified tow hook installed and tightened, it's a simple case of popping the frame onto the shaft, aligning it and tightening one bolt.

PMcGE90CustomPlateHolder-6_zpsbc370b7a.jpg

The number plate is attached to the frame with velcro. It sits dead tight to the front bumper but won't touch it at speed.

PMcGE90CustomPlateHolder-8_zps5e7951f9.jpg

I can remove it in about 30 seconds or so with just a 5mm allen key and a 10mm spanner. Really happy with it now :)

• Advertisement

One out
    Image711.jpg

Then the other
    Image709.jpg

You can see how it fell on me, it's a heavy f*cker, lucky I'm not damaged eh ;)

So I had a good sit, then went back out to this...
    Image712.jpg

Bit more....
    Image713.jpg

Time to heel it on it's side.... D-Tractor to the rescue! :pac:
    Image714.jpg

What's next? Hmmm....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I taught you were doing the quick out engine removal there:

^^^^^^^^^

I need the bay relatively intact for my application! :D I'll be doing that only with certain cars.....

*Looks through donedeal for cheap corsas :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Today I removed the ...VERKLEIDUNG DACH KANTE HINTEN in my A-Klasse! :pac:

Not as interesting as it sounds. It's the cover for the rear door (aka boot) services, which includes the power for the 3rd brake light, antennae booster for the radio, power for number plate light, vacuum line for the boot... and the rear window washer supply hose. Yes, in their infinite wisdom Mercedes included water services in the same small space as electrical services. I was taking the panel off today as some stupid little rubber piece decided to fail on the washer hose and leak when the washer was used. Just a few drops and no damage thankfully as I spotted it in the rear view mirror.

The panel was a right pain in the neck to get off... literally! Try sitting in a boot for almost an hour looking upwards! :rolleyes: To make matters more interesting, the panel in my car doesn't match that in the Haynes manual or aclassinfo.co.uk (a popular owners site).

Now to get the unobtainium rubber piece that's needed! Pics to come...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Today I've dropped the new (to me) A6 up to get the windows tinted as hot weather + hot car is not good for little passengers :( so picking that up this afternoon (pictures will follow)

In the interim my German-style plates have just arrived from Eireplates followed 10 mins later by the wind deflectors (good thing I'm working from home today) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Today I've dropped the new (to me) A6 up to get the windows tinted as hot weather + hot car is not good for little passengers :( so picking that up this afternoon (pictures will follow)

In the interim my German-style plates have just arrived from Eireplates followed 10 mins later by the wind deflectors (good thing I'm working from home today) :)

Are you trying to 'felt it up? :D

• Advertisement

tossy wrote: »
    Are you trying to 'felt it up? :D

:p Noo.. the tinting will be the minimum 35% version - just enough to keep the car cool. The little fella was not happy getting back into it last weekend until we copped that it was probably the heat (the Passat was tinted as well ya see).

The deflectors are just a very handy thing that I miss from the Passat so got a Heko set cheap enough on eBay

The German plates are standard Irish format just with the German lettering as I always thought they looked well on cars I've seen posted here :)

That's it though.. no mad body kits, Red TDI/RS6 badges etc :D

All I have planned today is staring out the windows at the sun and my car between trying to sell furniture.

Gotta be done if I want that remap+mongoose section 59 system will be worth it in July

• Moderators Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Booked the cars first NCT.... 3 months before its due.

The sooner its NCTd, the sooner ill tint the windows, the longer I wont have to take off the tint for its 2nd NCT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Flushed the power steering fluid and unstuck a caliper that had been giving me grief for a while.
    Still to do, ATF drain/fill and bleed the brakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Would love to do this,imagine the guy's reactions at the NCT centre:

awewsome_pictures_3.jpg

Instead I'll have to stick to cleaning the bird crap off my car,feckers have it destroyed over the past few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

vRS number 2 went for nct yesterday.
    Passed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Who did you go with in the end for the windows?

R.O.R wrote: »
    Who did you go with in the end for the windows?

It's currently with the lads in Autoflair that you suggested (thanks for that btw) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

It's currently with the lads in Autoflair that you suggested (thanks for that btw) :)

+1 they did my tints back in september and still perfect.

Engine out time! :cool:

Being as careful as always removing the engine to prevent damage to any vital parts or components :)

No pics but a video this time ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dh0011

dgt wrote: »
    Engine out time! :cool:

Being as careful as always removing the engine to prevent damage to any vital parts or components :)

No pics but a video this time ;)

boards now needs a like button

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

dgt - you've got WAAAAYYYYY too much time on your hands :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Got 2 bridgestones fitted to the front. Huge difference compared to the ****e tracmax that were on it.
    Understeer reduced.

Also got the twist out of the bottom of the seatbelt.

Tank off....
    Image715.jpg

16 litres of gogo juice! :D

Going to replace my pick up element in the 406, when you see why after seeing this.....
    Image716.jpg

Well that didn't quite go as planned....

- Windows tinted... check
    - German style plates fitted... check
    - Wind deflectors ready for install... check
    - Drive back, shuddering at idle, white smoke and power loss... :(

This is why we have warranty though I guess and to be fair, there's been absolutely no resistance to getting it sorted.

Problem is that being a Friday evening, she's going to be parked up till Monday waiting on diags and parts so I've been given a 2003 530D for the weekend.

No comparison.. I miss my A6 :( And honestly, I don't know why people rave about the BMWs - heavy steering, slow off the mark, interior looks like something from the early 90s - but it does look nice externally alright.

Oh well.. better it happened now than when the warranty was out right? Plus that Hailo taxi app is pretty cool! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Head gasket or new Pope!?! :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Ah that sucks Kaiser!! Hope they can get it sorted, thank god for warranties and it wasn't a private sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I got my car back from Nissan Doctor. It got new wishbones and they totally transform the driveability of the car. Muchas gracias :D

Put €20 of diesel into the "loaner" BMW and gave it a wash - you may think "sure why would you bother washing a loaner" but it was filthy and annoying me so had to be done, plus I'll probably have it till Tuesday+ anyway.

20130608_154634.jpg

20130608_154652.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Nice bus that! ;)

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Nice bus that! ;)

Yea yea!! :) Ah to be fair from those angles it looks well, but the interior is so "retro" :p And normally I LIKE retro.. but it's not as nice a place to sit as the A6 (or even the Passat) IMO

Still, could have been worse - could have been stuck with a Micra or something! :eek:

Oh and what's with the wipers being on the wrong side?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Today (well, yesterday) I did something to my car (actually, car did something to me).

257498.jpg

257497.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Yea yea!! :) Ah to be fair from those angles it looks well, but the interior is so "retro" :p And normally I LIKE retro.. but it's not as nice a place to sit as the A6 (or even the Passat) IMO

Still, could have been worse - could have been stuck with a Micra or something! :eek:

Ah I thought you had a E60 so I was a but surprised at your comments on the heavy steering wheel etc.

Yeah well in fairness you drive a car that was designed between about 1990-1995, yeah compared to newer cars she is retro, does not have as many gadgets as the newer ones.
    I like her roughness but a nice e39 with leather etc, is still a much better place to be than many brand new cars today where plastic is predominant, fabric seats and no radio buttons on the steering wheel.

At least newer cars are easier to work on, interior wise, everything is so cheap than taking trims out only takes minutes (From my car entertainment business point of view).

Proof :D

143889d1318031958-2003-bmw-m5-salvage-title-advice-chrisho4.jpg

3857412919_06427c5898.jpg

03ercarbonschwarz_ledercaramel_leis.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Testing the new under seats subwoofers...Very nice flexibility as they are low profile (I hate big square sub boxes), they don't actually fit underneath the front seats of my 5 series, but they can be mounted in the trunk with minimum space use, or even on the passenger footwell and be removed easily when required.
    Very powerful bass nonetheless given the shallow format. The device weights over 10kg.

They come with clamps for secure mounting. Loving this thing...Brand new to the market, even though some companies like Blaupunkt made something like this sometime ago I think.

90.JPG
    91.JPG
    92.JPG

93.JPG

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement