Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Drink Bargain Alerts!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

https://foodonfire.ie/collections/alcoholic-beverages/products/barbacoa-rum

"Great Norther Larder" are a BBQ spice and dry rub kind of company, used to have their own site but looks like they're selling via the "food on Fire" website now. They've a deal on where if you spend €100 you get 50% off, including their spirits section (can't post proper links as it's a new account).

The rum is lovely, haven't tried the gin yet. Like a lightly spiced, dark rum, kind of a mix between Lamb's navy and Lamb's spiced if you know either/both of those. Well worth €18 per bottle incl discount. Three bottles for €55 ain't bad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The website doesn't say anything about it being spiced!

Are you saying that it's "spicy" or that it's actually spiced. I'd be pretty annoyed if I bought a bottle of what I thought was rum, only to find out that it's actually a spiced, rum flavoured spirit drink. I'd be making a complaint about it.

Edit: I checked with them. It's not spiced.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

O'Hara's White Haze IPA is down from €3.20 to €2.00 in Dunnes. 500mL, 5.0% ABV

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

ALDI will have Puca Irish Whiskey in stores Sunday 11th June priced €25.

https://leaflets.aldi.ie/view/791151019/22/#zoom=true

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Putting it here purely because everywhere else increased the price.. O’Briens in Galway have Lagavulin 16 on the shelf at 84. Not the first time in the last few months that I have been able to pick one up there at that price either.

Slane whiskey €26 in Dunnes. Normal price €35, not worth that really but at €26 it's decent value for a whiskey a cut above the IDL value brands.

Jameson Caskmates IPA and Stout editions are finally selling at €25 in Dunnes, which is what their non-offer selling price should be really.

Scrap the cap!

€25 is really very cheap for any Irish whiskey, considering the production process, ingredients and duty/vat. Really, I don't see how it could be cheaper and profitable.

It always amazes me that cheap whiskey isn't really much more expensive than cheap vodka or gin! They are worlds apart in the cost and process of production!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Regular Jameson @ MUP from Thursday in Lidl.

You should see what Irish whiskey sells for in the Canaries and nobody is losing money there! Of course that shows the effect of duty and VAT. But pre-MUP we still had cheaper Irish whiskey brands like Dunphys and the Lidl / Aldi ones.

IDL's distillery is huge, the economies of scale are enormous. If anyone is not making much money at the above prices it's Slane.

Scrap the cap!

Or really simply stated, Jameson at 22.09 in Lidl from Thursday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Redbreast 12 is 55 euro in Tesco (club card deal) until Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Lidl has Waterloo Triple Blond beer (8%) at the moment, 4 x 33cl for €8.49. I like the Belgian Blonds.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

Any regular beer deals? Having a christening this weekend and will need a few 20 packs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Last of the Zipfer left in beer god for anyone with a blade, tastes good even though at the best before, polished a keg of it the other night just got some more. €35, 8 Liters.

https://thebeergod.net/products/zipfer-urtyp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Dunnes Childers Road Limerick - Jameson Single Pot still reduced from 60 to 50, label only they were all gone. hopefully back again but might be available in other stores

last Friday, i saw a label in dunnes portlaoise for a more expensive Red Breast but can't rem the label name - reduced from 110 to 95. again, none left on shelf unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭jh79

Just got a 200ml bottle of Stout Caskmates in Dunnes for 6 euro. No idea if local or nationwide.

Marks and Spencer have 20% off their 'Classics' wine range. Time to stock up if you have a particular favourite. The Cotes du Rhone and Beaujolais Villages must be nice cos someone had cleared them out in my local M&S. I got a Claret, Pinotage and Chianti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Whiskey and peanut butter flavoured liqueur. On special for €20 in SuperValu till tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Free shipping at the moment on whiskey site IrishMalts.

Code is FREESHIPAUG23

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Knappogue Castle 14 is down to €60 in dunnes.

This is well worth it imo. (it's way nicer than the 16)

A nice deal from Irish online retailer Wines of the World on a mixed set of 6 bottles of Cabernet Sauvignon for €56.80

Think delivery is free with that case.

Dunnes have 20% off all French wines and champagne

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭mrm

Paddys Share €36 in Tesco. Check your local.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Tesco NI seem to be clearing Jura Journey off their shelves. Picked up a bottle for £10.11p the other day. To be fair, its probably terrible like most Jura releases recently but still, for a single malt, 10 quid....baragin.

Foxes Bowe was €29 earlier this week un SuperValu- not sure if it’s still available as my local store doesn’t stock it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

this is a cross border bargain aleart but the Rye River range 4 packs at 330ml are e packs for £15 in Lidl NI at the minute including packs of Francis' Bagning IPA

roe & co is the pick of offers this weekend - €25 in centra

lots of offers across all stores on spirits for the bh weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 15 davissgurban

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Aldi

Blue Spot (batch 4) in Ardkeen stores in Waterford €95.

That's the cheapest price I've seen.

They've 2 left!

Quite sweet. Much smoother than most cheaper (basic) whiskeys and quite smooth drank neat with just ice.

I'm going to take the bait, here.

I think you are confusing "smooth" with just having less alcohol and lots of sugar. This liqueur is only 35% abv compared to min 40% of any whiskey. Alcohol burns somewhat on the palate, so weaker drinks appear "smoother". It's not a sign of quality. If you were to compare the "smoothness" of two products fairly, they should both be the same strength.

Also it really doesn't make sense to compare a 35% liqueur to a whiskey. They are completely different things. One is full of sugar and flavourings, the other is just barrel aged spirit and water. They aren't even closely related as drinks.

Sometimes the burn isn't alcohol - it can also be from how the whiskey was made, you'll notice a difference between column distilled Jameson say and a pot still at same ABV.

I'm well aware of this. It's why I suggested if comparing "smoothness", the products should be of the same abv. If I didn't believe there could be more to it than, abv, why would I suggest comparing products with the same abv.

Notwithstanding, your correct point above, the overriding factor in "smoothness" will be the abv.

In the situation we are taking about, do you think this perceived "smoothness" is due to low abv and added sugar, or do you think it's down to the way the whiskey component was made?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

I was really worried for a sec he was adding ice to the Blue Spot! 😱

I'll accept adding it to a liquor!

Ah didnt realise we were talking about the sheep dog liqueur, thought it was a full whiskey ... had to scan backup the page.

I will stick to my mix of Baileys (or lidl version of it) and Brandy if I want that kind of drink the odd time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Baileys and Southern Comfort, over crushed ice.

You’re welcome

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Wasn’t talking to you 🤣

was a comparison to the lad who enjoys brandy & baileys

Technically correct, I'm just going by the smell and taste being more pleasurable to me than whiskey.

And I'm just back from a two week break in Zante that was all food and drink inclusive, and was taking advantage of that including all local brand spirits

Powers John’s Lane reduced to 60 in Dunnes. Not as good as the 50 euro earlier in the year, but still reasonable. Wasn’t marked down on the shelf in my local, but the website lists it from today and it scanned at 60.

Black barrel €32 in tesco.

Tesco matching from tomorrow if unavailable in dunnes..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭head82

Powers Three Swallow for €25 in SuperValu. Cheapest I've ever seen it at.

Stock up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Lagavulin 16 in o briens for €85 currently. Picked one up in galway over the weekend. About 30 cheaper than most other places I've seen that actually have it in stock.

• Advertisement

Today's the last day of the supervalu sale prices.

Advertisement