Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrowmore

Options
  • 23-06-2011 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi, my friend and I are looking to visit Carrowmore megalithic cemetery when we're in Sligo next week. Neither of us has a car though and we'd like to know the easiest way to get out there. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Either taxi or walk, I don't know of any buses that go that direction. It's a good half hour walk from town or about €10 in a taxi. They charge €3 admission also. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Hi, my friend and I are looking to visit Carrowmore megalithic cemetery when we're in Sligo next week. Neither of us has a car though and we'd like to know the easiest way to get out there. Thanks!

I would get a taxi,do not think its safe to recommend walking it, the road is pretty bad. It would take much longer than a half hour to walk too.Climb Knocknarea views from the top are excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Hire a bike for the day and cycle out. Go exploring on the bikes after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

I would get a taxi,do not think its safe to recommend walking it, the road is pretty bad. It would take much longer than a half hour to walk too.Climb Knocknarea views from the top are excellent

The road is a bit narrow alright but I often meet pedestrians on it. It's 4km from town so might take a bit over half an hour to walk it, if it's a nice day it would be grand as the scenery is quite nice on the way.

+1 on Knocknarea, you would definitely need a taxi to take you there though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

There is a bus definitely. I often get it going back into town,goes straight past Carrowmore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

UrbanSea wrote: »
    There is a bus definitely. I often get it going back into town,goes straight past Carrowmore.

I was in Sligo last week and did Carrowmore. Beautiful setting. Nice little interpretive centre. Some of the dolmens are pretty impressive - especially the main one in the cairn and the furthest one in the field across the road. There is a bus timetable here

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1290613518-478a.pdf

And +1 for Knocknarea. Nice climb and great view. Next time I go back I plan to do Ben Bulben. Apparently it's only 200ft higher.

Have fun!

Advertisement