Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hen's all dirty

• 23-06-2011 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi there

I'm just back from two weeks hols and one of my three hens is looking decidedly worse for wear. She looks really shabby and there appears to be a lot of what appears to be dirt in among her feathers? Also, her feathers aren't looking as great as those on the other two.

While we've been away a neighbour came in every day to feed them, lift the eggs and let them out for a bit of a run. That said, they weren't 'out' for as long as usual (we have a 3m x5m run they stay in when we're out and we tend to let them roam the garden when we're at home).

I'm wondering if them being kept in their run has led to bit of infighting and one of the others has had a bit of a peck fest or whether it is something more serious? the fact that the other two look fine suggests that this is maybe the case?

Any advice more than welcome

Thanks a million :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The change in routine might of stressed her a bit or she could be coming down with something, did the neighbour clean them out regularly?
    She could do with a trip to the vets, birds in general won't let on that they are ill at first so the fact she's out of condition might suggest there's something wrong with her. I wouldn't leave it too long, birds can go downhill fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Have you checked her out for lice/mites etc?
    Is she loosing feathers?
    How old is she?
    Has she lost weight?

If she is queiter than normal or crouched over I would bring her a vet asap.

Have you checked her over fully, skin, facial area, crop, vent?
    Tylan is a handy AB to have in your first aid cabinet for times when you feel your hen just isnt right.
    I would also think about frontling them all just incase the dirt in her feathers are lice/mites.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭scottyboy1973

Thanks both of you. She actually seems a good bit better today. Our neighbour was very conscientious in cleaning them out but I think they were just sick of being cooped up in a smaller space than usual and getting a bit fractious as a result.

They seem to be laying OK and are pottering around the garden. I'llkeep you updated if anything changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Eyeore

scottyboy1973 maybe she is just moulting. My 5 are moulting at the moment and they look terrible. It was raining all day today and they looked like drowned rats!

Advertisement