Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Drink Bargain Alerts!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

IIRC there's a loophole. The law basically says that you can't sell a drink below the first price charged for it that day. So pubs will sometimes open, one barman will sell another a drink at the low price (€2.10 in this case), setting the baseline for that day. They can then sell the drink at normal pricing all day, and drop down to €2.10 again for the promotion.

There was a bit of an outcry when pubs were first found to be doing this, and talk of changing the law. I don't really remember what happened, but I'm guessing the law wasn't changed and that pubs voluntarily don't do this, except for special occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's entirely plausible (and McDowell's law drafters weren't the best based on other things we've discovered since - though I don't think he was responsible for the day of legal drugs); suspect its such an edge case and so unlikely to be used regularly its not worth fixing.

If places started doing it with any regularity, it'd be stopped.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Reminds me there was a bar in Galway doing a promo during the Germany v Brazil world cup match. 50c off Erdinger or Brahma if their respective nations scored. Pints of Erdinger ended up costing 50c. Not sure if that complied with the law but sure pubs will always get away with it if they're one off promos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

stevenmu wrote: »
    So pubs will sometimes open, one barman will sell another a drink at the low price (€2.10 in this case), setting the baseline for that day. They can then sell the drink at normal pricing all day, and drop down to €2.10 again for the promotion.
    Are you saying they can drop to €2.10 on the same day, or the next day?
    There was a bit of an outcry when pubs were first found to be doing this
    outcry from who? any media links or forum links?

Pubs have been increasing the price of drink close to midnight for donkeys years, there is nothing new about selling drink cheaper ealier in the day for a limited time. This is the only sort of complaints I have heard, people asking if its legal to raise prices around midnight.

I never heard of, nor could I imagine anyone complaining about finding a way around the "happy hour law". Except maybe a pissed off lawmaker, but it seemed an unpopular law and not really a big deal as happy hours are not that popular/common anyway.

There are other loopholes, like if you open at noon but want happy hour at 6-7pm you simply claim you are out of stock of the cheaper drink all day until you hit 6pm, and then magically run out when it hits 7pm. You could have an unpopular beer or vodka on offer so regular drinkers will not be upset at it "being out of stock".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

IIRC there's a loophole. The law basically says that you can't sell a drink below the first price charged for it that day. So pubs will sometimes open, one barman will sell another a drink at the low price (€2.10 in this case), setting the baseline for that day. They can then sell the drink at normal pricing all day, and drop down to €2.10 again for the promotion.

Not exactly how that law works, Overall people are openly just flouting the happy hour laws.

Prices must only rise, not fall ever even back to original level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

There is definitely a loophole, sure look at Dicey's with a different price for drinks every day of the week.

I think they can charge what they want as long as they stick to it for that day, they just can't have a Happy Hour like you see in nearly every other country where prices are reduced around end of work time to tempt punters in then jacked back up to full price when the hook is in.

All day offers were never blocked.

The intent was to stop people pouring the cheaper stuff down just before the price went up; although they still allowed prices to go up meaning this doesn't have any impact...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Less waffle, more bargains please!

Supervalu craft beers (have to click "see all")
    https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/category/150200596

main stream beers
    https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/wine-beer-spirits-lager/c-150302375

from this page below you have to keep clicking, "show all" etc to really see all offers, only a few are shown at the top level
    https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/specialoffers?categoryId=150100075

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Johnny Drama_11

Supervalu have 4 for €10 on Leann Folláin.

O'Briens (I was in in the one in Blanchardstown) have 4 for €10 on Trouble Brewing (Dark Arts Porter, Sabotage India Pale Ale, Deception Golden Ale & Graffiti Session Pale Ale)

• Advertisement

McCanns cider is down to e2(from e3) in my local Lidl.

My local Dunnes has the Blacks of Kinsale range down to 4 for e9 including, most importantly, Rocketship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

My local Dunnes has the Blacks of Kinsale range down to 4 for e9 including, most importantly, Rocketship.
    Also true of the the O'Haras range, including Leann Folainn, IPA, Red etc. A good deal at €2.25/bottle. Also Sierra Nevada for €2/bottle and Pilsner Urquell, also for €2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Also Sierra Nevada for €2/bottle
    That's a really good price. Must stock up for Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

BaZmO* wrote: »
    That's a really good price. Must stock up for tonight

FYP! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭prodsc

Selected Tesco stores til Sunday;

1 Litre
    Smirnoff, Gordon's ,Capt Morgan & Bacardi €20
    Slabs Heineken, Guinness and Bud €20.

stores include Dundalk extra/ Drogheda extra/Letterkenny sq/Monaghan/Longwalk Dundalk/Bettystown/Cavan/Balbriggan/Sligo/Drogheda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

I want to buy and send my friend (he lives in Dublin, I am in the UK) a few nice beers for a gift....probably 6 or 8 beers? Can anyone suggest the best place to order from? I have used O'Briens before for wine delivery for a similar job, but I want to make sure I am getting the best bang for my buck!

O'Briens or Drinkstore probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

My local Dunnes have 4 pack of Leffe for 6 euro. Decent price considering its normally around the 9/10 mark.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Bobby42 wrote: »
    My local Dunnes have 4 pack of Leffe for 6 euro. Decent price considering its normally around the 9/10 mark.

Been that price for some time now. Hoegaarden too. And with the shop & save vouchers, it works out at as little as €4.80 a pack which is a steal.

Tesco in Northern Ireland have Punk IPA 4 for £5. Handy for anyone living up that way or making a trip up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Time to give back..
    May be limited to certain stores
    Galway SC tesco - Glenfiddich 12 no price on shelf, scanning with an asterisk (usually means it is Clearance) 25 euro!
    Have not seen it on the shelves there before. About 4 left just now.

Porterhouse Central is selling Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale for €4 as their beer of the day. Not sure what year it is from but that's a bargain anyway. Normally €5 in off licences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

irish_goat wrote: »
    Porterhouse Central is selling Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale for €4 as their beer of the day. Not sure what year it is from but that's a bargain anyway. Normally €5 in off licences.

Great price for any year tbh, especially considering it's bar prices. Although you wouldn't have more than a couple at a sitting.

Tesco in Northern Ireland have Punk IPA 4 for £5. Handy for anyone living up that way or making a trip up north.

Just to add to the below;

Brewdog
    5am Saint - £1.75 - 330ml bottle.
    Kingpin lager - £1.75 - 330ml bottle.
    Vagabond - £1.99 - 330ml bottle.
    Elvis Juice - £1.85 - 330ml bottle.
    Dead Pony Club - 4 cans for £6 or £1.75 - 330ml bottle.
    Blackheart stout - £1.75 - 330ml bottle.
    Mr President (re-named Hardcore IPA I think) - £2.19 - 330ml bottle.

• Advertisement

My local Dunnes (Donaghmede) have Sweetwater IPA for €1.75 a bottle and Sweetwater blue for €1.50 a bottle.

The 4 for €9 was still available and Sierra Nevada was still on offer at €2 a bottle.

My local Dunnes (Donaghmede) have Sweetwater IPA for €1.75 a bottle and Sweetwater blue for €1.50 a bottle.

The 4 for €9 was still available and Sierra Nevada was still on offer at €2 a bottle.

The two nearest to me have the Sierra Nevada and general 4 for e9 but the only one with Sweetwater have it 4 for e10 which is nowhere near as appealing for 330ml bottles.

I'm eager to try it though so I'll likely give it a look at either way but I'd load up on them at 4 for e7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭laros

Sweetwater IPA for €1.75 a bottle and Sweetwater blue for €1.50 a bottle.
    It was the same in both Dunnes in Tullamore at the weekend but be aware its short dated stock BBE Dec 2016

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

O'Hara's have a tidy 8 bottle box set out for the Christmas. One of each of their mainstays plus Leann Follain and 2 bottles of their IPA's; you are looking at €21 (I think) for the set and a handy present for many of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

O'Hara's have a tidy 8 bottle box set out for the Christmas. One of each of their mainstays plus Leann Follain and 2 bottles of their IPA's; you are looking at €21 (I think) for the set and a handy present for many of us.

Meh, currently you can get 8 Leann Follain for 18 in Dunnes, Mcgargles have a similar box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Meh, currently you can get 8 Leann Follain for 18 in Dunnes, Mcgargles have a similar box.

I know I know but it's aimed at the average man on the street and not real ale twats such as you and I :)

The Mc Gargles box is 12 x 330ml bottle's including Francis Big Bangin IPA and Toothless Decs Brown Ale

laros wrote: »
    The Mc Gargles box is 12 x 330ml bottle's including Francis Big Bangin IPA and Toothless Decs Brown Ale

Yeah but you can buy big banging on its own and manipulate the sample 4 packs to include 4 brown ales, no need to bother with the rest ;-)

Brown ales only seem to be available in the 12 pack sealed selection boxes

laros wrote: »
    Brown ales only seem to be available in the 12 pack sealed selection boxes

I've seen them in the 4 packs, Supervalu and Dunnes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I think there's an O'Haras gift pack out that has a bottle of their anniversary stout and a snifter glass. Has anybody spotted this in the shops?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

I think there's an O'Haras gift pack out that has a bottle of their anniversary stout and a snifter glass. Has anybody spotted this in the shops?

Yes, saw this in a SuperValu in Galway. 330ml bottle of the stout with a glass. I didn't get it, but I think it was being sold for a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Saw this in the paper this morning

Bottles of Jameson
    • Super Valu for €21
    • Tesco for €20

Pretty amazing price tbh, haven't seen them that low in a very very long time. Only €20 in Tesco until Saturday though I think, so stock up! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Flex wrote: »

Bottles of Jameson
    • Super Valu for €21
    • Tesco for €20

Pretty amazing price tbh, haven't seen them that low in a very very long time. Only €20 in Tesco until Saturday though I think, so stock up! :D

14 here in Spain :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Bottles of Jameson
    • Super Valu for €21
    • Tesco for €20

Great price for a hot whisky/Irish coffee whiskey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Bottles of Jameson
    • Super Valu for €21
    • Tesco for €20

I was in SuperValu today, and 70cl Jameson was €19

14 here in Spain :)
    I wonder what it would be if they made the same profit here, i.e. that spanish price could be quite high for what it is, so retailers there could be making far more.

At €19, that is €15.45 before VAT.

Jameson is 40% and 700ml

duty is €42.57 per litre of alcohol in the spirits, so is €11.92.

So to just break even (ignoring other overheads) they would want to get the whiskey for €3.53.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭romperstomper

pa990 wrote: »
    I was in SuperValu today, and 70cl Jameson was €19

Just back from SuperValu in Raheny and it is advertised at 25e and scanning at 21e

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

In Dunnes Beacon last night. The following were on 4 for €9 (May have been more but none that interested me)

Trouble Brewing Deception Golden Ale
    Trouble Brewing Sabotage IPA
    O'Haras Leann Follain
    O'Haras Stout
    O'Haras Red
    O'Haras Pale Ale
    O'Haras Notorious Red IPA
    Blacks of Kinsale Pale Ale
    Blacks of Kinsale Black IPA
    Blacks of Kinsale Rocketship IPA

Personally picked up: 4 Sabotage IPA, 8 Leann Follain, 4 Blacks KPA, 4 Blacks BIPA, 4 Blacks Rocketship

24 bottles of great Irish Craft beer for 44 euro (had a tenner Dunnes voucher) - Great Success!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

In Dunnes Beacon last night. The following were on 4 for €9 (May have been more but none that interested me)

Trouble Brewing Deception Golden Ale
    Trouble Brewing Sabotage IPA
    O'Haras Leann Follain
    O'Haras Stout
    O'Haras Red
    O'Haras Pale Ale
    O'Haras Notorious Red IPA
    Blacks of Kinsale Pale Ale
    Blacks of Kinsale Black IPA
    Blacks of Kinsale Rocketship IPA

Personally picked up: 4 Sabotage IPA, 8 Leann Follain, 4 Blacks KPA, 4 Blacks BIPA, 4 Blacks Rocketship

24 bottles of great Irish Craft beer for 44 euro (had a tenner Dunnes voucher) - Great Success!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭poitinstill

Not sure it qualifies..groupon 24 x 500ml cans of random german beer to your door for 29.99.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Green Spot Whiskey in Fresh Grand Canal Square in Dublin for €49

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Not sure it qualifies..groupon 24 x 500ml cans of random german beer to your door for 29.99.

Quite likely to be seized by customs, these days.

Quite likely to be seized by customs, these days.

The best before date is March 2017 for all their beer cases as well so the beers probably aren't the freshest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭poitinstill

If its seized how are groupon.ie allowed offer it. Got a message to say it has been dispatched. If it gets stopped surely I get a refund off groupon.

Advertisement