Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proof that I'm continuing to second year?

Options
  • 23-06-2011 1:36pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi

In order to upgrade my bank account to a third-level student account, I need proof that I will be continuing to second year (normally, they can open a student account as soon as the new student cards are issued, but as UCD keep the same student cards throughout my whole degree program [4 years] this won't do, as it has no expiry date on it).

I can print out my statement of results to prove that I've passed first year, but that doesn't actually prove that I'm going back. The girl in the bank says a letter from UCD saying that you were entering 2nd year would suffice (seemingly alongside my results).

Do they send out letters like this? I'm guessing I'll have to wait for registration in August but would prefer if I could open the account sooner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

If you go to your programmes office they should be able to write you such a letter, or be able to give you something that would suffice.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Would I have to travel to Dublin to go to the program office, or is it something that could be done over the phone?

OSI, I should have mentioned that the bank is Ulster Bank, not AIB on campus so I'm not sure if that would work.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

What degree programme are you in just out of interest?

I know in science pending second years get letter confirmation of their subject streams for second year. That should be acceptable... Does your program do anything like that maybe???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

You need a certificate of attendance. You can get them from the student desk.
    http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/studentdesk/index.html?show=certs

Say why you want it as well so that the person compiling the letter can write that you have completed all stage 1 exams and will be progressing into stage 2.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Thank you ParkerKent, extremely helpful as always - that looks like exactly what I want!

MissRealist, my degree is Actuarial and Financial Studies (BAFS), which is denominated so I'm not sure that I'd get a letter with subject choices or anything!

Thanks again everyone! I'll let you know how I get on!

• Advertisement

So I got the Cert of Attendance, but it only stated that I am registered for, and in attendance at, BAFS in UCD for the Academic Session(s) 2010/2011 Full Time Stage 1.

Underneath it said "Student is eligible to register for the academic session 2011/2012".

But I went into the bank anyway (with a print out of my results showing I passed first year and hoping this would be enough to prove I'll be continuing onto Stage 2 as the Cert of attendance said I was a Full Time student) but it wasn't - as it only said that I was "eligible to register" for 2011/2012 as opposed to actually being registered, apparently it doesn't ensure that I will be returning.

What is the best way to go about this? Do I have to wait until August (as she said in the bank) for registration to open, get another Cert of Attendance and then try again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭autonomy

You really have to prove too much these days don't you

It is a bit frustrating all right, I'm sure she personally believed me but it must be bank policy.

Having said that, it's probably an unusual request to start/upgrade to a third-level student account in the middle of summer!

What is the best way to go about this? Do I have to wait until August (as she said in the bank) for registration to open, get another Cert of Attendance and then try again?

Not much point in a new CoA as they'll all say Stage 1 until you register for Stage 2. I had thought the line about being eligible to register for Stage 2 should be enough. Not sure why they are being so awkward. I guess they must have had some chancers abuse the system before leading to genuine people like you getting a raw deal.

Looks like you'll have to wait until your reg opens up.

Thanks again!

I can understand their logic, as the Third Level Student account has some benefits that the ordinary Current Account does not so they're probably (as you say) preventing people from abusing it, but it is frustrating!

At the start of first year, I opened an AIB Third Level account as well (just because they were on campus and were offering free travelcards) and they didn't ask any questions whatsoever, I could sign up straight away and they even accepted a Garda Age card as I.D.

What counts as being registered? Is it paying the €2000 student fees, or picking modules, or simply just confirming attendance on SIS? How soon can I do this?

Edit: seemingly not until 24th of August!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Sometimes college related stuff can be so frustrating...!

Perhaps email the student desk, asking for a customised letter, stating your intent to continue on?! It's all a bit ghey really.

Also best of luck with the BAFS course, just finished it myself!

Also best of luck with the BAFS course, just finished it myself!

Thanks! Loving it so far, but I hear it gets much harder from 2nd year onwards :p

I probably won't e-mail them until August again. The girl in the bank was right, being eligible to register doesn't actually mean I will register, and the student desk won't know I will until I actually do register!

Thanks for all the answers anyway! If Ulster Bank was on campus I suspect I mightn't have as much difficulty! :)

Thanks for all the answers anyway! If Ulster Bank was on campus I suspect I mightn't have as much difficulty! :)

Nah you would. I've seen people doing a zig-zag back and forth between AIB and the Student Desk with letters!

Also, you don't have to pay the full reg fee to be "registered" since you can pay it in 2 instalments.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭dtmc

Have you tried applying for it online? I'm pretty sure that Ulster Bank have an online application facility for 3rd level accounts

dtmc wrote: »
    Have you tried applying for it online? I'm pretty sure that Ulster Bank have an online application facility for 3rd level accounts

I noticed they had that facility but I didn't try it as I was specifically trying to 'upgrade' an account I have now, as opposed to start a new one (the one I have now I actually started online!). But I had to send off I.D. by post to get the account started, so I imagine I'll encounter the same problem if I try apply online!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

I'm with Ulster Bank and I didn't know I'd have to do this, what a pain in the arse!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I'm going in to Ulster Bank to try and start a student account this afternoon, dreading that I'll be in the same situation. =(

Hopefully you get on all right! Normally other colleges have a student card only for the year (I think) but UCD have one for the whole duration (and even though my course is a 4 year course, there is no indication of expiry date on it!) which makes things more complicated. I can understand why UB need absolute proof but it is really frustrating.

At the moment I have one of those under 18 accounts (despite being 19) which isn't too bad as I don't have to pay fees or anything, apart from the €5 stamp duty on the debit card!

Let me know how you get on, Raphael!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Went fine, I had my cert of attendance ready, but he just put me through no bother. Was the Dundrum branch, maybe they're just used to UCD students.

*Bump*

I still have yet to do this, due to not being able to register yet, but I noticed this little paragraph in an e-mail today - certainly interesting!
    UCD wrote:
    NEW Service - you can now produce your own UCD Certificate of Attendance online

I am happy to announce a new service for our students, improving the speed of our services and reducing the need to queue at the Student Desk. From 17 August 2011 you will be able to produce and publish your own Certificate of Attendance online which you can then use directly with third parties such as Banks, Local Grant Authorities, etc. They will then be able to authenticate this document through the UCD website. Over the coming year, this service will be extended to include Transcripts, Academic Statements and Statements of Results. Please see http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/studentdesk/onlinedocs.html for further details.

• Advertisement

Yep that will be a great help to students. No more queues all day long for CoAs and they can be emailed which is a great bonus. I thought this was a great idea.

Success, at last!

Even though I don't register until the 24th, I clicked into registration and then got an e-mail which said I confirmed my registration (or something along those lines). I produced a Certificate of Attendance online yesterday (very handy feature) which stated that I was registered for both 2010/2011 BAFS and 2011/2012 BAFS, so at last I could upgrade my account to a third-level account.

Great to hear it works well. Far better than the old way!

Advertisement