Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Drink Bargain Alerts!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The Gauloise Blonde was OK, I suppose; best served cold, not as good as other Blondes I've had such as Affligem. Very drinkable on a hot summer day, I would think - I don't actually know, since it's weeks since we had one of those.

Now I've gone to the other extreme of the range: the Corsendonk Pater Dubbel. The bottle tries to make it look like an Abbey ale, and it's even called Abbey Brown in the USA, but it's actually brewed by Bocq too. I like it quite a bit, it makes me think of Newcastle Brown Ale, but more refined. I thought it might be too heavy for summer, but it's not. Also €7.99 for 4 bottles. Scores 89 on Beer Advocate.

Lidl has a couple more of the Bocq Gauloise beers, the Amber and the Brown, at the same price, as well as the Petrus Dubbel Bruin. I found a description of the new beer range here. Hope they keep them in long enough for me to try a few more - I'm not a big drinker, plus I'm on a budget ...

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Groupon are back again with 8 craft beers and a copy of Ferment Magazine for €15.99

EDIT: this is a subscription that'll need to be cancelled if you don't want to keep getting charged for the magazine. There's also a delivery charge...

https://www.groupon.ie/deals/gg-beer-52-2?utm_campaign=UserReferral&utm_medium=email&utm_source=deal_ita

Beers in the Box:
    O’Haras Stout 330ml 4.3%
    De Molen Op and Top 330ml 4.5%
    Wiper and True Citra and Sevens 330ml 6.3%
    To Øil - Garden of Eden 330ml 6.4%
    Four Pure - Northern Lattitude 330ml 7.4%
    Black Isle - Gold Finch 330ml 3.5%
    Fullers - Frontier Lager 330ml 4.5%
    Rebel Brewing 80 Shilling 500ml 5%

I recognise the O' Hara's of course and would know the names of Rebel Brewing and Fullers, anyone know if the others are worth trying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

To Ol stuff has been decent when I had it - Spar in Ballymun had a rake of Danish stuff from them and Coisbo in a year or so ago. Probably still do, getting ever further out of date like is normal there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Sleepy wrote: »
    Groupon are back again with 8 craft beers and a copy of Ferment Magazine for €15.99.

https://www.groupon.ie/deals/gg-beer-52-2?utm_campaign=UserReferral&utm_medium=email&utm_source=deal_ita

Beers in the Box:
    O’Haras Stout 330ml 4.3%

I recognise the O' Hara's of course and would know the names of Rebel Brewing and Fullers, anyone know if the others are worth trying?

It's not a copy of the magazine it's a subscription so be careful

Sorry, should have pointed that out!

Post Edited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

4 x 330ml pack of Francis' Big Bangin IPA in Tesco E7. Assuming this is a good price as my local normally has craft at 4 for 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Southern Comfort reduced to €20 in Tesco, until 05/8.

The label looks weird, like a joke label, but it must be the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

Cobra large 660ml bottles currently 4 for €9 in Tesco.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

imme wrote: »
    Southern Comfort reduced to €20 in Tesco, until 05/8.

The label looks weird, like a joke label, but it must be the real thing.

Same in supervalu going by my local

• Advertisement

That label is a repro of an older label, I believe. Changed a while ago. Still muck you can recreate cheaper though.

Groupon are back again with 8 craft beers and a copy of Ferment Magazine for €15.99

EDIT: this is a subscription that'll need to be cancelled if you don't want to keep getting charged for the magazine. There's also a delivery charge...

Beers in the Box:
    O’Haras Stout 330ml 4.3%

Once you sign up to the Beer 52 website, there's an option to add an extra 2 beers per month to your subscription and the first month is free so I went for that.

My box arrived today and some of the contents are a little different than advertised but not in a bad way. 8 33cl beers, 2 500ml bottles, a magazine and a small bag of crisps. Never got hit with the delivery charge either so it worked out at €1.60 a bottle for 10 craft brews (only one I'm familiar with is the Blacks KPA that it included but it'd give you an idea of the quality).

You'd want to make sure to cancel the subscription as otherwise it's €40 a month which at €5 a beer is way too much imo. Great deal through GroupOn though (it still seems to be available too!).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

(only one I'm familiar with is the Blacks KPA that it included but it'd give you an idea of the quality).

I'd check the date. I got an email from Beer52 the other day offering cans of Blacks KPA that go out of date in September for £1.50...

I have heard a few people say that Beer52 are prone to buying short dated stock but I've not actually experienced it yet.

Bulleit 36 in obriens. Not a fantastic price but decent enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭cython

The regular €2.99 for 750ml bottles of Leffe and Hoegaarden seems to be back on in my local Lidl, for those interested

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭earlytobed

cython wrote: »
    The regular €2.99 for 750ml bottles of Leffe and Hoegaarden seems to be back on in my local Lidl, for those interested

Always a little bonus when I spot the large bottles of Leffe when I'm in Lidl.
    Truly amber Nectar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Coomara fruit poitin is 15 euro in tesco ballybrack. There was no yellow offer label, I reckon it was not selling and they are getting rid of it so is probably not in all tescos, if any others at all.

700ml 40%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭cython

Trouble Brewing Dark Arts Porter and Graffiti Pale Ale 1.89 and 1.99 a bottle respectively in Lidl until the 28th, down from their regular ~3 euro

I swear I'm not a Lidl shill, they're just having a good few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Trouble Brewing Dark Arts Porter and Graffiti Pale Ale 1.89 and 1.99 a bottle respectively in Lidl until the 28th, down from their regular ~3 euro

Bought a few Dark Arts today as it's a good price. Was wondering about the BBD but it's Nov 2016 on the ones I got.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Dark Arts is fairly bulletproof, though. It's not a beer I'd worry about dates with.

Either this isn't store wide or the Headford Road in Galway hasn't got round to changing the price.

All were still 2.99 earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Either this isn't store wide or the Headford Road in Galway hasn't got round to changing the price.

All were still 2.99 earlier.

Yeah in Carlow here the dark arts was the low price but not the pale ale. Prefer the sabotage pale ale in any case but would have settled for the graffiti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Paddy 700mL €20 in Tesco.

Leffe 330mL x4 €6.00 in Dunnes.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Canadian 500ml can x 24 for €24 in Tesco Ballybrack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I think this thread has lost its way slightly. The last two posts have Canadian muck and bog standard paint stripper Paddy as examples of "good drink".

No. Just no.

Paddy do good whiskey but their bog standard one is only useful for a hot whiskey and at that it's a push.

Canadian is just muck. Plain and simple.

Personally I expect good drink deals to be the likes of good craft beer and the more expensive spirits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I think this thread has lost its way slightly. The last two posts have Canadian muck and bog standard paint stripper Paddy as examples of "good drink".

No. Just no.

Paddy do good whiskey but their bog standard one is only useful for a hot whiskey and at that it's a push.

Canadian is just muck. Plain and simple.

Personally I expect good drink deals to be the likes of good craft beer and the more expensive spirits.

And others may just like to snap up a bargain when they see it. "Good" drink is entirely subjective. Paddy wouldn't be my first choice of whiskey but I don't look to drink the finest single malts every night.

Similarly with the beer, I'll keep a stack of standard beer in case I randomly decide I want one with a pizza or a Chinese, or the lads are coming over for football etc. I don't really want to stock up on expensive craft beer that will just go to waste. If a bargain comes up at the right time that saves me a few quid, then great.

If you've no interest in what's posted, just move along.

And others may just like to snap up a bargain when they see it. "Good" drink is entirely subjective. Paddy wouldn't be my first choice of whiskey but I don't look to drink the finest single malts every night.

Similarly with the beer, I'll keep a stack of standard beer in case I randomly decide I want one with a pizza or a Chinese, or the lads are coming over for football etc. I don't really want to stock up on expensive craft beer that will just go to waste. If a bargain comes up at the right time that saves me a few quid, then great.

Whatever about the whiskey he has a point on the beer.

There's always some sort of bargain on those junk 24 can/bottle offerings so they don't really need to be highlighted.

The title is "Good Drink" and most who've tried a range of quality beers know good and multipack don't go together.

There's another thread for those beers where people post he likes of carlsberg and bud etc.. That's where Canadian belongs and in my opinion same on the whiskey front.

There has to be some sort of divide here or the two threads may as well be merged into "cheap booze".

Here's a link to the other thread for those who like that sort of thing.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057168220/1/#post89444274

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Whatever about the whiskey he has a point on the beer.

There's always some sort of bargain on those junk 24 can/bottle offerings so they don't really need to be highlighted.

The title is "Good Drink" and most who've tried a range of quality beers know good and multipack don't go together.

No, the title is "Good Drink Bargain". That can be interpreted as good bargains on drink, i.e. booze rather than bargains on what is subjectively seemed "good" drink. Next time someone posts up a bargain to do with some craft beer, I could just as easily turn round and object based on the exact same premise that I think that beer is ****e and prefer a can of Guinness.

Seriously, if it's not of interest to you, then ignore it.

No, the title is "Good Drink Bargain". That can be interpreted as good bargains on drink, i.e. booze rather than bargains on what is subjectively seemed "good" drink. Next time someone posts up a bargain to do with some craft beer, I could just as easily turn round and object based on the exact same premise that I think that beer is ****e and prefer a can of Guinness.

Seriously, if it's not of interest to you, then ignore it.

Why is there two threads then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Its probably easy to interpret the thread title wrongly alright.
    Could we change the thread title to 'Good Drink' Bargain Alerts!

The Bargain Alerts forum is probably the best place for cheap booze, it wont get tutted at there.

• Advertisement

slayerking wrote: »
    Its probably easy to interpret the thread title wrongly alright.
    Could we change the thread title to 'Good Drink' Bargain Alerts!

The Bargain Alerts forum is probably the best place for cheap booze, it wont get tutted at there.

Nothing to do with tutting. Each to their own and all that. If you like bud or Canadian fine.

But there are two separate threads for a reason.

Imo this thread was initially intended to be for people looking more on the craft side of the house or more expensive spirits but with a bit of a discount.

For example a few bottles of Galway Bay beer or a 10 year old bottle of Bushmills.

The other thread then for your bottles of bud or standard paddy or Bushmills etc..

Otherwise there's no point at all in having two separate threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

There's a Craft Brew Offers thread in Bargain Alerts as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Anyone got any tips on Craft Beer Can bargains - heading to the Electric Picnic this weekend. Best deal I've noticed online is the All Night Long session IPA in Molloys at €10 for 5 - lots of craft cans for €2.50 floating about but hoping for 24 cans for about €40 if possible. Unlikely to happen but who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Nothing to do with tutting. Each to their own and all that. If you like bud or Canadian fine.

But there are two separate threads for a reason.

Imo this thread was initially intended to be for people looking more on the craft side of the house or more expensive spirits but with a bit of a discount.

For example a few bottles of Galway Bay beer or a 10 year old bottle of Bushmills.

The other thread then for your bottles of bud or standard paddy or Bushmills etc..

Otherwise there's no point at all in having two separate threads.

100 % agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Thread title could be changed to 'Premium' and the other to 'Bland'. :)

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Thread title could be changed to 'Premium' and the other to 'Bland'. :)

Drink companies have ruined the term "Premium"... Every can from Dutch Cold to Bavaria notes how its "Premium Imported Beer". :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

SO the wine guy on newstalk was blabbering on about a special offer in O' Briens for 'Ars Invitro' (Spanish wine!). It was 17.95 but they dropped it down to €10....
    It's sold out in blackrock so I happened to be passing by Templeogue and said I'd give it a shot and they still have about 8 bottles left.

Well worth a buy for a tenner (if even to keep for a christmas present). Nice enough to drink on it's own but really a glugable drink with steak or spicy Asian food...

destacada-invitro.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    SO the wine guy on newstalk was blabbering on about a special offer in O' Briens for 'Ars Invitro' (Spanish wine!). It was 17.95 but they dropped it down to €10....
    It's sold out in blackrock so I happened to be passing by Templeogue and said I'd give it a shot and they still have about 8 bottles left.

Well worth a buy for a tenner (if even to keep for a christmas present). Nice enough to drink on it's own but really a glugable drink with steak or spicy Asian food...

destacada-invitro.jpg

€14.95 online

€14.95 online

Sorry, meant to say, they Newstalk guy said they were extending it for another week instore because he was reviewing it on the radio. maybe ring the shop before you go out of your way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Still a good few in Glasnevin branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Richie71

Brewers & Union's Friday IPA, Sunday Pale Ale and Unfit Lager all 4 for a tenner in Dunnes. Well, my local anyway. ;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

SO the wine guy on newstalk was blabbering on about a special offer in O' Briens for 'Ars Invitro' (Spanish wine!). It was 17.95 but they dropped it down to 10....

destacada-invitro.jpg

14.95 online

I just picked up two of these in Lucan just now, it was marked 14.95

I asked about the offer, the lady checked and I ended up getting them for 10 euro each.

I just picked up two of these in Lucan just now, it was marked 14.95

I asked about the offer, the lady checked and I ended up getting them for 10 euro each.

Fair play. I'd say the offer is over by now... although it was supposed to be anyhow!

Out of interest Would you still buy it if it was for €14.95?

I think the name does it no favours though.

Against the Grain are turning 6 and are selling GBB pints for €2.10 for one hour starting at 20:10 tomorrow (the time they opened).

Wonder would they do growler fills at those prices?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

irish_goat wrote: »
    Against the Grain are turning 6 and are selling GBB pints for €2.10 for one hour starting at 20:10 tomorrow (the time they opened).

Just ATG or all the GBB bars?

Just ATG or all the GBB bars?

Just ATG.

destacada-invitro.jpg

Back on Newstalk again special offer €10 in o'briens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

irish_goat wrote: »

Didn't McDowell the minister for no-fun outlaw discounted drink from on-licences some years ago? Is that still in force?

Scrap the cap!

Didn't McDowell the minister for no-fun outlaw discounted drink from on-licences some years ago? Is that still in force?

Yes and yes. Think that going up in price later is allowed but not down, though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement