Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Top Dog wrote: »
    Want a set of 16" steels? I'm sure I could convince my dad that 18's would look well on his Octy .... then again, probably not. He didn't even notice that I'd gone from 17's to 20's :rolleyes:

Curious though - what profile are the tyres? Used to have 18's on the Laguna with 45 series tyres, and didn't find them much different to the factory 17's over 15k miles (apart from the 18's being stronger and not buckling every other month)

Same width, would go from a 40 to 45 profile. 16s won't work with the brakes I'm currently bidding on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

EPM wrote: »
    Same width, would go from a 40 to 45 profile. 16s won't work with the brakes I'm currently bidding on...

Why are you going bigger brakes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Oooohhh big brakes - loverly :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Leon Cupra R brakes?

Brakes1.jpg

Gary ITR wrote: »
    Why are you going bigger brakes?

Watch this space;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Hmmm. I saw some lovely big brakes for sale today :P

vectra wrote: »
    Hmmm. I saw some lovely big brakes for sale today :P

You might know the advert...

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Great job! It looks like electroplating.

Did you use primer and lacquer too or just paint?

God no! Just plastered on a load of hammerite :p I dont think other paint would last as well, hammerite goes on well on that rough metal too. Will get better pics in the daylight next weekend. Just waiting on my smoked indicators and angel eyes now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

dgt wrote: »
    Leon Cupra R brakes?

Brakes1.jpg

They look like people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

CianRyan wrote: »
    They look like people.

I really shouldn't:

wigflipsaywhat.jpg

CianRyan wrote: »
    They look like people.

Overactive imagination :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

conzymaher wrote: »
    God no! Just plastered on a load of hammerite :p I dont think other paint would last as well, hammerite goes on well on that rough metal too. Will get better pics in the daylight next weekend. Just waiting on my smoked indicators and angel eyes now :)

Did you apply it straight onto the rust? Which hammerite was it exactly?

I painted the calipers on my RX8 with e-tech brake caliper paint. I applied (I think) 4 coats and after a while it started chipping :(

I really need to do them on the 6 because every time the wheels are lovely and shiny all I can see is rusty fooken calipers :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

I painted the calipers on my RX8 with e-tech brake caliper paint. I applied (I think) 4 coats and after a while it started chipping :(

I really need to do them on the 6 because every time the wheels are lovely and shiny all I can see is rusty fooken calipers :mad:

This is what ye want MM

abgplk.jpg

:D Oh and yes I know the brake disc looks rusty!

Red looks well on that Alfa but I wouldn't use red on mine. I want it to be as stock looking as possible.

Painting the calipers red would go against the sleeper effect ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Red looks well on that Alfa but I wouldn't use red on mine. I want it to be as stock looking as possible.

I think you misunderstood sleeper effect. It's not that you end up falling asleep because of the car like :p;)

• Advertisement

True as above wouldn't anyone guessin she's a rattly 4 Cylinder daysul under the bonnet...Oh wait.. :pac:

Black/Blue would look well on your MPS..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

If you could get the same sort of colour as the paint already on the car with the fleck in it, it'd be perfect IMO....

Wiped off any crap that was on them and then wire brushed each one for about 15 minutes, a single coat covered everything then as its quite thick. Im not sure which hammerite it was I wont be able to check until the weekend now but im nearly sure it was this one

166man wrote: »
    True as above wouldn't anyone guessin she's a rattly 4 Cylinder daysul under the bonnet...Oh wait.. :pac:

Black/Blue would look well on your MPS..

I think I may go with the same colour conzy used. I like the electroplating effect :D
    If you could get the same sort of colour as the paint already on the car with the fleck in it, it'd be perfect IMO....

I don't think metallic paint can be brushed on, think it has to be sprayed. Spraying calipers is a complete nightmare!
    Wiped off any crap that was on them and then wire brushed each one for about 15 minutes, a single coat covered everything then as its quite thick. Im not sure which hammerite it was I wont be able to check until the weekend now but im nearly sure it was this one

Cheers! When it comes to a job like this, the end results mainly depend on the prep work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

I'm thinking I might do my calipers red... I'm still undecided though.

Black might be ok looking, but red might go best against the blue/silver...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

I keep meaning to paint my calipers and drums so it s good to see the previous posts. Also some have been busy lately!

All I did on sat was clean mine and the missus' car and, also, in the Micra, the fan had stopped working on speeds 1 to 3 so sussed it was the resistor. Nissan wanted €65 plus vat for a new one. Got one in a breakers for €18 and changed it and its working fine now.

Oh and woke up this morning to a puncture on the back wheel. Can't remember the last time I got a puncture. Mabey 5 or 6 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

dar83 wrote: »

It depends on how much you want them to stand out. I've a silver car, and planning on a black and silver theme......front and rear optional Honda splitters are mainly black, will get the rear 3 windows tinted aswell, black wheels nuts......so i'm going to do my calipers black. But red calipers in general would suit silver/blue cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Personally I think red would look well on your ST.

Need to repaint mine at some stage too, just have to try find the time :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I keep meaning to paint my calipers and drums so it s good to see the previous posts. Also some have been busy lately!

All I did on sat was clean mine and the missus' car and, also, in the Micra, the fan had stopped working on speeds 1 to 3 so sussed it was the resistor. Nissan wanted €65 plus vat for a new one. Got one in a breakers for €18 and changed it and its working fine now.

Oh and woke up this morning to a puncture on the back wheel. Can't remember the last time I got a puncture. Mabey 5 or 6 years ago.
    BDJW wrote: »
    It depends on how much you want them to stand out. I've a silver car, and planning on a black and silver theme......front and rear optional Honda splitters are mainly black, will get the rear 3 windows tinted aswell, black wheels nuts......so i'm going to do my calipers black. But red calipers in general would suit silver/blue cars
    Jemmy wrote: »
    Personally I think red would look well on your ST.

Need to repaint mine at some stage too, just have to try find the time :(

I've black ones on the front and red on the rear,that's how awesome I am. :pac:

No one ever notices though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

I've black ones on the front and red on the rear,that's how awesome I am. :pac:

No one ever notices though.

LOL I actually noticed that on Saturday meant to say it to you! Get bored after painting two!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Jemmy wrote: »
    LOL I actually noticed that on Saturday meant to say it to you! Get bored after painting two!?

The previous owner replaced the rears ,didnt bother refurbing them and didn't bother to paint them.I'll be tackling it when the weather gets a bit better hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Yeah I think Red may be the way to go alright, good call.

I actually have the paint already from when I had the notion for my MkIV Golf, so I just need to get the motivation now. :P

Yeah I think Red may be the way to go alright, good call.

I actually have the paint already from when I had the notion for my MkIV Golf, so I just need to get the motivation now. :P

I definitely prefer red anyway. Although properly done black with nice decals can be good. Depends on how big the space between spokes. If there's a lot you can go plainer but with better detail, small space a brighter colour works best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

MR2 is being delivered to my mechanic to get new calipers, discs, and pads fitted. Rear wheel bearings & balljoints as well, and alternator belt & alternator itself to be reconditioned.

Also ordered a new front bumper, side skirts and rear bumper, so they should arrive this week.

I definitely prefer red anyway. Although properly done black with nice decals can be good. Depends on how big the space between spokes. If there's a lot you can go plainer but with better detail, small space a brighter colour works best.

Your calipers are red from the factory aren't they?

• Advertisement

Your calipers are red from the factory aren't they?

Yep, but had the last cars ones done in red for a while too. The early Mark 2's are green.

ottostreet wrote: »
    MR2 is being delivered to my mechanic to get new calipers, discs, and pads fitted. Rear wheel bearings & balljoints as well, and alternator belt & alternator itself to be reconditioned.

Also ordered a new front bumper, side skirts and rear bumper, so they should arrive this week.

Nice:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

spark plugs arrived today, if my spring clamps come before friday ill have the eibachs fitted for the cork meet

Yep, but had the last cars ones done in red for a while too. The early Mark 2's are green.

If that's the case then red calipers on dar's ST would look great too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Got the GTI serviced 2 weeks back and it's amazing how nicer it feels with new oil, sparks and filters. Just booked the NCT for Friday of next week so will be ordering 4 new tyres before then. On top of renewing the insurance two weeks back too, January is one bloody expensive month for me on the motoring front.

boing boing

eibach%20pro-kit%20springs%20e92%20m3.jpg

pro kit :cool:

boing boing

Did you get them already?! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I was going to change my brake fluid and clean up my engine bay but it's cold and damp after the rain here. I did pay my tax for the year though €478 (1596cc). That's all I'll be doing today.

• Advertisement

€478 for a 1.6 is just criminal. i know the rates but when i actually hear someone having had to pay it makes me infinitely angry. madness

€478 for a 1.6 is just criminal. i know the rates but when i actually hear someone having had to pay it makes me infinitely angry. madness

Especially when you see what's being paid over in the UK... :mad:

Precisely

166man wrote: »
    Especially when you see what's being paid over in the UK... :mad:

And when your car is .7 more And you were told there will be a 5% increase and it turns out to be €20 more than a 5% increase :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Hopefully they will leave the rates alone now for a few years. I doubt they will though.

Did you get them already?! :eek:

Nah I just ordered them from the UK, should be here for the weekend.. It was either order the springs or you and EPM go on a strict diet :D

• Advertisement

Nah I just ordered them from the UK, should be here for the weekend.. It was either order the springs or you and EPM go on a strict diet :D

Hmmm wouldn't make sense since I was in the front all the time :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

The early Mark 2's are green.

Was that just the petrol ones? red for the diesels?

vectra wrote: »
    Was that just the petrol ones? red for the diesels?

I think you're correct there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

Installed my dension gateway 5..and nothing happened :(

Even after the trouble of getting it coded for it too.

useless piece of crap, very disappointed!

damo86 wrote: »
    Installed my dension gateway 5..and nothing happened :(

Even after the trouble of getting it coded for it too.

useless piece of crap, very disappointed!

OEM ftw!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement