Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

How did you do the button side?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

scalpel and patience! i cut around the immediate lines around the buttons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

Pictures

Missed a spot:p

eh? :)

eh? :)

You can wrap plenty more :D

• Advertisement

asshole! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

PRiNTED GERMAN PLATES?

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

I actually genuinely think that looks quite good Ardennes tbh, top work. I'd never have the patience to do that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I'm kinda in to symmetry and all that jazz and I reckon LED / Xenon lights look cack unless they all match up. I.e. Xenon heads + regular fogs look cack as do LED plate lights + regular tail lights. I know in a lot of cases they even come from the factory like this.

Just my opinion is all! ;)

Example:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxzL6GgYDso1YxV3ZdymN7q3gp9tp1kFbc3dCDfUMmnTbiB3ixaNUWLznn5w

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

PRiNTED GERMAN PLATES?

Jesus wept.

Had to do it as a favour to a friend that makes them.

Pressed ones going on my next car.
    Jesus will be redeemed :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

i meant did listermint get leds or smds ;)

i would never bother with leds. always kinda cheap looking. smds ftw
    surface mount LEDs ARE LEDs??:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Killinator

RoverJames wrote: »

Looks well :)
    I dunno if you plan on driving through England at any stage with it livered up but apparently it's a big no no having race car numbers on the road over there, might be something to consider :)

Looked into it a bit and apparently there is no specific law that can be pointed to in the UK stating its illegal to have race numbers,
    It just appears to be one of those things that snowballed and apparently most police officers just think they are illegal,
    I'm happy to be corrected on this though, although I'm bypassing the Uk and ferrying direct to France.
    OSI wrote: »

GTI looks awesome. Just needs the 18" Detroits to really set it off..

6325675557_40c14cb3a0.jpg

Ah yes, they'd go down a treat.:-)

langdang wrote: »
    surface mount LEDs ARE LEDs??:confused:

Agreed yes but they are like a different type or whatever. I meant the standard led lights and the names differentiate them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

Took her to Hook Head Lighthouse yesterday for a drive :D

97804794.jpg

Today i done a D.I.Y. repair on my heater resistor. it costs €55 for a new opel part, but i finally made it to maplins and bought the resistor for 1.40 and fitted it myself :D

45604879.jpg

fffrw.jpg

fffftc.jpg

fffffme.jpg

bit of a bodge looking think but appears to work great :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

andyseadog wrote: »

Today i done a D.I.Y. repair on my heater resistor. it costs €55 for a new opel part, but i finally made it to maplins and bought the resistor for 1.40 and fitted it myself :D

You were robbed by maplins! You could get about 100 resistors for that price on eBay! LOL... :P

Nice fix BTW ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Cleaned out the throttle body to sort a dodgy idle speed and the car self revving. All done, but was embarassing over the last fortnight to be stuck at the lights with the car revving to 1800rpm and dropping back to idle over and over. Must have looked like someone trying to race away from every light.

My double din fitting kit arrived today from the UK so I can get my Pionner AVIC in there, just waiting on the kit too relocate the climate control from BMW. Nice thing about the fitting kit is that it came with a MFSW interface too. Waiting on a reverse camera to arrive from Hong Kong, should have the lot here early next week, so it'll be fun to install it all up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I must've missed something Owen, you bought a car?

Did you buy the e46

You were robbed by maplins! You could get about 100 resistors for that price on eBay! LOL... :P

Nice fix BTW ;)

what would i have done with 100 of them though :D

cant take credit for the fix though, i seen a "how to" on the vectra owners club. disappointed with the visuals of mine, i didnt bent the resistor symetrically and as a result it looks a bit **** but its not really a visual part, so.... :pac:.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I must've missed something Owen, you bought a car?

Did you buy the e46

Sure did chief, got a 2001 e46 318ci SE with M Sport alloys, and Harman Kardon Audio. Have it about a fortnight now. Going like a little mouses heart. Needs a bit of bodywork here and there, and long term I'll put Leather in there too.

Owen wrote: »
    Cleaned out the throttle body to sort a dodgy idle speed and the car self revving. All done, but was embarassing over the last fortnight to be stuck at the lights with the car revving to 1800rpm and dropping back to idle over and over. Must have looked like someone trying to race away from every light.

My double din fitting kit arrived today from the UK so I can get my Pionner AVIC in there, just waiting on the kit too relocate the climate control from BMW. Nice thing about the fitting kit is that it came with a MFSW interface too. Waiting on a reverse camera to arrive from Hong Kong, should have the lot here early next week, so it'll be fun to install it all up.

Double din looks nice in the E46 imo. Should have been there from day one.

• Advertisement

Sure did chief, got a 2001 e46 318ci SE with M Sport alloys, and Harman Kardon Audio. Have it about a fortnight now. Going like a little mouses heart. Needs a bit of bodywork here and there, and long term I'll put Leather in there too.

Pics or did I miss those??

vectra wrote: »
    Pics or did I miss those??

You missed them :p

No great photos I'm afraid, just this crappy phone one. I'm too embarrassed to put anything decent up until I've actually repainted the bumpers and machine polished it/cleaned the inside. Only changes since this photo would be a proper set of replacement wheel center caps.

She's the SE Spec, so PDC on the rear, Armrest, MFSW, Climate, Cruise, Autodip Rear Mirror, Front Dogs, then the 17" M Sport Alloys with decent tyres, and the Harman Kardon Premium Audio System. 114k Miles, and just serviced, NCT'd until October. The newer 150Bhp engine too.

558582_10150790465823413_547383412_11597784_682103395_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

No great photos I'm afraid, just this crappy phone one. I'm too embarrassed to put anything decent up until I've actually repainted the bumpers and machine polished it/cleaned the inside. Only changes since this photo would be a proper set of replacement wheel center caps.

Lovely car Owen.

Got rid of the Alfa today. The guy turned up to find that it wouldn't start and there was no oil in it :o Dunno where the oil went, I checked it when I parked it up two weeks ago. Anyway, with a dodgy gearbox, suspension and no oil I got €220 for it. Thank fuck it's gone.

I am carless. Insured on the Corsa C from Sunday though.

...Front Dogs,

They think of everything :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Confab wrote: »
    I am careless.

FYP ;)

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Brightened up the interior with a bunch of bits sourced in a scrap-yard.

Before, the sea of dark plastics
    b4_1.jpg

b4_2.jpg

b4_3.jpg

The bunch of bits - have wanted these since we bought it, but couldn't stomach/justify the €120+ price from a stealers (which wouldn't have included the handles).

bits.jpg

And after - nice and shiney :D

after_1.jpg

after_2.jpg

after_3.jpg

3 more parts and I'll be happy (white dials, silver shift-knob, silver shifter surround). Unfortunately the donor was a manual so the surround wouldn't work. Ah well - still happy enough. :cool:

She's the SE Spec, so PDC on the rear, Armrest, MFSW, Climate, Cruise, Autodip Rear Mirror, Front Dogs, then the 17" M Sport Alloys with decent tyres, and the Harman Kardon Premium Audio System. 114k Miles, and just serviced, NCT'd until October. The newer 150Bhp engine too.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/558582_10150790465823413_547383412_11597784_682103395_n.jpg

Lovely looking car
    Is the SE model below or above the Mtec (or whatever it is called) spec?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

"Mtec" or M sport is higher

Actually, I may as well elaborate :P

M-sport package comes with M sport front / rear bumpers (more sporty/aggressive looking), rear bumper has a diffuser which can be changed, M-sport seats (practically bucket seats) in Alcantara, Leather or Half-leather, black roof lining, M-sport door kicks, different style steering wheel, M-sport suspension, different alloys afaik, and a lot of other kit too...

Harman Kardon sound system is an optional extra btw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Gave it a puncture

Was only pulling in to the parking space at less than 5mph and slightly grinded off the curb and it got a tear in the side wall.

Wouldn't mind but I was going into the shop to get my last order out then go home.

Just ****e the only way I had of getting home was a taxi.

Left the car at the shop which is directly across the road from atlas so I pulled it over there and hopefully the lads will fix it and I'll get it off them when I go to work tomorrow.

Now hopefully the next time I post in this thread I can say I taxed, insured it for a year and fixed all front damage and got all scratches fixed and fitted and new radio.

Putting it all off for too long.

Will need new tyres all round very soon too !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Probably not what you want to hear rob but if the sidewall got damaged, you're looking at a new tyre, there's no two ways about it really. You can't do a proper fix on side wall tears like a normal puncture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Probably not what you want to hear rob but if the sidewall got damaged, you're looking at a new tyre, there's no two ways about it really. You can't do a proper fix on side wall tears like a normal puncture.

Ah poo anyways.

New tyres all round it is then,

They are quite low as it is so I'm not too fussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I bought 5 new tyres for my Avensis plus done the timing belt and replaced a few drop links. Almost ready for testing if I ever get the log book of the Leuder I bought it from..:D:D

Never buy a car without a logbook

:D

"Mtec" or M sport is higher

Actually, I may as well elaborate :P

M-sport package comes with M sport front / rear bumpers (more sporty/aggressive looking), rear bumper has a diffuser which can be changed, M-sport seats (practically bucket seats) in Alcantara, Leather or Half-leather, black roof lining, M-sport door kicks, different style steering wheel, M-sport suspension, different alloys afaik, and a lot of other kit too...

Harman Kardon sound system is an optional extra btw

Jeez that sounds impressive.
    Thanks for that
    robbie_998 wrote: »
    Ah poo anyways.

New tyres all round it is then,

They are quite low as it is so I'm not too fussed.

Stick a set of part worn's on for now as the summer is on its way they would be perfect. Save a few €'s seeing as you have to tax and insure at the same time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

did you get smds or leds?

Arent SMDs just LEDs ? except smaller?

At least thats what i thought they are

they are but how else am i to distinguish them. better to call them smds than raelly really small leds

they are but how else am i to distinguish them. better to call them smds than raelly really small leds

Im pretty sure any auto related LEDs are surface mounted, youd be hard stretched to find ones that arent. They are build for application.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Led (light emitting diode):
    6a00d83451dceb69e2010536a737d7970b-300wi

Smd (surface mounted diode):
    0_5W_5050_SMD_LED_with_2.jpg

Hal1 wrote: »
    Led (light emitting diode):
    6a00d83451dceb69e2010536a737d7970b-300wi

Smd (surface mounted diode):
    0_5W_5050_SMD_LED_with_2.jpg

You will notice your SMD picture actually says LED on it. They are both the same thing. Ive studied it in college.

But alas semantics.....

When talking about cars its quite clear what LED means..... I dont know who would stick a x2 leg into their reg plate area....... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Oh jebus, I'm sorry I said anything! :p:o;)
    Ardennes, for the purposes of differentiating you could refer to one as thru-hole and the other as smd (if you were talking to a pedant such as myself).
    But for conversations with more normal people - as you were , soldier ;)

i dont see why this is a problem. its never been a problem before ever! if you type in led bulb and smd bulb into ebay you will see totally different listings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Lads, no one cares. Move on or take it to pm!

sorry :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

In preparation for the Arrival of the group buy polisher I have clayed, detarred my car today. I have also cleaned and treated the leather.

In preparation for the Arrival of the group buy polisher I have clayed, detarred my car today. I have also cleaned and treated the leather.

So you removed the Blacklight again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I bought 5 new tyres for my Avensis plus done the timing belt and replaced a few drop links. Almost ready for testing if I ever get the log book of the Leuder I bought it from..:D:D
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    Never buy a car without a logbook

Thats true but I have got about 5 speeding tickets in the last few weeks...:pac::pac:

Yesterday evening i was browsing donedeal and seen a flip out dvd headunit i fancied for my veccy. got in touch with the seller, arranged a mutual time and place to meet today. (he was from north dublin and i south wicklow, arranged to meet at kilmac service station, 30 miles from me).

he text me this morning to confirm i was coming because he "had a lot of timewasters", i replyed to say all was ok. i text him again when i was half an hour away and he confirmed he would meet me there. i called him when i arrived at kilmac service station, no answer, text him, no answer, waited half an hour, not approached by anybody.

still havn't heard from him. why the **** do people do that ****, i'm so ****ing cross about it. partially my own fault but i left home early and bought a DIN adapter and all for it in halfords, so im a good bit out of pocket after the day :mad:

edit : http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/carextras/3221670
    don't waste your time anybody.

Wouldn't you get one in halfords new for close to €100

Picked up a few goodies for the Jaaaag today;

Meguiars ultimate polish
    Meguiars all metal polish
    Halfords polishing cloth
    Wonder wheels
    New number plate

Lots to do, hopefully it doesn't rain tomorrow