Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frank Turner Irish gigs

Options
  • 23-06-2011 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭

Frank Turner announced earlier on twitter that he is to do a number of shows in Ireland

http://frank-turner.com/blog/upcoming-gigs/

13/09/2011 - Kilkenny -Set Theatre
    14/09/2011 - Cork - Cypress Avenue
    15/09/2011 - Galway - Roisin Dubh
    18/09/2011 - Dublin - Whelan's

His latest album isnt his best but will definately get tickets for the Galway show, missed out the last time he played there!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea i missed him the last time aswell. Have being checking his page everyday to see when he was announcing the dates. Def gonna pop along to the Whelans show

Tickets are €13.50 for Whelans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Cant wait for Whelans, he was awesome in Wembley last summer

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭skinandblister

I love this guy. I will be seeing him in Galway and possibly Dublin. I seen him last summer when he supported Green Day in Wembley Stadium and he was brilliant, so am really looking forward to seeing him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Frank Turner tweeted this morning that he has a number of gigs lined up in Ireland in December.

http://frank-turner.com/blog/upcoming-gigs/
    06 Dec 12 Cork - Cypress Avenue
    07 Dec 12 Galway - Roisin Dubh
    08 Dec 12 Belfast - LImelight
    09 Dec 12 Dublin - Whelans

If its anything to go by last years gig in the Roisin Dubh, it will be well worth seeing.

Oh, to those unfamiliar with him....you might recognised him as the guy singing on the hill before the start of the Olympics ceremony (but god forbid that is what he is going to be remembered for!)

Missed him last time so not gonna miss this tour

Seems Belfast show is £18 also seems to be him on a solo tour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Cork, Galway and Dublin for me, Belfast can fook right off. Hoping he will play a new song for the first time in Cork again because he's done it the last 2 times he was here :)

Sunday 9th December 2012
    Whelan’s, Wexford St.

**Tickets €13.50 incl. booking fee on sale Friday**
    Over 18s – ID required

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Stretchryan

Yeah seen him support the Dropkick Murphys in Boston last paddies week and was really good. Writes really good songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Anyone got tickets for Cork? I can't find the gig on ticketmaster or on Cyprus Avenue's website??? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

anyone from Waterford area going to Cork or Dublin gigs ??

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭DylanJames

Anyone got tickets for Cork? I can't find the gig on ticketmaster or on Cyprus Avenue's website??? :(

Cork gig is on Tickets.ie

https://tickets.ie/event.aspx/tickets/frank-turner-cyprus-avenue-cork-06-December-2012/JY532

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Gonna give him a miss this time. Had to leave the last gig with about 5 songs left to play. Where I live in Dublin is a nightmare to get back to, especially on a Sunday!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

DylanJames wrote: »

Thanks! :) Turns out they were on ticketmaster a bit late! Got them now anyway! Can't wait! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Just to let anyone going to these gigs know, I'm gonna be one of the support acts for all 4 dates (Cork, Galway, Belfast, Dublin) so if you feel like supporting yer fellow boardsie, come on down early to the shows (also say hello; always fun to meet a boardsie)! If you wanna check me out in advance of the gigs, my youtube is here and my bandcamp is here!

NB: I got mod approval for posting this!

Just to let anyone going to these gigs know, I'm gonna be one of the support acts for all 4 dates (Cork, Galway, Belfast, Dublin) so if you feel like supporting yer fellow boardsie, come on down early to the shows (also say hello; always fun to meet a boardsie)! If you wanna check me out in advance of the gigs, my youtube is here and my bandcamp is here!

NB: I got mod approval for posting this!

Howya Sean, is it Jim Lockey who is the other support? Heard that rumour, but since I just clicked on this thread better to ask from the horse rather than googling.

I should be at Cork and Dublin definitely, Galway if not working :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Yep, Jim's the other support! I've never seem him so that'll be fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Went to get tickets for this the other day. Knew I should have acted sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Anyone know the stage times?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

One here if you want it

Sorry man was in work. Needed two, and since I went for them, my bank are screwing me around so probably better I didnt get them.

Raging i didnt go to this AGAIN! Its good that he sold out Whelans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Great gig!

Whelans is a craicing venue, went upstairs for the first time and had loads of room, and a decent view

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Really great gig, I've seen him twice before but that was the first time it's been just his own gig without a backing band, really surprised me how great it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Me too, dare i say i preferred it without a backing band.

Its tough as much as i like the smaller venues such as Whelans, id love to see him at a slightly bigger venue. Was at the O2 in Birmingham for example and was great

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Great gig!

Whelans is a craicing venue, went upstairs for the first time and had loads of room, and a decent view

I was sick as a dog at the gig and tried to go upstairs, apparently people who go to the circle don't "get" gig etiquette, 3 people in chairs at the center piece blocking the view of a bunch of us. If they just stood at the damn rail we'd fit 12 in their easily.

That said, good gig, and I have to say Sean was better live than I thought he would be. Massively preferred his set to Jim Lockeys, but I'm just not into JL&TSS anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Me too, dare i say i preferred it without a backing band.

Its tough as much as i like the smaller venues such as Whelans, id love to see him at a slightly bigger venue. Was at the O2 in Birmingham for example and was great

Funny, I thought it was much better the times I've seen him with the Sleeping Souls. Much better atmosphere and the songs are a lot more dynamic. Maybe it was the fact he was 3rd of 3 guitar only acts but I thought it got a little bit boring at times.
    I was sick as a dog at the gig and tried to go upstairs, apparently people who go to the circle don't "get" gig etiquette, 3 people in chairs at the center piece blocking the view of a bunch of us. If they just stood at the damn rail we'd fit 12 in their easily.

That said, good gig, and I have to say Sean was better live than I thought he would be. Massively preferred his set to Jim Lockeys, but I'm just not into JL&TSS anyway.

I don't see a problem with that - the chairs are there to be used, and when you go upstairs it's a lot more laid back than standing on the floor.

Agree about the support acts though, JL wasn't great. Had no interest in searching out his stuff after the gig.

Advertisement