Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

resource hours - enough?

• 23-06-2011 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hello everyone!

I have a 9 year old lad who was diagnosed with dyslexia and dyscalculia in Sept and then D.C.D. and sensory processing dysfunction in Nov. From that we were allocated 3 resource hours a week. We have just found out he has aspergers syndrome and his psychiatrist is going to try to get more resource hours...unlikely?

Since Sen Infants he has been seeing a learning support teacher along with a small group 4 times a week.Since his resource teacher started in March he has only been seeing his support teacher 2 times a week - on the days he doesn't see the resource teacher.

Plus, even though it was decided what days his resource teacher should come, she has been coming irregularly missing days and I wish I had kept a record of when she came because I really don't think in total my lad is getting his 3 hours a week.

What worries me the most is that his IEP, to this day, has not been amended since before last Sept..

Sorry for the long email! What I'd like to know is if anyone has gone through this sort of thing with their kids. Plus - hope you don't mind me asking - I was wondering what hours of learning support/ resource teaching other kids with similar conditions are getting in school?

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you,

Pip

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

He is entitled to either resource or learning support, not both. He has been diagnosed with Aspergers so should get 5 hours if granted (but less the infamous 10%)It is not likely he will be granted these for the start of the new school year, but the school should apply anyhow.

IEPs are not legally required, but many schools do take them on anyhow, despite the time they take.We were told by the SESS that IEPs need only be written once a year, but that as targets are reached/amended parents should be informed. Do you feel he has reached all his IEP targets?Is there a meeting at the start of the school year to review and then draw up a new IEP?

This time of the year is so busy that children may miss support classes, with schools tours, sports days,concerts, end-of-year mass, standardised tests etc. I'd prefer a child to miss a support class rather than miss out on any of the "fun" things, or else they will start to resent going to support.There may also be in-class support too

Who is the SEN co-ordinator in the school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pippas

Thank you so much By Hook or By Crook,

I feel so much better knowing schools don't need to write IEPs and the fact that kids can't have both resource teaching and support teaching!

We intend to have a meeting in Sept with all teachers involved so that would be great.

I should have mentioned the good points - he loves the school and the teachers so I'm happy now knowing all is as it should be!

Thanks again,

Pip

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

More than welcome. We send a form home to parents before the IEP meetings to see what their hopes for the new school year are and what areas the child might need support with,they send it back before the meeting,then we discuss it at the meeting and plan from there. Would you consider outlining your concerns/ideas to the co-ordinator before the meeting in writing?Means meeting is more productive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pippas

Hook, that's a great idea, I'll do that!

Thanks again,

Pip

Advertisement