Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Drink Bargain Alerts!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,700 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

You're not allowed to send alcohol or tobacco through Parcel Motel or any other courier service, please don't post advice on how to do it!!!

Infractions will follow so please don't do it, ok!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭sceach16

Dunnes Beer 1 August Portmarnock

Today I bought Durlacher Weissbier in tins 4 for 5 euro. Bud 500ml tins 8 for 10. Leann follain, OHaras Hop Adventure and Freebird IPA at 4 for 10.

With discount voucher (from grocery shop yesterday), they cost me 1 euro each for the tins and 2 euro each for the various O'Haras.

All 500ml.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

Aldi are running a nationwide wine sale. There's an article about it in today's Irish Times:

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/drink/john-wilson-s-picks-from-the-aldi-wine-sale-1.3176780

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

In some massive Tesco and grabbed 4 330ml O'Hara's pale for €4. Doubt it's nationwide but worth keeping an eye out.

Beer well in date too.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Johnny Drama_11

Tesco in Omni centre dublin selling sunburnt red by 8° for €1.87 a bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Tullamore Dew and Kilbeggan are €23/700mL in Tesco. I can't recall seeing offers like that on these two before, they're usually priced a good bit above the "big 4"

Powers for €20 also - some might say it may not qualify as a "good drink" but it's a cut above Paddy and white label Bushmills, great value at that price. IMHO as good as (but different from) Jameson but the latter is getting the big marketing push and is becoming harder to find on offer. Same as they did years ago when I started drinking, they started hiking up the price of Bulmers to improve the image :rolleyes:

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

RasTa wrote: »
    Beer well in date too.
    They put an 18-month best before on their bottles. For a dry-hopped beer sitting on ambient shelves that's insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

BeerNut wrote: »
    They put an 18-month best before on their bottles. For a dry-hopped beer sitting on ambient shelves that's insane.

18 months? :eek: Maybe that's why I'm not a fan of anything beyond leann folláin. Depending on who you ask, some consider 6 months to be insane.

I feel a bit sorry for them because it's probably at Tesco's insistence, but you do need to read the date carefully and do the maths if you care about hop flavour in your cheapie supermarket IPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

I feel a bit sorry for them because it's probably at Tesco's insistence, but you do need to read the date carefully and do the maths if you care about hop flavour in your cheapie supermarket IPA.

Sorry to hijack slightly but can you explain a bit more?

Is there a "date brewed" on the bottle and it deteriorates if drank more than X months after?

Cheers!

• Advertisement

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Is there a "date brewed" on the bottle
    Not explicitly on O'Hara's, but just count back 18 months from the best-before.
    Fanny **** wrote: »
    and it deteriorates if drank more than X months after?
    Hops deteriorate from the moment they're picked. Best-before dates on hoppy beers are a bit nonsensical really: there's no magical cut-off point. As CR 7 says, six months would be the limit that some brewers say their beer still tastes like itself; others will tell you tell you three. And some of those numbers are based on chilled distribution, it all speeds up if the beer is sitting at room temperature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah it was October 18

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Spotted 12 pack Mcgargles Samplers (in a box) for a fiver in Tesco for anybody that likes them. Fair bit of muck in there (imo obv) but some Rosie and IPA. BBD September 17 although from reading the preceding posts, not sure about the implications of that . :D

Dunnes today - usual O'Haras range 500mL mix and match x4 for €10 including Leann Follain, IPA, Hop Adventure
    Double Bangin' IPA 500mL 8% ABV €3.00

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Lidl has another weekend run on Trouble Brewing bottles; they are a respectable 4 for €10.
    RasTa wrote: »
    In some massive Tesco and grabbed 4 330ml O'Hara's pale for €4. Doubt it's nationwide but worth keeping an eye out.

Beer well in date too.

You are one lying bastard. Got some in in Castlebar and it cost me €4.20; you owe me 60 cent :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭laros

Spotted 12 pack Mcgargles Samplers (in a box) for a fiver in Tesco

this is €10 a box in Tesco tullamore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Lidl has another weekend run on Trouble Brewing bottles; they are a respectable 4 for €10.

Check the dates. I picked up two graffiti pale ales that were BBE Jul 17 :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You must have fairly poor turnover in your local branch then. Haven't checked dates in mine but generally that entire section goes fast and is often out of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

Got 4 myself that were August 18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

L1011 wrote: »
    You must have fairly poor turnover in your local branch then. Haven't checked dates in mine but generally that entire section goes fast and is often out of stock.

Picked up in Lidl in Bray, it's one of the fancy Lidl's with a bakery, would have thought the stock were turn over a bit quicker but hey, I haven't gone blind yet just a disappointment that it was a bit off.

• Advertisement

laros wrote: »
    this is €10 a box in Tesco tullamore

Spotted them yesterday in Tesco again. Picked a few at €5 a box. BBD October and November 2017. Worth picking up as fridge fodder. Francis and Rosie are nice, if obv not the freshest in this case. Brown ale is passable. Never tried the Uncle Jim stout but it's actually OK just not something you'd ever buy at full price with better stuff like GFES or Grafters around the same price point. I'm sure a guest will drink the lager and red ale :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Spotted 12 pack Mcgargles Samplers (in a box) for a fiver in Tesco for anybody that likes them. Fair bit of muck in there (imo obv) but some Rosie and IPA. BBD September 17 although from reading the preceding posts, not sure about the implications of that . :D

Picked up a few from different Tesco's (Clearwater and Corey) but went to Clare hall today and found it to be 10.
    I think the popularity has suddenly spiked and Tesco are reducing the loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I know this isn't an alert, but anyone seen any special offers on cans? Looking to get some for the Electric Picnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Most places would have the usual 4 for 10, not 100% but O'Briens might still have a 6 for 15 on cans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

I know this isn't an alert, but anyone seen any special offers on cans? Looking to get some for the Electric Picnic.

Fresh have Whiplash's new session ipa. Its v nice. 4 for €10.

Proper Job 4 for €10 in my local Dunnes (Donaghmede)

Double Irish by 8° 4 for €10 in Carryout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Nice easy jammy Italian Nero D'Avola in O' Briens for €9something .... marked as half price.
    Would be interested in others opinions.
    427387.jpg

Also they have -sorry to lower the tone :pac: - bottles of savanna cider 4 for €8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Also they have -sorry to lower the tone :pac: - bottles of savanna cider 4 for €8

Awesome cider!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

The other week my Tesco had trapiche fincas malbec marked from €20 down to €8 per bottle

I thought I can't pass this offer by so I picked up 2 bottles
    When I scanned them they came up as €4.80 each
    I felt like I was robbing them

https://www.wine-searcher.com/wine-426728-0001-trapiche-fincas-malbec-uco-valley-argentina

Rascals Wunderbar IPA 330mL cans 4 for €10 in Dunnes.

I usually hate buying beer in 330 cans/bottles because it's such poor value (I'm one of those sad cases who can calculate units per euro in their head) but in honour of the craft beer festival I can't go to this weekend I decided to treat myself. And it's fantastic stuff, easily the best IPA I've had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Rascals Wunderbar IPA 330mL cans 4 for €10 in Dunnes.

I usually hate buying beer in 330 cans/bottles because it's such poor value (I'm one of those sad cases who can calculate units per euro in their head) but in honour of the craft beer festival I can't go to this weekend I decided to treat myself. And it's fantastic stuff, easily the best IPA I've had.
    Lagunitas 12th of Never (330ml cans), is also a fantastic IPA (though a little less local), and is 4 for €10 in Molloys. Some similarities with the wonderful Thornbridge Jaipur (a pint of which can be enjoyed for the princely sum of €2.75 in your local Wetherspoons).

There should be a local Spoons to my workplace in about 2 or 3 years...

Sunburnt red ale by 8° €1.12 per bottle in Tesco clarehall

Tesco - mix and match 4 x 500mL for €10 - Budvar, Galway Hooker ale, Galway Hooker stout, Carrig (but they're rank. :( )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Tesco - mix and match 4 x 500mL for €10 - Budvar, Galway Hooker ale, Galway Hooker stout, Carrig (but they're rank. :( )

I remember the days when they used to be 5 for 10 :(

Sneaky owl by Mountain Man brewing is currently €1.40 a bottle in Tesco Clarehall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Does anyone know if Aldi have permanently stopped selling Boom, or are they just temporarily out of stock? I'm gasping here....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Does anyone know if Aldi have permanently stopped selling Boom, or are they just temporarily out of stock? I'm gasping here....
    I got some last weekend in Carlow

I've seen it in Tesco before as well.

• Advertisement

Hogzy wrote: »
    I remember the days when they used to be 5 for 10 :(

Spaten was 5 for €10 last weekend in Dunnes - think that offer is on all month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭donaghs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

donaghs wrote: »

They mustn't be able to shift those English ales

My local Dunnes has Bartleys Strawbeeri 500mL down from €3.50 to €1. BB 7/11/17. Tried one and it's not bad at all, and only slightly sweet with a little bitterness there to counteract it. These bottles were a bit dusty so it could be just a local offer to clear out stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

They mustn't be able to shift those English ales

As long as they'll have some of the Titanic Plum for when I call in, I'll be glad. That's one beer that's been on my want list for a long time now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭donaghs

As long as they'll have some of the Titanic Plum for when I call in, I'll be glad. That's one beer that's been on my want list for a long time now.

I thought the plum porter was very tasty. I've never seen those other English Ales before in Lidl, but the two I had weren't anything special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Tesco are currently selling Chivas Regal 12 at 30 euros. That 15 off

And Blackbush at 25. Few other bargains as well.

Makers mark is reduced as well .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

From what I seen in Tesco Maynooth
    Jameson
    Crested - 27
    Black Barrel -40

Jack
    Standard -26
    Gentlemen -35 or 40
    Single Barrel -50

Makers Mark -35
    Bulleit -35

then a few more Scotches IIRC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Picked up Redbreast 12 for €55 in Tesco, not too bad, down from their usual €62.70.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Jameson Caskmates (Stout) is 30 In SuperValu at the moment

Combined with recent vouchers you could pick it up quite cheap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement