Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Drink Bargain Alerts!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I had a couple of bottles of it last summer when I was down in Killarney. Wasn't particularly impressed with it to be honest but I can't for the life of me remember which ones I had, I just know I didn't think much of it or of the Killarney brewing beers I tried down there too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Saw this in the Bargain Alerts thread:

Anyone familiar with this stuff? Not much mention of it in here and the most recent was about 4 years ago and a lot can change in that time.

Based in Killarney. They seemed to be doing a good trade a few years ago and it was recommended, but then they disappeared for a good 4 years or so. Same guy back doing it. Haven't heard if the new stuff is ok or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Based in Killarney. They seemed to be doing a good trade a few years ago and it was recommended, but then they disappeared for a good 4 years or so. Same guy back doing it. Haven't heard if the new stuff is ok or not.

They were always still selling down I the bars in killarney Town but it's not great tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Seve OB wrote: »
    anywhere around dublin doing a decent offer on some sancerre or pouilly fume?

Honeslty best prices on decent bottles of each tends to come in the supervalu French wine and cheese sales.

Happen regular enough, get bottles for 15 euro. Multi deals used to be great in top of this. Sadly that and vouchers no longer valid is a sad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kop Idol

anywhere around dublin doing a decent offer on some sancerre or pouilly fume?

Saw this on offer, not sure if its any good or not >> https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/the-easter-wine-cellar/pouilly-fume-aop-13/p8272

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Kop Idol wrote: »
    Saw this on offer, not sure if its any good or not >> https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/the-easter-wine-cellar/pouilly-fume-aop-13/p8272

Thanks.
    I’ll pick up a box later on and let you know ;)

Just a heads up for anyone who might be interested, the Lidl craft beers and Belgian range are back on sale tomorrow. They have 6 different Belgians to choose from....2 x Piraat, 2 x Gulden Draak and 2 x Bornem.....all in the 9%-11% range and all 4 for a tenner. Full details here.

They have a limited number of multi packs with each of the 6 in them, and they're supposed to be on sale for €15. However, a number of branches have stared to sell them already and they're selling them at the wrong price. I bought 6 x 6 packs yesterday in the branch in Gulliver's Retail park. I know for a fact that one of the Swords branches and the Artane branch were also selling them for €10.

Might be worth a trip if anyone is on the look out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Regular prices really, have seen 4pack of punk for €8 before in Tesco's but normal price is €10.

• Advertisement

I forgot to mention in my two posts above, those brewdog and brú beers as well as the porterhouse and White hag selections are available in every Lidl I've been in since yesterday morning, and that's about 8 branches all told.

I forgot to mention in my two posts above, those brewdog and brú beers as well as the porterhouse and White hag selections are available in every Lidl I've been in since yesterday morning, and that's about 8 branches all told.

Standard prices, cheaper in tesco for Punk IPA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭donaghs

Thanks.
    I’ll pick up a box later on and let you know ;)

Bit disappointing that the Lidl 4 packs of 330ml cans are only €10. (e.g. white hag, rebel red etC). often cheaper in tesco, and you can buy lots of different craft 330ml cans singly for €2.50 each in lots of offies.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

Great stuff. I would like to think you were looking for something particular in Lidl to visit 8 of them in a day and not some sort of Lidl-fancier .............

Great stuff. I would like to think you were looking for something particular in Lidl to visit 8 of them in a day and not some sort of Lidl-fancier .............

The annual Lidl Belgian beer pre-sale hunt! They do this every time they have those high strength Belgian beers in. One of my outlaws is married to a German guy and he runs a tight ship when it comes to his beers! Likes to have things organised, if you get me. Splitting up and checking different branches is just so more efficient.

They have a few 4 packs of belgian beer in there

Any recommendations for e regular, hoegarden/leffe/franziskaner drinker?

Was hoping Lidl would get the big leffe bottles in again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Stay local :)

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

They have a few 4 packs of belgian beer in there

Any recommendations for e regular, hoegarden/leffe/franziskaner drinker?

Was hoping Lidl would get the big leffe bottles in again

The Piraat blonde (blue label) is probably the closest to leffe of the bottles on offer. Maybe a bit closer to Chimay, if you're familiar with their range?

The simple solution is to get the 6-pack and try each of them, then wake up on the sofa with the dog licking your face and still be clueless as to which one you prefer because you can't piece together the last 4 hours of the night before. You know, like a normal person........:pac:

In all honesty, if you're well able for leffe blonde, then you'll be fine. The white Gulden draak is lovely, but you'd need to be a seasoned "high-percentage" beer drinker to get over that kind of twang you normally get with beers that are 8%+............or is it the black one.....:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭Macy0161

donaghs wrote: »
    Bit disappointing that the Lidl 4 packs of 330ml cans are only €10. (e.g. white hag, rebel red etC). often cheaper in tesco, and you can buy lots of different craft 330ml cans singly for €2.50 each in lots of offies.
    You can actually buy those white hag ones individually for €2.50 - picked up a couple today. A bit disappointed there's not a token discount, like the Porterhouse and Brú.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,909 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Macy0161 wrote: »
    You can actually buy those white hag ones individually for €2.50 - picked up a couple today. A bit disappointed there's not a token discount, like the Porterhouse and Brú.

Not legal if they sell the singles. Though vastly widely flouted.

It is surely legal if they're priced €2.50 each rather than 4 for €10? i.e. I brought 2 @ €2.50. I didn't have to buy four to get them at that price, so they weren't a multibuy offer.

• Advertisement

It is surely legal if they're priced €2.50 each rather than 4 for €10? i.e. I brought 2 @ €2.50. I didn't have to buy four to get them at that price, so they weren't a multibuy offer.

A 'token discount' for the box would be illegal if the same product was available as singles.

L1011 wrote: »
    A 'token discount' for the box would be illegal if the same product was available as singles.
    Even if they weren't available individually in that store?

Even if they weren't available individually in that store?

Questionable, but I read your post as saying they were?

No, I was saying that it was a little disappointing they weren't cheaper in lidl, than independent off licences. It's not much, but the Brú and Porterhouse are 2.79 in lidl compared to the (at best) €3 in other places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭toffeeshel

then wake up on the sofa with the dog licking your face:

And you don’t own a dog

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Was in Lidl today seeking one of their weekly specials, but saw they had a Macon Villages reduced from 9.99 to 5.99. No idea what it may be like, but seems exceptional value for a Macon Villages, I bought six.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Probably mentioned before but the 6pk of Belgian ales in Lidl is still around at €9.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Standard prices, cheaper in tesco for Punk IPA

O'Briens have the 4 pack of punk for €8, even the local Londis are only €10 where you expect you pay more.

I've been getting the O'Shea's new pale Dawn in Aldi as a cheaper alternative, 500ml 4.8% €1.79. Its not bad at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The 75cl bottles in Lidl - Vauclair and Imperiale - I looked at the ingredients list, and there are three sugars.

Sugar
    Inverted syrup
    Glucose syrup

Is it just me, or do strong Belgian ales seem to have added sugar? Or a lot of added sugar?

I realise sugar is involved in fermentation, but what I am referring to here is added sugar.

For example, sugar as an ingredient is not listed on weiss bier labels, and the Beamish label says 0% sugar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The Piraat blonde (blue label) is probably the closest to leffe of the bottles on offer. Maybe a bit closer to Chimay, if you're familiar with their range?

The simple solution is to get the 6-pack and try each of them, then wake up on the sofa with the dog licking your face and still be clueless as to which one you prefer because you can't piece together the last 4 hours of the night before. You know, like a normal person........:pac:

In all honesty, if you're well able for leffe blonde, then you'll be fine. The white Gulden draak is lovely, but you'd need to be a seasoned "high-percentage" beer drinker to get over that kind of twang you normally get with beers that are 8%+............or is it the black one.....:confused:

I have gone off those strong Belgian ales, 10.5% is just too strong......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Geuze wrote: »
    I have gone off those strong Belgian ales, 10.5% is just too strong......

Suit yourself more for me lol

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Is it just me, or do strong Belgian ales seem to have added sugar? Or a lot of added sugar?
    Not just you, it's a longstanding tradition of Belgian brewing. There's a knack to using sugar to boost the gravity without making the beer heavier that Belgian brewers have perfected. Duvel is my go-to example of it.
    For example, sugar as an ingredient is not listed on weiss bier labels
    German tradition is the complete opposite: a weissbier brewer would be howled out of business for adding sugar; a German lager brewer would be arrested for breaking the law, and then howled out of business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

BeerNut wrote: »
    Not just you, it's a longstanding tradition of Belgian brewing. There's a knack to using sugar to boost the gravity without making the beer heavier that Belgian brewers have perfected. Duvel is my go-to example of it.

German tradition is the complete opposite: a weissbier brewer would be howled out of business for adding sugar; a German lager brewer would be arrested for breaking the law, and then howled out of business.

This! The Bavarian Purity Law for beer, which was later adopted for all of Germany, is actually 505 years old today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,244 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

On the sugar thing: It's not like they add sugar to the finished beer. It is added before fermentation.
    The sugar gets a chance to ferment into alcohol just like all the malt sugars. Adding sugar to a wort doesn't, necessarily, make for a sweeter finished beer. The sweetness often found in strong Belgian beers is far more likely to come from malt sugars than from added processed sugar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Both Gunpowder and Method & Madness gin @ €35 in Tesco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭adam240610

The white Gulden Draak is a top-notch beer, especially if you pour it properly, an absolute steal at 4 for a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭AhhHere

Lots of the craft beer 4 packs were reduced in Lidl Aungier street. Got Fran well, Sierra Nevada, Brew dog for 8/9 euro each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭GBX

AhhHere wrote: »
    Lots of the craft beer 4 packs were reduced in Lidl Aungier street. Got Fran well, Sierra Nevada, Brew dog for 8/9 euro each.

They still had some in Lidl Citywest as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,805 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Tesco have an Italian red wine, Piccini's Memoro reduced half price to €10.
    While I'm a little dubious about the €20 rrp, at €10 it's a very nice wine to go with any tomato based dish.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=268451032

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

AhhHere wrote: »
    My local Lidl was restocked with the €9.99 Belgian six-pack beer boxes at the weekend.

At that price, it would have been an absolute sin not to relieve them of a few more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Tesco have an Italian red wine, Piccini's Memoro reduced half price to €10.
    While I'm a little dubious about the €20 rrp, at €10 it's a very nice wine to go with any tomato based dish.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=268451032

Full price in the UK is £8.00 - £8.50. allowing for higher tax,, that's max €12 here.

Tesco so called half price offers are misleading customers as they always do

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

SuperValu has PowersGold Label back at €27 for a litre, until Wednesday 19th May.

Darc19 wrote: »
    Full price in the UK is £8.00 - £8.50. allowing for higher tax,, that's max €12 here.

Tesco so called half price offers are misleading customers as they always do

That's a good idea to cross check the Tesco UK price.
    Yeah, I was a bit dubious about €20 for it but at €12 or cheaper worth a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Jameson black barrel @ 35 in supervalu - haven't tried this, is it worth a go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

MacDanger wrote: »

Yes. Not sure about best prices but it's a lovely whiskey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

MacDanger wrote: »

That's about as cheap as you'll find it before the Xmas price drops. Definitely worth picking up at that price. Lovely whiskey.

Chivas Regal 12 Year Old blended scotch whisky is down to €33 in Tesco from €44 rrp.
    Lovely drop.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=256565653

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Bassfish wrote: »
    That's about as cheap as you'll find it before the Xmas price drops. Definitely worth picking up at that price. Lovely whiskey.

Picked up a bottle of black barrel earlier, thanks!

Supervalu have a magnum of Italian red Masi Campofiorin for €25.
    Valid: May 20th - May 26th

For comparison, regular bottle is on offer in SV at €15 and it is at €20rrp in O'Briens.

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/product/1763732000

• Registered Users Posts: 5 larryvee

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Supervalu have a magnum of Italian red Masi Campofiorin for €25.
    Valid: May 20th - May 26th

For comparison, regular bottle is on offer in SV at €15 and it is at €20rrp in O'Briens.

That's a pretty good deal. When I first saw it I thought they were overcharging for a standard size bottle. Decent drop.

• Advertisement
Advertisement