Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

RoverJames wrote: »
    ..the actual seats are different :)
    Gary ITR wrote: »
    The new ones are Recaros :)

Ah yes, didn't spot the seat bottom differences. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

I'm not bein an arse, really not, but whats new? Is the old leather green and the new is black?
    I knew someone would ask what the differance was:D:p
    It always looks green in pictures for some reason.
    ..the actual seats are different :)
    The new ones are Recaros :)

Just me being a fussy sod. I never liked the rear bench from the S3 so when these poped up I decided to go for them. Costing me very little to change so why not!
    Ah yes, didn't spot the seat bottom differences. :)

Yes there are a little more buckety (if thats a word) than the others. They also have 3 rear headrests and the center belt is a 3 point instead of the lap belt that was on the others..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Sorted my arch in a previous post so it needed testing. No rubbing, perfect :)
    Image1883.jpg

New commercial tyres fitted too :)
    Image1884.jpg

It needs a bit of work still before it can go back on the road, next on the to do list is that awful back bumper, change the bean can exhaust and sort out that shítty panel job. There are some awful orangutans allowed to work on cars out there :mad:

.... is that the Bravo you rebuilt from scratch?

.... is that the Bravo you rebuilt from scratch?

One of them but this is the one I do harp on about. There were a few bits left to do and sorting the back was one of them. Bit difficult to get at that part of the car with the dozer... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

423779_10151312387685176_805400175_23229760_1285752247_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

^

Teasing ba$tard!

Graphite grey or something along those lines?

Hope you're happy with it!

To be very honest, i don't actually know what colour it is. i gave him grey paint, but it looks very brownie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

@LM is that Dolphin Grey colour? Looks great regardless!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Looks nearly like my old MkIV Golf colour in that photo...

That was Metallic Blue Anthracite...

img0563uo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Today I cursed my car. It cut out on the bridge entering Malahide village and refused to restart. Two very kind gentlemen pushed me over the brow of the bridge and I coasted into the train station. Pulled off the timing cover, all fine, it had water, oil and the battery was ok. Waited ten minutes, tried again and it fired up. It's beem popping out of third gear for the last few days, meaning a new box, and it needs a new clutch, never mind a new timing belt. Economic writeoff. So it's back to my trusty Corsa for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I made a balls of washing mine... Washed it in a rush before the meet, I'll wash and polish it tomorrow

I made a balls of washing mine... Washed it in a rush before the meet, I'll wash and polish it tomorrow

I washed and waxed mine in the pitch dark on Friday evening because I knew I'd be spending all day yesterday and from 7:30 this morning working on CM's car!

Confab wrote: »
    Today I cursed my car. It cut out on the bridge entering Malahide village and refused to restart. Two very kind gentlemen pushed me over the brow of the bridge and I coasted into the train station. Pulled off the timing cover, all fine, it had water, oil and the battery was ok. Waited ten minutes, tried again and it fired up. It's beem popping out of third gear for the last few days, meaning a new box, and it needs a new clutch, never mind a new timing belt. Economic writeoff. So it's back to my trusty Corsa for a while.

............. sure if it was driving today the clutch can't be too bad..... cut down on using 3rd .......... are you seriously going back to the Corsa?

............. sure if it was driving today the clutch can't be too bad..... cut down on using 3rd .......... are you seriously going back to the Corsa?

Nah the clutch isn't slipping but if the box has to come out changing the clutch would make sense as it's biting high. I'll go back to the Corsa if it gets much worse. Apparently the 3rd gear problem is a worn synchro.

• Advertisement

I'd keep driving her tbh, unless it pops out of 3rd very frequently.

424599_10151312752155176_805400175_23231286_868056793_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

tis gonna be difficult to get into the drivers seat

tis gonna be difficult to get into the drivers seat

Ways and means ;)

I'd keep driving her tbh, unless it pops out of 3rd very frequently.

Even second attempt. I can hold it in gear though. We'll see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Nothing too exciting I'm afraid, snapped my engine bonnet clip another 2 weeks ago...held with a cable tie since

img0326large.jpg

Off to Mr.T ...grabbed 2 clips to have one on reserve...€2.07 each

img0325large.jpg

They've changed the design..looks a bit more sturdy then the old one I had..not too worry I'm in the process of making up a converting it to a gas strut bonnet.

img0327large.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I bought a cradle for my new LG phone which has an 8 gig memory card full of music and is connected to the car stereo via the AUX input.
    I keep meaning to take a picture of the whole setup, but I use my phone to take pictures and it can't take pictures of itself unless I get it to travel faster than the speed of light and the last time I did that it collapsed into a singularity.
    Damn you Einstein!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Bought a new battery today. I was living dangerously for the last week, and it left me stranded today so it's done now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Parrot CK3000 Evolution
    33o1tua.jpg

e67toh.jpg

104ngrc.jpg

Steel floor modified, horn mount fixed, bumper fixed, fart cannon replaced with 2 straight pipes, raised up back to normal at the back...

Now I have to deal with a fuelling issue. I'm getting sick of this :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

New front wishbone bushes (Meyle HD ones) were shipped earlier :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

Last weekend
    Ripped out the dash.
    Ripped out the heater core.
    Ripped out the carpet.
    Solder lots of wiring and fabric tape to make it look like the original loom.
    Put the carpet back in
    Put in new dual climate heater core.
    Wired remote central locking.

More like a day and a half.

And weekend before that I re-dyed my leather interior.

And hopefully this weekend make up a new loom for the harmen kardon sound system. Hopefully the carpet wont have to come back out. Should get away with bending it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Went to the shops this morning with the missus.When I returned home I opened the Boot to take out the groceries and in the glare of the sun I noticed a few swirl marks on the boot door :eek:

So,
    Quick Lunch,,

Out to give the car a Good wash down
    Detailer.gif
    and dry the car..

Then out with the buffer.gif
    for 2 hours..
    Looking better now.
    Tomorrow weather ( And Back :( ) permitting it will get a wash down..Dry.. Wipe down with IPA and a coat or two of Wolfs Body wrap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Detailing forum FTW :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Ehhhh, changed a headlight bulb in the focus. Not as heroic as some of the jobs mentioned here, but I took it as a win.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I just scrape the cowsh*te off every other month...:D

OK something has to be said here. When if we do get a detailing forum, those icons vectra has in his post HAVE to be included. Otherwise there's no point :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

vectra wrote: »
    Went to the shops this morning with the missus.When I returned home I opened the Boot to take out the groceries and in the glare of the sun I noticed a few swirl marks on the boot door :eek:

So,
    Quick Lunch,,

Out to give the car a Good wash down
    Detailer.gif
    and dry the car..

Then out with the buffer.gif
    for 2 hours..
    Looking better now.
    Tomorrow weather ( And Back :( ) permitting it will get a wash down..Dry.. Wipe down with IPA and a coat or two of Wolfs Body wrap.

From now on, you're only allowed make posts described in smilies.

From now on, you're only allowed make posts described in smilies.

LOL thumb.gif

driver.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

vectra wrote: »
    LOL thumb.gif

driver.gif

Just because detailing world has them doesn't mean any potential detailing (sub) forum here will:p

EPM wrote: »
    Just because detailing world has them doesn't mean any potential detailing (sub) forum here will:p

Now now grumpy.. behave.. we are only having a bit of fun :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

Awwwwww please Dadddddddddddddddddd

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Just because detailing world has them doesn't mean any potential the detailing (sub) forum here will:p

FYP. Jaysus you are the pessimistic aul fella aren't ya! We WILL have a detailing forum goddammit :)

FYP. Jaysus you are the pessimistic aul fella aren't ya! We WILL have a detailing forum goddammit :)

He's pessemistic because he's owned a vRS for a few years. Wait until he gets settled into the Mazda, we'll have all those icons and more exclusive to boards ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I hope ye do get it lads! It deserves a sub forum in here. It's the separate hosted forum I had an issue with as it makes more sense being within motors!

Wobblebottom somewhat sorted :)
    Image1888.jpg

As for the fart cannon...
    Image1889.jpg

Much raspier :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Did it yesterday but I washed and cleaned the car, then put it up for sale :(
    03 Golf 1.6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

dgt wrote: »
    Wobblebottom somewhat sorted :)
    Image1888.jpg

As for the fart cannon...
    Image1889.jpg

Much raspier :cool:

Those Alfa handles?

Didn't get my sound system :(
    So fitted my MFSW instead today.

And tomorrow I will fix my cruise control/radio to work with it :D Then I'll order the dice mediabridge for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

JerCotter7 wrote: »
    Didn't get my sound system :(
    So fitted my MFSW instead today.

And tomorrow I will fix my cruise control/radio to work with it :D Then I'll order the dice mediabridge for it.

Is it a big job changing the steering wheel??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Today I got a 2005 car with less then 60k on it for €100:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Today I got a 2005 car with less then 60k on it for €100:D
    do tell

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Is it a big job changing the steering wheel??

Meant to quote first :S Not really Just 2 T27 bolts to release the airbag(different on some cars). Then 1 17 bolt to completely release the steering wheel.

And then bolt on the new one :)

Pity it's not that simple if you want MFSW though. I need to run 2 extra wires into the connector then change the clockspring because E36's never came with a MFSW so I need it from an E39.

But to just change it, it's fairly simple. Just don't turn the ignition with the steering wheel off or the airbag light will come on.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Those Alfa handles?

You sir have some pair of eyes ;)

They are indeed from an Alfa 147, shoehorned to fit :)

The Alfa stuff doesn't stop there mind you...

I also have a 146 rear disc setup (with copper lines and a very stiff arb)
    Image04311.jpg

146 Handbrake
    Image1112.jpg

146 skirts to fit someday (maybe you spotted the wings too? :D)
    Image1088.jpg

156 seats
    Image0546.jpg

156 pedal covers
    Image1094.jpg

And a 156 wheel
    Image1104.jpg

Why? Because I can :cool:

Expect to see some bits of a 166 in there someday (not my one obviously!) :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

do tell

Chevrolet Nubira towed in with broken timing belt....customer was given the car by an elderly relative and didn't want to spend the money to repair the damage and decided to scrap it......I saved it from being scrapped:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement