Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Drink Bargain Alerts!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,296 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

cython wrote: »
    Few decent whiskey offers coming up in Tesco for St. Patrick's day from a brochure in the paper today, starting on the 11th, I think. Jameson Black Barrel, and I think a 10 year both down to €30 as part of it

Intrigued... where is the 10yo from? Scotch or Irish?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭cython

odyssey06 wrote: »

Sorry, 10yo was meant to run on from Jameson, as in it was a Jameson 10 year :o

EDIT: Was reading pre-coffee this AM, and the leaflet has disappeared in the office kitchen so can't double check, so I could be wrong, but black barrel was a definite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭sceach16

Tesco Whiskey from 11 March

Irish....Bushmills 10 yo. Also Black Barrel at 30. Caskmates (IPA) 25, Jameson 23, Powers 20, Roe and Teeling 35

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

sceach16 wrote: »
    Tesco Whiskey from 11 March

Irish....Bushmills 10 yo. Also Black Barrel at 30. Caskmates (IPA) 25, Jameson 23, Powers 20, Roe and Teeling 35

Whats that Jameson Caskmates IPA like?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Hogzy wrote: »
    Whats that Jameson Caskmates IPA like?

It's lovely, quite light refreshing nose, grapefruit taste and a hops influence too.
    Goes very well paired with a Chieftain IPA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭FlicFlak

cython wrote: »
    Few decent whiskey offers coming up in Tesco for St. Patrick's day from a brochure in the paper today, starting on the 11th, I think. Jameson Black Barrel, and I think a 10 year both down to €30 as part of it

Went into Tesco yesterday and they had no offers up. Checked online and the offers only apply if you order online and have it delivered.
    They have Black barrel for 30, Bushmills 10 y/o for 30, Jameson caskmates for 30, Roe & Coe for 35 (same price instore aswell) Connemara for 30. Nice prices but dont have an online account!!

FlicFlak wrote: »
    Went into Tesco yesterday and they had no offers up. Checked online and the offers only apply if you order online and have it delivered.
    They have Black barrel for 30, Bushmills 10 y/o for 30, Jameson caskmates for 30, Roe & Coe for 35 (same price instore aswell) Connemara for 30. Nice prices but dont have an online account!!

That's very odd, they were in the Sindo yesterday advertised.
    Did you try checking out, maybe the shelf labels were not updated..?

Some good offers in O'Briens at the moment on Whiskey
    Picked up a Tyrconnell 16YO for 75

https://www.obrienswine.ie/spirits/spirits/irish-whiskey-sale.html

mik_da_man wrote: »
    That's very odd, they were in the Sindo yesterday advertised.
    Did you try checking out, maybe the shelf labels were not updated..?

Didnt try checking out, was mental busy in there when i went in (Athlone store) was queues at every till and self checkout was crazy. Gonna go back in again today after work to check again properly. All the bottles were there, just still had all the old prices on them :( Although the Roe & Coe did have the new price, and the end date on it, why update that and not the rest?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Didnt try checking out, was mental busy in there when i went in (Athlone store) was queues at every till and self checkout was crazy. Gonna go back in again today after work to check again properly. All the bottles were there, just still had all the old prices on them :( Although the Roe & Coe did have the new price, and the end date on it, why update that and not the rest?

Offers weren't displayed on the shelves at my local Tesco yesterday either but they scanned correctly at the till.

With my Sindo voucher, happy days! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Quackster wrote: »
    Offers weren't displayed on the shelves at my local Tesco yesterday either but they scanned correctly at the till.
    This was happening around christmas time too. I was telling people to use the instore scanners to check prices.

Also if you missed the sindo voucher there is often one the week after, i.e. this weekend, in the sunday world.

Some good offers in O'Briens at the moment on Whiskey
    Picked up a Tyrconnell 16YO for 75

https://www.obrienswine.ie/spirits/spirits/irish-whiskey-sale.html

Writers Tears for €40 and Jameson Crested for €30 ... nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Writers Tears for €40 and Jameson Crested for €30 ... nice.

Is the jameson crested nice? That and black barrel for 30 in tesco as mentioned earlier

Is the jameson crested nice? That and black barrel for 30 in tesco as mentioned earlier

I've had both and much preferred the Jameson Crested... wasn't too keen on the Black Barrel, would prefer standard Jameson over it to be honest. I thought the Crested was smoother, has a 'honey' quality to it.

Disclaimer: I seem to have a general preference for whiskeys aged in ex-sherry casks.

Now is a good time to try one or both!

For myself, I'm hoping to pickup a bottle of the Bushmills 10yo in Tesco :)

Decisions decisions

I'll just have to get both, such a hard life ;-)

Got a few 12 off 60 vouchers in the post today so will be off to Tesco to pick some up :D

Jameson is 20 in SuperValu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭interlocked

Jawbox Gin is £22.99 on an Amazon deal of the day, it's about €50 here.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LTHO30A?tag=ho01f-21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Today in Tesco they listed Gordon's Gin for €15 for 70cl in both standard and Pink, but at the Rathfarnam Tesco I went to, they had none of the standard and only two bottles of the Pink left. I got one of them; the checkout girl saw the price, went "ooh!", finished my things, closed the till and ran off to snag the last one for herself. :pac:

It's the first time I'm trying this type of gin: it has a redcurrant tang to it, and feels quite oily, but nice with plain tonic. I don't think it needs any more fruit, but that could be me.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

bnt wrote: »
    Today in Tesco they listed Gordon's Gin for €15 for 70cl in both standard and Pink, but at the Rathfarnam Tesco I went to, they had none of the standard and only two bottles of the Pink left. I got one of them; the checkout girl saw the price, went "ooh!", finished my things, closed the till and ran off to snag the last one for herself. :pac:

It's the first time I'm trying this type of gin: it has a redcurrant tang to it, and feels quite oily, but nice with plain tonic. I don't think it needs any more fruit, but that could be me.

I wouldn’t drink it on it’s own with tonic but it’s nice with prosecco and tonic, throw in a few strawberries cut in half with ice and it’s lovely. Very similar to the pink gins most pubs selling now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Apologies for something that is probably asked often. But how do I go about ordering alcohol from Amazon for delivery to Ireland? Is it possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Johnny Drama_11

errlloyd wrote: »
    Apologies for something that is probably asked often. But how do I go about ordering alcohol from Amazon for delivery to Ireland? Is it possible?

I have used parcel wizard in the past and had no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I have used parcel wizard in the past and had no problems.

It is illegal, both from a tax and excise point of view and from Parcel Wizards T and C’s. Lucky you if you got away with it but it could well be the next time that it’s stopped.

It is illegal, both from a tax and excise point of view and from Parcel Wizards T and C’s. Lucky you if you got away with it but it could well be the next time that it’s stopped.

Noted.

• Advertisement

12 year old redbreast is £31.70 in Sainsburys in Newry.

Raging that i missed that, seen the Greenspot, but didn't check the RB... :mad:

Raging that i missed that, seen the Greenspot, but didn't check the RB... :mad:

It's still available..........

It's still available..........

Cheers - Didn't realise as the first seller was not Amazon, but 3rd party for some reason...

Was in tesco last night and they had Chival Regal 18 year old. Normal price is €80 but new price now is €48. It wasnt yellow label either, white label with new price! So hopefully it'll stay as that! Obviously i had to pick up a bottle just in case....

• Advertisement

Was in tesco last night and they had Chival Regal 18 year old. Normal price is €80 but new price now is €48. It wasnt yellow label either, white label with new price! So hopefully it'll stay as that! Obviously i had to pick up a bottle just in case....

That was a great price!
    A mistake I'd say as I seen it advertised as a new addition to the range for €80 the other day. I must check again today...

That was a great price!
    A mistake I'd say as I seen it advertised as a new addition to the range for €80 the other day. I must check again today...

Its been in my local Tesco the last couple of months at 80 quid, so i might get a couple more just in case it is a mistake!!

it seems to be around the 80 price range in other places, and on their website! so it's a mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭littlesthobo

Posted in bargain alerts but relevant to here too. Brewdog dead pony club 4pk €1.50 in Tesco. Spotted in Nenagh, could be in other stores, staff said it was an error but got it at price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I was in M&S today. Selected beers are buy 3, get one free. Brú, Metalman and O'Hara's are included in said deal, making them all come in at around €9 for 4 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

I was in M&S today. Selected beers are buy 3, get one free. Brú, Metalman and O'Hara's are included in said deal, making them all come in at around €9 for 4 :)

Some of their own brand stuff is very nice as well.

Hopbot by hop city is currently €1.12 in tesco santry.

Wunderbar by rascals also €1.12 in tesco artane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭littlesthobo

Picked up the last 3 bottles of Inedit Damm 750ml for €2 each in Tesco Nenagh. Probably clearance. Great price and its lovely stuff. Might be in other stores

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Tanqueray gin export strength (43.1%) €20 in TESCO

Beefeater was €21

Plymouth €22

Picked this up for €10 in Aldi in Cork (Elysian) yesterday, seems like great value!

https://www.aldi.co.uk/premium-whisky-gift-box/p/079414187036900

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Picked this up for €10 in Aldi in Cork (Elysian) yesterday, seems like great value!

https://www.aldi.co.uk/premium-whisk...79414187036900

Dead link.
    You'll have to describe it!

Dead link.
    You'll have to describe it!

Updated the link :)
    Bottles are 50 ml
    A very special three-bottle selection of Scottish malt whiskies, presented in a stylish wooden box. Each set includes Jura, an aged whisky from Jura with notes of oak and caramel, Speyburn, a bold, smooth aged malt whisky from the Highlands and Ledaig, a smoky single malt peated whisky from the Isle of Mull, plus a whisky appreciation guide and tasting glass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Updated the link :)
    Bottles are 50 ml

At the end of the day it's 150ml of Scotch for a tenner. Bargain? Be a grand stocking filler or thing-to-give-work-people for Chrimbo I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're dearer products than average. Jura is an interesting whiskey, found that if its room temperature its very lacking and if its diluted (ice) its very lacking but simply cold - fridge or those stones - brings out a lot.

The other two were (well, are, its still in stock a lot of places) in a Lidl set with presumably the same 'appreciation guide', some stones and a weirder and less useful glass for more than that tenner.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    At the end of the day it's 150ml of Scotch for a tenner. Bargain? Be a grand stocking filler or thing-to-give-work-people for Chrimbo I suppose.

Yeah, of course it's dearer per ml than buying a full bottle.
    But you won't get 3 50ml bottles of any whiskey and a imo decent little glass cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭sceach16

Yeah, of course it's dearer per ml than buying a full bottle.
    But you won't get 3 50ml bottles of any whiskey and a imo decent little glass cheaper.

Also a good way to taste/retaste various styles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The ill-named Flying Dog - Doggie style Pale Ale is €1.20 a bottle in Tesco Ballybrack. They have a few of cases. It's not bad - certainly good value for money at that price point, and not short-dated.

Best of the rest would probably be 4 x 330ml Founders Mosaic Promise for €10, (which is actually short-dated but not labelled as such), so may not be as good as its earlier bottling days. A good tipple at the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

The ill-named Flying Dog - Doggie style Pale Ale is €1.20 a bottle in Tesco Ballybrack. They have a few of cases. It's not bad - certainly good value for money at that price point, and not short-dated.

Best of the rest would probably be 4 x 330ml Founders Mosaic Promise for €10, (which is actually short-dated but not labelled as such), so may not be as good as its earlier bottling days. A good tipple at the price.

Ill-named? That's a GREAT name. They also have one called Raging Bitch :D

Spotted brewdog punk ipa and session ale 330ml cans @ 4 for 8 quid in Dunnes (Swan center rathmines)

Sure it'd be rude not to...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭poitinstill

lidl.....4x500 ml bottles of konrad bison ale. 7%....6.99 its very nice well hoppy for a czech one . beware it tastes no where near 7%

Advertisement