Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

Another 3 hours and have the whole back of the car, rear wings and c-pillars done on a 2-step process.

This is tiring work, and only 1/4 of the way there.

Wow! Bet it's worth it even if it is tiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Top Dog wrote: »
    :p

Yeah - wondering how to polish up the blemishes in the A-bar on the front ;)

Or Meguiar's metal polish or Autosol metal polish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Another 3 hours and have the whole back of the car, rear wings and c-pillars done on a 2-step process.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/voodoomelon/728%20lll/Paint/2.jpg

This is tiring work, and only 1/4 of the way there.

That is looking ace.. Gonna look something with a coat or 2 of wax over it.. I have heard Petes 53 gives super results on darker colors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Need a decent camera too!

Yeh gonna look into waxes, might try that.
    Also thinking of respraying the whole black trim, any paint recommendations?

Need a decent camera too!

Yeh gonna look into waxes, might try that.
    Also thinking of respraying the whole black trim, any paint recommendations?

This car won a prize at Dubshed over the weekend
    It was prepped with a DA and topped off with Petes 53

IMG_0810.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

vectra wrote: »
    This car won a prize at Dubshed over the weekend
    It was prepped with a DA and topped off with Petes 53

Maybe it's my eye sight but...... do those wheels have a the Merc symbol on them :confused:

VW car / Merc Wheels / M5style tail pipes = confusion :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Would that reg plate be legal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

They do. Lorinser wheels if I am not mistaken. That car is for sale afaik too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

mrs crilly wrote: »
    Maybe it's my eye sight but...... do those wheels have a the Merc symbol on them :confused:

He's compensating for it being a diesel. :p

• Advertisement

There's nothing wrong with that unless the owner decides to imply its something it is not. Would not be my cup of tea but it looks like a lot of work has gone into it.

There's nothing wrong with that unless the owner decides to imply its something it is not.

I never said there was..

I never said there was..

Oh I know, but there seems a glut of rebadging going on recently by the "no smoke, no poke" brigade:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

today nearly burned down my puntie,... spit fuel when was adjusting injector and was trying start ... .... barely got flame down :(.. ... grrrrrrrrr .... new wiring loom (well... second hand) with inlet manifold with everything on top, also plastics under windscreen , also brake fluid canister, . loooong day, missed my studies over that, got parts already , 70 euro off my bank account.... matter install ... hope, will happen tomorrow. you wont believe, i have nct tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

bad luck man

E39MSport wrote: »
    bad luck man

dont tell me, .. i am so stuborn, that i start hate myself. normal mechanic/owner would just scrap it.

• Advertisement

We all make mistakes :) Try to learn from it...

Good idea for a thread .... (already done maybe)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

I started one of these a while ago, but it died a death. Can't link it, cos on the phone. But it was called " Today I did something stupid/ learned a valuable lesson."

I didnt do pictures, brake fluid canister with pipes installed, plastics under windscreen installed, wiring loom nearly installed... just have left install inlet manisfold with everything on top and wire up....

how all that will work out, will see tomorrow... ahhh and else .. im long time ago suspected faulty wiring or injector ... donor car was working sweet...:D good chance change over everything. will see , will see..

I started one of these a while ago, but it died a death. Can't link it, cos on the phone. But it was called " Today I did something stupid/ learned a valuable lesson."

Think I remember it. Also think I remember cringing at what I could add and the likely slagging off I'd get.

Maybe not so good an idea then :D

Would that reg plate be legal?
    They do. Lorinser wheels if I am not mistaken. That car is for sale afaik too.
    There's nothing wrong with that unless the owner decides to imply its something it is not. Would not be my cup of tea but it looks like a lot of work has gone into it.
    Oh I know, but there seems a glut of rebadging going on recently by the "no smoke, no poke" brigade:)

That car is the guys Hobby
    He has spent serious money on it and is by no means trying to imitate any other car.
    Constantly changing the wheels on it.

OH. Also connected to East coast Alloys ( Possibly owns it )

Runs on Bags as well

This is it last August at the Vage 2011 show in Fermoy

1872BE0D506146268E7BE56907799AA9-0000326183-0002486187-00800L-24BF906129B34FC6A7B76AF96D239EE3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

vectra wrote: »
    That car is the guys Hobby
    He has spent serious money on it and is by no means trying to imitate any other car.

So is every other "show car" from the max power days floating around on donedeal these days. They all had silly money thrown at them.

I'm by no means slating the guy, do what you want to with your own car, just don't expect everyone else to like it. I'd certainly prefer to see those driving around instead of some shítebox civic

I actually kinda like it :o In fact i looked at a lot of Dubshed pics and i found myself liking a lot of cars. So much so that i even thought, god i could see myself in that! The quirkyiness ( is that even a word? ) of the cars appealed to me. Purple bbs rs anybody???

I actually kinda like it :o In fact i looked at a lot of Dubshed pics and i found myself liking a lot of cars. So much so that i even thought, god i could see myself in that! The quirkyiness ( is that even a word? ) of the cars appealed to me. Purple bbs rs anybody???

E30's are much cooler. :cool:

E30's are much cooler. :cool:

Oh but of course! Well i will give the boards motoring section one bit of credit it has certainly opened my eyes to other makes and models of cars!

Mar4ix wrote: »
    today nearly burned down my puntie,... spit fuel when was adjusting injector and was trying start ... .... barely got flame down :(.. ... grrrrrrrrr .... new wiring loom (well... second hand) with inlet manifold with everything on top, also plastics under windscreen , also brake fluid canister, . loooong day, missed my studies over that, got parts already , 70 euro off my bank account.... matter install ... hope, will happen tomorrow. you wont believe, i have nct tomorrow.

today completed work on her , installed new catalytic converter, finished 1 hour before go to nct. Passed. i have new nct till 1april 2013... yeeee...
    will have to put back old catalytic converter, cant afford buy every year new, will put new one on shelf.. till next years nct. car still not work right.. .. not the way i like. seen puntos workin way smoother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I've done a lot of miles in my car this week, if the weather stays fine I'll be removing the Buddyclub Race Spec Dampers at the weekend and replace them with a cheaper set I have sitting here, don't want to ruin the Buddyclubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

There was something yellow with chains growing on one of my front wheels the other morning.

Sadly this had to be removed swiftly as I was late for work.

Now contemplating turning it into a coffee table.

I was happy to remove this for him :D Although the thought of leaving him stranded did cross my mind

528637_10150652935057825_744852824_9278291_116732314_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

This evening I started wrapping my center console in 3D carbon effect vinyl......Christ its tedious to get nice and neat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Replaced some bulbs this evening, fixed the trim around the bootlid interior as the plastic clips were missing, also got 7 litres of oil and a filter for it

Quick run through the receipt:

Retail prices

HAL 5W30 P/SYN 2L €21.99
    HAL 5W30 P/SYN 5L €31.99
    HAL OIL FILTER HOF265 €7.99
    HAL BULB HBU245S 10W PR €3.99

TOTAL €63.96

With trade card :D

HAL 5W30 P/SYN 2L €17.59
    HAL 5W30 P/SYN 5L €26.99
    HAL OIL FILTER HOF265 €2.88
    HAL BULB HBU245S 10W PR €0.70

TOTAL €48.16

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

This evening I started wrapping my center console in 3D carbon effect vinyl......Christ its tedious to get nice and neat.

any chance of some pictures when done, thinking of doing this myself as my dash has some scratches and marks from pervious owner

deaglan169 wrote: »
    any chance of some pictures when done, thinking of doing this myself as my dash has some scratches and marks from pervious owner

I've just done the lower panels and gear stick surround so far...

DSCF3607.jpg

Incase any of ye missed this group buy, great value

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056588521&page=3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Johntegr

Gary ITR wrote: »
    I've done a lot of miles in my car this week, if the weather stays fine I'll be removing the Buddyclub Race Spec Dampers at the weekend and replace them with a cheaper set I have sitting here, don't want to ruin the Buddyclubs

Contemplating same. Doing too many miles on **** roads.

I've just done the lower panels and gear stick surround so far...

DSCF3607.jpg

excellent will look great once fitted, is it hard to fit on curved surfaces i want to fit mine on an auris part of it will be the weird Y shaped piece that sweeps down to the handbrake its an odd shape with curves, also is that the 3m stuff that can be got handy enough off ebay?

I brought my car to Mondello today, didn't take her on track though. I actually heard it sigh with relief when I parked outside the paddock

excellent will look great once fitted, is it hard to fit on curved surfaces i want to fit mine on an auris part of it will be the weird Y shaped piece that sweeps down to the handbrake its an odd shape with curves, also is that the 3m stuff that can be got handy enough off ebay?

Heat it with a hair dryer, It helps get it round awkward parts, Still tricky enough to get it perfect though.
    Make sure all part to be done are spotless first though to ensure good adhesion.
    Clean with solution of APC and warm water to scrub them, then dry them off. Then rub them with IPA to remove any remaining Silicons etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Keep an eye out in Limerick for a Felty A6 (white,black roof) with MPower badge ;) It will bring a smile to your face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Quick run through the receipt:

Retail prices

HAL BULB HBU245S 10W PR €3.99

With trade card :D

HAL BULB HBU245S 10W PR €0.70

Huge margin there on the retail price compared to trade price for the Halfords own brand bulbs, never knew they could discount an item by that much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

New gearknob fitted to my van. From an Alfa 166... Also have a new manifold for it too, better get crackin with the welder this weekend :D

No pictures this time, my trusty Nokia is in Bermuda as we speak....

I used a heat gun to soften the vinyl so you can mould it around the curves without creases or bubbles. My Astra only has one major curved part though....the Auris would be a right nightmare I recon.

The finished job.....

DSCF3610.jpg

DSCF3611.jpg

I also took delivery of my next project:cool:

DSCF3612.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Jesus that's one sorry looking state of a silvia, what's the plans Doc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

S14?

Never liked them fella's, 15s were so much nicer.

S14?

Never liked them fella's, 15s were so much nicer.

Its a very rare original Irish S14a Touring:)
    Jesus that's one sorry looking state of a silvia, what's the plans Doc?

Myself and a mate are going to completely rebuild it from the nuts and bolt up to factory original with a view to keeping it as a future classic!

I used a heat gun to soften the vinyl so you can mould it around the curves without creases or bubbles. My Astra only has one major curved part though....the Auris would be a right nightmare I recon.

The finished job.....

I also took delivery of my next project:cool:

fantastic job looks excellent now i really want to have go at mine, what about the right angle corners i was thinking must be hard not to make a crease on them, i must measure up what i need tomorrow the 3m stuff on ebay isnt too dear.

• Advertisement

fantastic job looks excellent now i really want to have go at mine, what about the right angle corners i was thinking must be hard not to make a crease on them, i must measure up what i need tomorrow the 3m stuff on ebay isnt too dear.

Make sure you have a really sharp blade before you start. For the edges/corners I just put little slits in the vinyl so it could fold around without creasing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Nissan doctor...aka Ed China :)

Nissan doctor...aka Ed China :)

All I need now is a well paid job on TV:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Any openings for a fat lad who buys with his heart and lands you with way too much work that you won't get paid for cos I'll sell it to the first person who has cash on them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Any openings for a fat lad who buys with his heart and lands you with way too much work that you won't get paid for cos I'll sell it to the first person who has cash on them?

...and who has sold 100's of whatever car they're doing, has always wanted to own whatever car they're doing, lands you with a chassis swap job and whinges when he has to "put on cruise control, get the car heated up" to go get the chassis and other assorted parts for you???

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement