Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

bmstuff wrote: »
    Ah I thought you had a E60 so I was a but surprised at your comments on the heavy steering wheel etc.

Yeah well in fairness you drive a car that was designed between about 1990-1995, yeah compared to newer cars she is retro, does not have as many gadgets as the newer ones.
    I like her roughness but a nice e39 with leather etc, is still a much better place to be than many brand new cars today where plastic is predominant, fabric seats and no radio buttons on the steering wheel.

At least newer cars are easier to work on, interior wise, everything is so cheap than taking trims out only takes minutes (From my car entertainment business point of view).

Proof :D

Yea ok.. the one I have doesn't look as nice as that inside - if I had to choose I'd probably go with the first trim only because the second is a bit TOO dark :)

I know to be fair I'm comparing an older model to a competitor's newer one, but even still, I am a bit let down by how basic a 3L E39 5 series is (which back then would have presumably been a premium product as opposed to the rather more common 520D E60).

I mean I genuinely think my 02 Passat was a nicer place to sit than this, never mind my subsequent 06 version I just changed.

I know BMWs are loved here and to be fair the E39 has a timeless look insofar as the bodywork goes (just had a guy admiring it when I was at the shops and asking if it was for sale!), but I just find it very badly specced and laid out (central locking on the centre console, main light switch on the right of the wheel, fogs on the left, limited storage, LHD wipers etc) for what was at the time a higher end motor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I mean I genuinely think my 02 Passat was a nicer place to sit than this

LOL! :D

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    LOL! :D

It was definitely more logically laid out that's for sure AND it had the correct wipers! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Not exactly today, but whatever... :D

ltnrdbl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

bmstuff wrote: »
    Testing the new under seats subwoofers...Very nice flexibility as they are low profile (I hate big square sub boxes), they don't actually fit underneath the front seats of my 5 series, but they can be mounted in the trunk with minimum space use, or even on the passenger footwell and be removed easily when required.
    Very powerful bass nonetheless given the shallow format. The device weights over 10kg.

They come with clamps for secure mounting. Loving this thing...Brand new to the market, even though some companies like Blaupunkt made something like this sometime ago I think.

[...]

I want one! :D

Where? How much? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

GvidoR wrote: »
    Not exactly today, but whatever... :D

ltnrdbl.jpg

Skoda?

Skoda?

Nope.

Volkswagen Bora.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Conchurl

blanked off the egr in my 406 last week only had to open 5 nuts to do it but one nut took over 1.5 hours but i got their in the end a 30 min job took me over 2 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Conchurl wrote: »
    blanked off the egr in my 406 last week only had to open 5 nuts to do it but one nut took over 1.5 hours but i got their in the end a 30 min job took me over 2 hours.

I'm going to guess HDi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Conchurl

dgt wrote: »
    I'm going to guess HDi?

ya 2.0 hdi 110. i also washed it on thursday for the first time since the start on january. the egr was broken blanking plates off ebay for less than 10 euro or new erg for 120-150 euro so it was an easy choice for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Gavel the calipers a freshen up...

Before:

IMAG0508.jpg

After:

IMAG0509_1.jpg

IMAG0513.jpg

Looks great. Hopefully they're not just plastic covers. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Decided to improve a couple of scrapes and paint marks on the Landcruiser today. There's plenty of scratches and stone chips, most are tiny, but two big scratches on the front bumper were annoying me lately. I put the passenger side one on it, the other one was there when i bought it. Also resprayed the spare wheel cover as it was faded.

Wheel cover:
    F74D1AD9-B383-42A8-A9E6-79B9C32B4ED0-16564-00000CAD45B4F5D2_zpsf500d813.jpg

29791227-2363-4DD1-AC21-73C530A8B466-16564-00000CAD38975947_zps22b9d7f9.jpg

2BB98DAF-114B-45DE-94E2-C77B34E9E4B0-16564-00000CAD2CBF46B2_zpsa565f9b1.jpg

Scratches:

D4B6C06B-3890-4029-8799-15377BEB24AF-16564-00000CAD5C1D1E7B_zps649e4083.jpg

857B9FB3-7BD4-4D4B-B3DA-60365F7DA49A-16564-00000CAD0356F6BC_zps36deefd1.jpg

9484B774-063F-43B0-9C01-814FFD10EF8C-16564-00000CACF3C35A95_zpse6e67668.jpg

541BCCFD-C8F4-4464-A39C-CF46A18EAD1A-16564-00000CAD503C07AC_zpsb25476b5.jpg

6C041350-524F-43A1-A7C0-136487586CE8-16564-00000CACD5F180B1_zps56d8cf4e.jpg

This is rough enough work by any standards!! but its better than it was. I don't have the time to set up the air gun and all the rest or to spend hours sanding. Plus I already had the aerosol primer and lacquer. Total cost €12 for a can of Toyota Lucerne silver

GvidoR wrote: »
    Looks great. Hopefully they're not just plastic covers. :D

of course not :D. 323mm disks and 4-pot brakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Killinator

Wisesmurf wrote: »
    Gavel the calipers a freshen up...

Before:

IMAG0508.jpg

After:'

IMAG0509_1.jpg

IMAG0513.jpg

What did you use to clean them?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Spent the guts of nearly 5 hours on Saturday trying to remove a radiator. It had been leaking and I didnt know whether it was from the radiator itself, or a dodgy hose. Eventually got it out, and turns out the clip had been put on too tight, and basically sheered the end of the hose. The bolt was also sheered onto the clip, so a little hacksaw cut through the pipe at the very end of the radiator. Still room left on it, and managed to re-attach it. Working perfectly now :)

Killinator wrote: »
    What did you use to clean them?

Em, De-greaser, sandpaper, paint, decals and lacquer.

Was really hesitant doing them but really happy how they came out. Prep is the key along with lots of thin coats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I noticed a 'musty' smell from the Air Con lately. After a bit of Googeling my options were AirCon Bomb or replace the pollen filter.

Popped down to the Motor Factors at lunch to get a pollen filter. €9 online or €10 bricks and mortar so just picked it up

Very very easy to fit, no screws, just popped down the glovebox and slid the tray out. Left the air con on for 10mins and smell is completely gone

Will get the AirCon Bomb from Micksgarage and set it off too, just to kill the last of the bacteria!

Horrible old filter.. a LOT of dead flys :(

992949_10151407282521436_1110949131_n.jpg

The tray behind the glove box

946426_10151407282471436_1713231734_n.jpg

And the shiny new filter :D

999385_10151407282486436_929372549_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Spent the morning at my folks house giving the Civic a wash, wax, and trim restore. Looks great apart from the huge stone chips on the bonnet up close :-(

front.jpg
    reflection.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Procrastinating.... Again :pac:

Robbed the mothers car
    Image723.jpg

Cleaned, de-tarred and clayed. It needed it....
    Image724.jpg

And went ape with the polisher :)
    Image725.jpg

Image726.jpg

Image727.jpg

I can't get those other marks out, would require a touch up. Am happy with the result though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I don't believe it!! You actually sprung for Gtechniq polish :eek: :pac:

Lovely job though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Put it on some lowering springs, banded steelies and fit a straight pipe on it. She'll love you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

dgt wrote: »
    Procrastinating.... Again :pac:

Robbed the mothers car
    Image723.jpg

Cleaned, de-tarred and clayed. It needed it....

And went ape with the polisher :)

I can't get those other marks out, would require a touch up. Am happy with the result though :)

This is hilarious.... Gtechniq and everything! Who'd have thought it would happen! Someone's addicted to beading! :D

• Moderators Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

It's arrived!

5PtvAx1OnhucNWd8iePKGGmn5kn3FsQ5QJc8ptjK-JU=w366-h207-p-no

Time to wrap the dash plastics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Fleshlight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Today being the day after a lot sunday pints, I was up early to get the nct fails sorted on the Xantia,

First on the list was to fit the new steering rack boot, I guess the old one had no more left to give :D

null-1.jpg?t=1370884741

Then onto the flexi brake lines, the feckin nuts holding the receiving end of the flexi to the bracket was slightly rounded to begin with, and one swing of my 11mm spanner completed the job :mad: so ive spent the guts of the day trying to get it off :o going back out after the dinner :rolleyes:

null-2.jpg?t=1370884867

As she stands:

null.jpg?t=1370884525

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

And we're done.

Good ole faithful brother brought out his crane arms and got her open. All bled now and lhm topped up. Now, to get her tested and sold by next Sunday :pac:

Not 100% happy though. I only blame myself. No hair dryer makes it alot tougher. Ended up using a lighter to heat and manipulate the wrap around awkward corners.
    IMAG0362.jpg
    IMAG0363.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

That's none too shabby. Marked inprovement on the standard interior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Personally i wouldn't have the done the hazard light switch and to pieces each side - it's a little too much unbroken CF,the gear gator surround would look well also.. Are you doing the door sections to match?

A heat gun is really the only thing for heating this,A hair dryer is no good it heats it too slowly.

Not 100% happy though. I only blame myself. No hair dryer makes it alot tougher. Ended up using a lighter to heat and manipulate the wrap around awkward corners.

That looks well from what I can see :)

Half-thinking of doing something similar to the A6 at some stage as some of the trim is a bit scratched from the previous owner. Don't know if I'd trust myself to do it properly though and I've no hairdryer/heat gun either! :p

I was looking at doing all the centre console/gear surround in CF, but I seen someone had done it on their CC on a diff forum, and it just looked too much, too dull a colour all round.
    The section I did was the only section that I never really liked, so for now, im happy. Ill give it a few weeks to sink in and go from there. Ya never know, I could end up ripping it all off and putting in some black gloss or something.

tossy wrote: »
    Personally i wouldn't have the done the hazard light switch and to pieces each side - it's a little too much unbroken CF

Don't know.. if he'd left it as standard I think it would really have stood out - and not in a good way. Reckon he made the right choice myself.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Don't know.. if he'd left it as standard I think it would really have stood out - and not in a good way. Reckon he made the right choice myself.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSO4uAQkM9eR2Ar67gnoLKpR95701l5ahQQ31Z5m7a2YxNUjEPt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSO4uAQkM9eR2Ar67gnoLKpR95701l5ahQQ31Z5m7a2YxNUjEPt

Seen heat guns in lidl yesterday for 12/13 euro

• Advertisement

Christ. Lidl and Aldi, always have exactly what you want just when you need it!

DELIVERY!!
    Just had 2 of these delivered to work.

IMAG0365.jpg

IMAG0366.jpg

Filthy, but that'll wash off. Shrink wrap is still protecting the chrome bits. Got them from a breakers up north.

Out with the old and in with the new. Door sills installed. Not too tough a job, about an hours work but a big improvement.
    Before:
    IMAG0368.jpg

After:
    IMAG0370.jpg

Drivers side has quite a bit of scuffing going on. I can only guess the breakers car was a garage demo that someone wrecked.
    IMAG0373.jpg

No idea what to do with the old ones. Ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

What wrap is that (have a link to it)? Looks well

You did a great job from what i can see

What wrap is that (have a link to it)? Looks well

You did a great job from what i can see

Its the images I didnt post that are the problem. Its lifting in some edges/corners where I should of used a heat gun. And I made a slight cut where I shouldnt have in the instrument cluster.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/251146010288?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Thanks dude will keep an eye out in Galway for your car

• Advertisement

Thanks dude will keep an eye out in Galway for your car

Woops. Must update that. Moved to Dublin 2 years ago now. In Galway the odd time though, its hard to say good-bye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Did cylinder pressure test on my old toyota avensis, 1.8 petrol, 7A-FE . , in result, got nearly exact pressure in all cylinders, was using cheap pressure tester bought from ebay.

I pulled out all sparkplugs, disconnect both coilpacks, and disconnect petrol pump wiring under rear seat.

Results was nearly 14.5 bars.

Anyone have idea, is that ok ?

Unregistered Users

Mar4ix wrote: »
    [...]
    Results was nearly 14.5 bars.

Anyone have idea, is that ok ?

It's very good actually. Minimum for 7A-FE is 142 PSI (9.8 bar) with no more than 1 bar difference between cylinders. :)

joujoujou wrote: »
    It's very good actually. Minimum for 7A-FE is 142 PSI (9.8 bar) with no more than 1 bar difference between cylinders. :)

Thanks, i cant find info about pressures, any idea, what is suppose to be ?

i have suspicions, that catalytic converter is blocked ... bad mpg (10-12 l/100 km too bad for lean burn engine) , poor acceleration. decided check easier things first , i have timing belt with water pump replacement planned, and clutch. probably easier will be pull engine out, and inspect cat.

edit:
    barely passed NCT emissions on high revs.
    usually, when start car, exhaust fumes smell inside, and when accelerating it is kind jerking , also jerking when maintain constant speed.
    Connected to techstream toyotas diagnostics, no any faults.

Unregistered Users

You don't have to pull an engine out to check cat - remove exhaust. And take a look at lambda as well. :)

joujoujou wrote: »
    You don't have to pull an engine out to check cat - remove exhaust. And take a look at lambda as well. :)

I was thinking, pull engine out for replacing timing belt and clutch in same time, shall be easier, as on drive way , it is pain in @rs get that gearbox on .
    Dont know, what is best way.

Unregistered Users

Won't be easy anyway. :(

that little problems was since i got car, and i replaced lambda, got Denso one, cost odd 170 GBP , original ones been manufactured by Denso also , as written on them - Denso for Toyota ...
    problems still persist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Mar4ix wrote: »
    that little problems was since i got car, and i replaced lambda, got Denso one, cost odd 170 GBP , original ones been manufactured by Denso also , as written on them - Denso for Toyota ...
    problems still persist.

Failed emmisions on Lambda too high? Hole in the exhaust can cause it. You mentioned fumes in the cab too.

Failed emmisions on Lambda too high? Hole in the exhaust can cause it. You mentioned fumes in the cab too.

emissions was near to fail on 2800 rpms , lambda is fine. fumes could be failing exhaust manifold gasket, due too high pressure over blocked exhaust / catalytic converter, also engine bay pretty much covered by carbon, unusual too much for petrol engine.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement