Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Drink Bargain Alerts!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

BenThere wrote: »
    Two reasons:-

1. Why should they charge less than people are willing to pay?
    2. Non Alcohol beers sell in very low volumes. In one day Tesco might sell 20 four packs of (for example) Beer XXX which is a normal strength widely sold beer which has to be sold at a competitive price with each pack generating €1 in profit. A non alcohol beer occupying the same amount of shelf space might sell 5 packs on the same day thus motivating Tesco to seek €4 profit a pack in order to generate the same level of profit from the same shelf space that beer XXX generates.

Ben

That makes sense actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

Amber Ella 4 for €10 in Bradley's, not bad at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Amber Ella 4 for €10 in Bradley's, not bad at all.

Should they be more than 2.50e anyway?? Great beer but they are only 330ml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

k people always say most of the price at the point of sale goes on government excise,how the hell can they justify charging that much for a product containing no alcohol?

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/excise/duties/excise-duty-rates.html

Excise on beer is 22.55 per hectolitre per % alcohol.

That's 22.55 cent per litre, or 11.275cent per 50cl can/bottle per % alcohol.

For a 4.3% beer, the excise is 48.5 cent per 50cl

For a 4.3% pint, it's 55cent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

I'm sure you are all aware of the franzkaner wheat beer being 4 bottles for a fiver in lidl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Wasn't on sale in Lidl Citywest yesterday or if it was there was no sign up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Wasn't on sale in Lidl Citywest yesterday or if it was there was no sign up

I think it was. It might not have been labeled correctly but all them charge the same. Picked 12 bottles up for 15 euro in leixlip yesterday. Never tasted it before, hope it's nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Yes, its a lovely beer alright, thats why I went to Lidl when I heard about the deal but the price was 1.89, no sign of a deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Yes, its a lovely beer alright, thats why I went to Lidl when I heard about the deal but the price was 1.89, no sign of a deal.

Did you not bring a bottle to the checkout to see what they were actually charging as opposed to what the shelf label said? :eek:

If I'd spent 5 minutes going out of my way to suss out a deal like that I wouldn't leave without checking what they were actually charging!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Seems to be a regular feature with this offer that some stores don't have it marked up. They should all scan at the correct price though

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

adamski8 wrote: »
    Should they be more than 2.50e anyway?? Great beer but they are only 330ml

They are usually €2.79. I don't think that's too bad (not great either), considering I usually spend over €3 for a 330ml of craft from UK, USA etc.
    Would be fantastic if they made it a regular, might drop the price too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Franziskaner 4 for 5 euro again in lidl.until 6th of April.
    Discount at till, I got 8 bottles yesterday for €10 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rudboy

emo72 wrote: »
    I think it was. It might not have been labeled correctly but all them charge the same. Picked 12 bottles up for 15 euro in leixlip yesterday. Never tasted it before, hope it's nice!

In there today, no deal on for some reason, picked up 3 anyway :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

rudboy wrote: »

defo still on, picked up err a few yesterday :) was in killarney though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

As far as I know this always happens, it's 4 for 5 and comes up as a deal at the till whether it's advertised in the store or not, if you only get 2 or 3 they scan at full price!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rudboy

2ndcoming wrote: »
    As far as I know this always happens, it's 4 for 5 and comes up as a deal at the till whether it's advertised in the store or not, if you only get 2 or 3 they scan at full price!

Well that's bloody annoying:mad:

Well that's bloody annoying:mad:

Take it out on them by going back and stocking up tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Take it out on them by going back and stocking up tomorrow!

Yes, let them profit from your mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I doubt very much they are making a profit on selling these at 4 for a fiver, surly a loss leader

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I doubt very much they are making a profit on selling these at 4 for a fiver, surly a loss leader

Dunno, they have pretty big buying power. Economies of scale and all that.

That's the extent of my business knowledge though so we can flip a coin between loss leaders and economies of scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I imagine the breweries sell to supermarkets at cheap prices on the condition that it is sold cheaper to customers. This is why I reckon you get such big discounts on 24xcans at christmas of the big brands. Its little different to handing out vouchers for products like pizzas or chicken nuggets.

They investigated below cost selling of beer in the UK market a year or so ago, as an alternative to introducting minimum pricing. It was found that only a few obscure low volume selling beers were sold below cost. This must have infuriated all the publicans who could then get no-one to believe their bullshit stories/claims of how they cannot compete due to rife below cost selling, and why their prices are so high. I imagine its a similar thing here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Dunno, they have pretty big buying power. Economies of scale and all that.

That's the extent of my business knowledge though so we can flip a coin between loss leaders and economies of scale.

Considering that type of beer usually sells for 80/90 cents a bottle in Germany, it's possible that they're making a similar profit to German supermarkets, with the 30/40 cent difference going on transport costs.

Either way it's without doubt the best deal on decent beer we regularly see in this country, gonna hit them up for a case on the way home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Vratislar Czech Lager is 1.29 per 500ml bottle in Tesco.

Working through a couple now...very nice I think, crisp and fresh! Good price too, was going to get a few Tiger (two for a fiver) but was swayed by the price difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

SamAK wrote: »
    Vratislar Czech Lager is 1.29 per 500ml bottle in Tesco.

Working through a couple now...very nice I think, crisp and fresh! Good price too, was going to get a few Tiger (two for a fiver) but was swayed by the price difference.

I remember it was 95c :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Bushmills 10 Year Old €38 in Dunnes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Dungarvan Black Rock is currently a pleasing 4 for €10 in Supervalu at the minute. Other selected craft brews are €2.50 each, including O'Hara's Red and Curim and some Well's and Young brews.

lidl balbriggan franziskaner €1.99 500 ml bottle,went into buy perlenbacher came out with these instead.The perlenbacher has jumped in price,And is now priced at €7.49 for six

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

In Tesco got 8 x 500 ml Guinness for 11 yo yoes. Works out about 1.38 per can. Not bad me thinks

• Advertisement

In Tesco got 8 x 500 ml Guinness for 11 yo yoes. Works out about 1.38 per can. Not bad me thinks

That's not bad,when those 8 packs of draught came out they were 14 or 15 quid no matter where you bought them,may is only around the corner and Guinness sales probably drop around now and cider sales Will probably start to rise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Is there not a "bad drink bargain alerts" thread? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Is there not a "bad drink bargain alerts" thread? :pac:

I have no particular love for Guinness but very few people would describe it as a bad beer unless it's to get a reaction from Guinness drinkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Guinness Extra Stout is a much nicer beer than Guinness Draught.

I had a Dark Arts Porter recently, wasn't impressed, I would have preferred a GES to it.

Edit: the only time I've ever seen GES on offer is at Christmas in Dunnes or Tesco with a slab of 24 offer. Normally you can expect to pay well over 2 euro for a can or bottle, which is too much for what it is and is rather galling when you often see multipacks of draught Guinness going for 1.50 a can on offer.

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I have no particular love for Guinness but very few people would describe it as a bad beer unless it's to get a reaction from Guinness drinkers.

Guinness Draught is a bad beer, by far the blandest "stout" on the market.

Extra Stout is a different matter.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Guinness Draught is a bad beer, by far the blandest "stout" on the market.

Extra Stout is a different matter.

Just because something is bland, does it necessarily mean it's "bad"?

Just because something is bland, does it necessarily mean it's "bad"?

Ah here, by that logic Coors and Bud aren't bad beers either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ah here, by that logic Coors and Bud aren't bad beers either.

They're not though. They're inoffensive and bland. A bad beer is a beer you couldn't drink because it tastes awful.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    They're not though. They're inoffensive and bland. A bad beer is a beer you couldn't drink because it tastes awful.

Is bland not a bad quality?

• Advertisement

Not really. It's all about personal preference. Whether us beer snobs like it or not, most people prefer bland inoffensive beer, doesn't make it a bad beer though.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Not really. It's all about personal preference. Whether us beer snobs like it or not, most people prefer bland inoffensive beer, doesn't make it a bad beer though.

I'd argue it is, in the same way a bland steak is not a good steak.

In the context of this thread, no one is clicking here to find cheap slabs of Bud and Coors, and I'd include Guinness in that lot too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'd say Guinness is simply average.

It wouldn't really be fair to say that it's bad, there's not much actually wrong with it. It's just not really very good either.

And you're entitled to argue that, although it doesn't say you're correct. ;)

In the context of this thread, no one is clicking here to find cheap slabs of Bud and Coors, and I'd include Guinness in that lot too.
    Eh maybe, maybe not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Plenty of people eat steak well done though. Not everyone drinks beer to have a taste 'experience'. Plenty drink it for refreshment, for a buzz or to wash down their greasy BBQ ribs. Im sure there are enthusiasts of fancy lemonade who are aghast at people drinking 7up too.

drumswan wrote: »
    Plenty of people eat steak well done though. Not everyone drinks beer to have a taste 'experience'. Plenty drink it for refreshment, for a buzz or to wash down their greasy BBQ ribs. Im sure there are enthusiasts of fancy lemonade who are aghast at people drinking 7up too.

7up doesn't claim to be lemonade, to be fair. :P

• Advertisement

Depends on the drinker I suppose. For Paddy who intends on shovelling away 15 pints of a Friday night, bland is probably a good thing! I'd regard a 'bad' beer as one that tends towards undrinkable. I'm not really a draught Guinness drinker (Foreign Extra more my style really), but I'd hardly call it bad - I'd have no problem drinking it if I had to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

ninja900 wrote: »
    Guinness Extra Stout is a much nicer beer than Guinness Draught.

I had a Dark Arts Porter recently, wasn't impressed, I would have preferred a GES to it.

Edit: the only time I've ever seen GES on offer is at Christmas in Dunnes or Tesco with a slab of 24 offer. Normally you can expect to pay well over 2 euro for a can or bottle, which is too much for what it is and is rather galling when you often see multipacks of draught Guinness going for 1.50 a can on offer.

Yes, the draught is often on offer, but I never see Guinness ES on offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah true, there is nothing better then a cold crisp boring larger in a sunny country over say an IPA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

What defines bad etc etc. Well it doesnt matter as its not the 'anything but bad drink thread' its the 'good drink' thread...so yes i think guinness, coors etc shouldnt be included :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

adamski8 wrote: »
    What defines bad etc etc. Well it doesnt matter as its not the 'anything but bad drink thread' its the 'good drink' thread...so yes i think guinness, coors etc shouldnt be included :)

What defines "good"? Personal preference? Quality of ingredients? Consistency of production? High scores on blind testing?

Surely "good" is entirely subjective. What you and I consider good (personally I find IPA's like Brew Dog's Punk IPA to be very good) may be considered by someone else as pure pi$$ in preference for their love of Bavaria lager!!!

Live and let live.

• Advertisement
Advertisement