Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can job offers be revoked?

• 23-06-2011 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

Yes. However, there would want to be a good reason for revoking a job offer.

Very often, a job offer would be for example, subject to passing a medical. If you fail to pass the medical, it could be revoked, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭dienbienphu

i know a guy who applied for a security job. the guy was waiting for his licence to be renewd when he sat the interview. the manager offered him a job and said once he got the licence he could start. when he got the licence they revoked the job offer and said all positions has been filled.

i know a guy who applied for a security job. the guy was waiting for his licence to be renewd when he sat the interview. the manager offered him a job and said once he got the licence he could start. when he got the licence they revoked the job offer and said all positions has been filled.

How long was he waiting for his license? Would it have been unreasonable for them to hold the job open for him?

Theoretically and this would not be legal advice, I would have thought that for him to have any feasible cause of action, the withdrawal would have to be discriminatory under one of the 9 grounds in equality legislation i.e. it was withdrawn for ereasons of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, age, marital status, etc.

I don't think that you could argue that a contract was completed in the circumstances and I presume nothing was signed...

the employer said that once the guy had his licence renewed he could begin his training with the employer before he started work.

at which point does an employment offer become accepted? when the person starts work or when he verbally agrees at that time.

surely if the guy acted on this promise of employment and accepted it, the employer must be estopped from withdrawing the offer since he relied on the promise or am i getting it wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

the employer said that once the guy had his licence renewed he could begin his training with the employer before he started work.

at which point does an employment offer become accepted? when the person starts work or when he verbally agrees at that time.

surely if the guy acted on this promise of employment and accepted it, the employer must be estopped from withdrawing the offer since he relied on the promise or am i getting it wrong?

Any offer is accepted once a communication of acceptance is made, afaik

• Advertisement

is there a legal agreement here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Surely if the person is a security guard he needs a licence anyway. Did he suffer any loss because of the withdrawl?

Estoppel only comes into it if he acted to his detriment on the basis of the promise. Applying for a renewal of a license that he needs for any security job could hardly be said to be acting to his detriment.

Seanbeag1 wrote: »
    Surely if the person is a security guard he needs a licence anyway. Did he suffer any loss because of the withdrawl?

ya stress and trauma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

ya stress and trauma

Seriously?

• Advertisement

ya stress and trauma

Slightly far fetched, has he got a licensed medical professional that will back these claims up? Because if not, forget it. More reasonable to go for loss of earnings etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 fencedin

Seanbeag1 wrote: »
    wouldd he not have financial loss? and would he not have had to have a licence before applying for a job in security?

fencedin wrote: »
    would he not have had to have a licence before applying for a job in security?

the employer was aware that he had only applied for a licence and went ahead and offered him the job regardless even though his licence application was still pending. surely the employer sacrificed that defence by having knowledge of that fact.

the employer was aware that he had only applied for a licence and went ahead and offered him the job regardless even though his licence application was still pending. surely the employer sacrificed that defence by having knowledge of that fact.

It does not matter. There would be no contract concluded here as the offer was withdrawn prior to fulfilling the preliminary condition related to acceptance. The only cause of action would be if one could show that the job offer was withdrawn based on one of the 9 grounds of discrimination in the Employment Equality Acts which does not seem to be the case here.

It does not matter. There would be no contract concluded here as the offer was withdrawn prior to fulfilling the preliminary condition related to acceptance. The only cause of action would be if one could show that the job offer was withdrawn based on one of the 9 grounds of discrimination in the Employment Equality Acts which does not seem to be the case here.

By the 'preliminary condition' I assume you mean the guy getting his license. The job was offered and accepted, and the conditions fulfilled. The offer was withdrawn after he got his security license. I think there might be a case here. I'm willing to bet your friend won't be bothered enough to sue though.

By the 'preliminary condition' I assume you mean the guy getting his license. The job was offered and accepted, and the conditions fulfilled. The offer was withdrawn after he got his security license. I think there might be a case here. I'm willing to bet your friend won't be bothered enough to sue though.

i doubht he would have the money to see a solicitor.
    the thing that annoys him the most is that he took up residence in the area he thought he would begin work which cost him 300 euro for a deposit and 300 euro for a months rent not to mention expences.

i dont accept that the condition of acceptance was having a licence since the conditions of acceptance had changed since the employer became aware that his licence application was pending. having a licence was no longer a condition of acceptance once the job was offered to him.

i doubht he would have the money to see a solicitor.
    the thing that annoys him the most is that he took up residence in the area he thought he would begin work which cost him 300 euro for a deposit and 300 euro for a months rent not to mention expences.

i dont accept that the condition of acceptance was having a licence since the conditions of acceptance had changed since the employer became aware that his licence application was pending. having a licence was no longer a condition of acceptance once the job was offered to him.

Maybe give one a ring? In my experience most solicitors have no problem chatting on the phone for 5 minutes and basically telling you if you have a case or not. Remember if he wins, the other side usually pays for his legal costs too...

Maybe give one a ring? In my experience most solicitors have no problem chatting on the phone for 5 minutes and basically telling you if you have a case or not. Remember if he wins, the other side usually pays for his legal costs too...

In terms of employment law, legal costs are generally not awarded unless you go through the courts. Rights Commissioners, Employment Appeals Tribunal and Equality Authroity do not grant legal costs even if you are successful.

Advertisement