Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative late music bar in Waterford city?

• 23-06-2011 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

Heading down for a weekend break and was just wondering is there an alternative/rock/metal style venue one can go to to sample some earpiercing sounds,something like Bruxelles in Dublin??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

The front lounge will be the closest you'll get and I think it's a good spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

Beatles Tribute in the forum

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Thanks guys,noted ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Traffik at the Forum would normally be your best bet. The Beatles tribute is downstairs, and Traffik is upstairs. According to their website Smash Hits are playing upstairs at 10.30 on Saturday, but that's a bit earlier than usual so maybe Traffik will be on afterwards, around 12.30 or so. Give the Forum a ring is probably your best bet.

Other than that there's not really any other Rock/Metal/Alternative places in Waterford anymore. The Front Lounge would probably be the next best bet, but it doesn't really compare to the Forum with what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Marchandire

Yep, you can see the trend here. Unless you're into pop and mainstream dance, it's the Forum or nothing.

And tbh, the Forum is pretty average at that :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

There is an alternative to modern music alright...but it's not exclusively rock. WAterford aint big enough to pigeon hole itself like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

I was just thinking, there's a couple of bars on the quay that have heavy/alternative nights and/or bands sometimes. Both these bars are fairly small and a bit cliquey but they'd probably be more up your street musicwise than the Front Lounge

Murphy's
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001635661354

Sals - Luminous Live normally organise the gigs here
    http://www.facebook.com/luminouslive

johnnykilo wrote: »
    Traffik at the Forum would normally be your best bet. The Beatles tribute is downstairs, and Traffik is upstairs. According to their website Smash Hits are playing upstairs at 10.30 on Saturday, but that's a bit earlier than usual so maybe Traffik will be on afterwards, around 12.30 or so. Give the Forum a ring is probably your best bet.

Other than that there's not really any other Rock/Metal/Alternative places in Waterford anymore. The Front Lounge would probably be the next best bet, but it doesn't really compare to the Forum with what you're looking for.

Thanks for that,looks like a trip to The Front Lounge then to begin but i will check out The Forum to see when the Smash Hits finish up,God forbid i got there early :pac:

johnnykilo wrote: »
    I was just thinking, there's a couple of bars on the quay that have heavy/alternative nights and/or bands sometimes. Both these bars are fairly small and a bit cliquey but they'd probably be more up your street musicwise than the Front Lounge

Murphy's
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001635661354

Sals - Luminous Live normally organise the gigs here
    http://www.facebook.com/luminouslive

All good Johnny,thanks a mill.

Wouldn't mind doing a bit of crawl so the more the merrier HiC!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

an equivalent to Bruxelles would be wonderful but sadly does not exist. Murphs or Sals are the best bet though it's possible you could arrive at either venue and not find live music. The Front Lounge have been known to turn away 'metal heads' (happened to some friends and also myself one night).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

i reckon your best bet is to head into Sals or Murphys (or both, they are right beside each other) first for a few pints, there'll definitely be a live band in at least one if not both of the places, and they do a nice cheap pint, and then to The Forum which plays good music and in my humble opinion is the best place in town anyway

Just had a few in Murphy's,nice spot and real nice barstaff,just caught the band playing their last 2 songs,sounded pretty good,pity i was late,back tomorrow eve then ;)

Advertisement